QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by AMSTAR » 23 Aug 2018, 5:37 pm

Update...

The Police have cancelled the safe inspection saying they didn't realise I was a new applicant.

Phoned WLB to check on the status of application and the nice lady told me it hadn't even been looked at. She said she would look at mine next and I had the approval email in less than 30 mins. 1st PTA came through in 2 hrs, now just waiting for the 2nd PTA and the licence.
AMSTAR
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by drewvale » 24 Aug 2018, 7:45 am

AMSTAR wrote:Update...

The Police have cancelled the safe inspection saying they didn't realise I was a new applicant.

Phoned WLB to check on the status of application and the nice lady told me it hadn't even been looked at. She said she would look at mine next and I had the approval email in less than 30 mins. 1st PTA came through in 2 hrs, now just waiting for the 2nd PTA and the licence.

Congratulation!

how long did you wait exactly from the day 1 before you make the phone call to WLB.
seems like call them will make it faster however I still have 2 more weeks then total 3 months after application.
should I wait a bit and call them because I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Updated

received local police check this morning by email and I went to straightaway.
Do i need to reply them that I have completed or the local police station will notify them?
drewvale
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AMSTAR » 24 Aug 2018, 5:45 pm

drewvale wrote:
AMSTAR wrote:Update...

Congratulation!

how long did you wait exactly from the day 1 before you make the phone call to WLB.
seems like call them will make it faster however I still have 2 more weeks then total 3 months after application.
should I wait a bit and call them because I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Updated

received local police check this morning by email and I went to straightaway.
Do i need to reply them that I have completed or the local police station will notify them?

When you carry out the ID check it usually appears on the system straight away, if you haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks just give them a polite phone call to follow up. I rang them at the 11 weeks and 2 days just to make sure everything was in order.
AMSTAR
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Angel » 28 Aug 2018, 6:17 am

Timeline CAT H
Applied 25/04
Email on 14/08
Plastic in the Mail 27/08.
Now off to the range i go...
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Aug 2018, 9:04 am

AMSTAR wrote:
Tillaan wrote:Had Cat A&B (3 rifles) for 18 months and recently got Cat H and Pistol still no inspection. So you might be special :)

It seems very strange, perhaps my name just came up for some reason?

Inspection is not a requirement for new licence application approval, however it is a requirement for your first PTA approval. That's not to say that they do it for everone, but they are suppose to.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 03 Sep 2018, 2:53 pm

Applied Cat A/B 07/05/18
ID check email 08/08/18
Approval email 13/08/18

Still waiting for the card in the mail
WLB is part of the “public service” ,their service is very very poor.
My son’s driver licence only took a week to be delivered what’s the difference?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Sep 2018, 4:28 pm

Patriot wrote:Applied Cat A/B 07/05/18
ID check email 08/08/18
Approval email 13/08/18

Just something I remember hearing/reading about somewhere (so no Idea how true but someone will jump in if its not :lol: ) but the firearm license is printed down south somewhere maybe melb :unknown: and then sent back. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 03 Sep 2018, 5:10 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Just something I remember hearing/reading about somewhere (so no Idea how true but someone will jump in if its not :lol: ) but the firearm license is printed down south somewhere maybe melb :unknown: and then sent back. :drinks:

Now you've thrown interstate Aust Post into the mix it could blow out from 15 weeks to 15 months to get a licence :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toppy91 » 06 Sep 2018, 9:52 pm

Just a heads up for anyone, apparently licensing is bad at passing on that your application is approved. I waited 9 days after Licence approval and called to check. They admitted they were waiting on word on my licence and had my PTA approved 10 minutes later. My licence was approved on August 22 after applying June 6th.
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 07 Sep 2018, 4:06 pm

Approval email 13.08.18

Still waiting for card!

Anyone else had to wait this long?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toppy91 » 07 Sep 2018, 4:16 pm

Patriot wrote:Approval email 13.08.18

Still waiting for card!

I was about 12 weeks from application to card arriving
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 07 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm

Toppy91 wrote:

Still waiting for card!

