Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2019, 12:05 pm

ZXRR wrote:Way too many lefties in this country, who think peoples rights ends where their feelings begin