I rang WLB today and was told very abruptly to wait another week and then call back.

This mob are bloody useless

I am sure they are just trying to frustrate applicants into giving up.

I have a pta that’s approved just waiting for the waiting period to expire.

Can you actually possess the firearm without having the plastic card.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 07 Sep 2018, 7:41 pm

To add to your angst, just a little, what about taking a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10551 and try and figure how it's going to pan out.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 10 Sep 2018, 5:05 pm

Patriot wrote:
Toppy91 wrote:

Still waiting for card!

I rang WLB today and was told very abruptly to wait another week and then call back.

This mob are bloody useless

I am sure they are just trying to frustrate applicants into giving up.

I have a pta that’s approved just waiting for the waiting period to expire.

Can you actually possess the firearm without having the plastic card.

No you cannot posses a firearm without the plastic card.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 12 Sep 2018, 5:55 pm

It is now 30 friggin days since approval email and still no licence card.

Have been told by WLB I will have to fill out stat dec stating I never received card and they will have to reprint.Can see that taking another 2 months.

Serenity Now!!!
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 15 Sep 2018, 11:20 am

After reading thru the posts here, I'm not looking forward to the future after submitting my Cat H renewal 2wks ago. I submitted my renewal paperwork at the local station rather than via the on line system. Mainly due the pisspoor internet service provided by that other wank mob, Telstra.
Last time I had to do a renewal, I was overseas with work. I made sure I had everything sorted & the forms submitted prior to leaving Aust. as I would be away for 7mths. Within 2wks of the expiry date the local lads were chasing to find out why I hadn't renewed & where my firearms were. I'd had an email from WLB informing me my licenses had expired and that I had to surrender/ sell them if I wasn't renewing etc. The wife let me know the locals had been round.
That visit in itself was not wholly polite until they found out I was military and deployed to the Middle East. The wife also told them that I'd submitted everything before deploying. Both then changed tune & suggested there may be & problem with WLB. No s**t Sherlock!
I did the legwork chasing WLB & the station where I'd submitted the paperwork. Not easy with a bloody 7hr time difference! WLB were adamant nothing had been received & not very helpful. The clerk at the station I'd submitted the paperwork, knew exactly what was going on & said this wasn't the first time this had happened. WLB were well known for losing paperwork. So she had taken to keeping a full copy on file of each submission, then sent everything via registered post with signature receipt notification. So she knew when it was received & who signed for it. With this info I was able to get the problem sorted immediately & an apology from the individual concerned.
That said, Qld WLB has had massive position cuts, redundancies & people quitting. Ergo, now critically understaffed. Hence the major delays. Wednesdays are a 'no calls' day to allow then to concentrate on admin without interruption. Yes, these new ID cards with the chip in them are printed in a secure facility in Melbourne, so furthers delays with another s**t service provider-
AustPost! All of which just makes for greater delays.
While WLB holds a degree of the blame for the service issues, problems etc, the real blame lies with the government in power and a labck of consideration for the service provided. The current mob of wankers in power are more concerned with their own political agendas then common sense effective service provision.

Anyway, I guess I'll be just sitting waiting.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 19 Sep 2018, 1:30 pm

Latest Cat H - S/A 9mm PTA approved in 2.5 business days Applied online Saturday (PM) 15 Sep. Approved AM Wednesday 19 Sep.
Can't complain about that.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 27 Sep 2018, 10:24 am

Applied for Cat A and B 19/7
Applied for PTA 27/7
ID check email 25/9 and completed 26/9
Approval email 27/9 for both.
Plastic pending

Happy days!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 04 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

Rapid wrote:Applied for Cat A and B 19/7
Applied for PTA 27/7
Plastic pending

Happy days!

Got your plastic yet mate?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 05 Oct 2018, 1:11 am

Patriot wrote:
Applied for PTA 27/7
Plastic pending

Happy days!

Not yet mate. If I work it out as they say within 10-14 Working Days. Then the earliest (to be safe) would be next Friday 12th (cause we had a public hol) up to the 18th. After that I'll be on the phone to chase it up. Will post when/if it arrives.
Last edited by Rapid on 05 Oct 2018, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

After reading this thread in its full.... and the snake thread...I am never moving to QLD.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 05 Oct 2018, 1:33 pm

Rapid wrote:
Patriot wrote:
Applied for PTA 27/7
Plastic pending

Happy days!

Not yet mate. If I work it out as they say within 10-14 Working Days. Then the earliest (to be safe) would be next Friday 12th (cause we had a public hol) up to the 18th. After that I'll be on the phone to chase it up. Will post when/if it arrives.

Still waiting on my plastic
It’s been 8 weeks since the approval email
Great service
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 05 Oct 2018, 2:17 pm

Patriot wrote:
Rapid wrote:
Patriot wrote:
Applied for PTA 27/7
Plastic pending

Happy days!

Great service

8 weeks?! - that sucks big time. Have you chased them up? I won't have that much patience - I've got gear paid for and waiting to be picked up.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 05 Oct 2018, 2:35 pm

Rapid wrote:
Patriot wrote:
Rapid wrote:
Patriot wrote:
Applied for PTA 27/7
Plastic pending

Happy days!

Great service

8 weeks?! - that sucks big time. Have you chased them up? I won't have that much patience - I've got gear paid for and waiting to be picked up.

Yes mate,phoned them many times
I have had to submit a stat dec saying I have not recieved the card in the post.
Spoke to them a week ago,they say they received the stat dec and will now reprint...hopefully I get it within 10-14 business days.
Yes I also have a nice new Impala Plus 28 inch wood stock bolt action shottie paid for waiting to be picked up.

But can’t posses it until I have the card.
It sucks big time and the staff at WLB do give a damn about their blatant and deliberate incompetence
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 05 Oct 2018, 3:04 pm

Patriot wrote:Yes mate,phoned them many times
I have had to submit a stat dec saying I have not recieved the card in the post.
Spoke to them a week ago,they say they received the stat dec and will now reprint...hopefully I get it within 10-14 business days.
Yes I also have a nice new Impala Plus 28 inch wood stock bolt action shottie paid for waiting to be picked up.

But can’t posses it until I have the card.
It sucks big time and the staff at WLB do give a damn about their blatant and deliberate incompetence

Total madness mate. Now I'm sweating!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 11 Oct 2018, 11:12 pm

Patriot wrote:Applied Cat A/B 07/05/18
ID check email 08/08/18
Approval email 13/08/18

Card in the mail today

60 days since approval email
Off to the LGS
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rapid » 11 Oct 2018, 11:19 pm

Patriot wrote:
Card in the mail today

60 days since approval email
Off to the LGS

Great to hear mate!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fungus » 23 Oct 2018, 5:24 pm

Hi All
First post
Application 14/07/18
ID Check 28/09/18
Approval for both PTA and License 08/10/18
Card arrived 22/10/18
Around 13 weeks, cant complain too much about that as I was expecting to take that long.
just picked up my first Rifle after 15 years of being gun free .Tikka CTR 308 Australian Edition, with a Night force SHV 5-20x56 scope.
Fungus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by r.dunn » 14 Nov 2018, 8:58 pm

Hi All,

I’m a new member here, but stumbled across this forum last night when I was Googling waiting times! I guess it was fortuitous as I actually received my approval email today!

So, to update everyone on the current processing times:

Application Submitted (Cat A/B): 10/09/18
ID Check Requested: 13/10/18
ID Check Completed: 19/10/18
Approval Email: 14/11/18

*** UPDATE ***

As at 13/12/18 (four weeks post approval email), I had not yet received the card. I completed a Statutory Declaration and submitted this to the Central Police Station. I contacted WLB today (18/12/18) to confirm this had been received; it had, and I was told the re-issue would be processed tomorrow. However, I just arrived home and, wouldn't you know it, the card was delivered in today's post.

Card Arrived: 18/12/18

Therefore, from application to card, it's 14 weeks.

Now, off to the LGS to pick up my rifle...it's been waiting for me!).
22LR Lithgow LA101 Crossover
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws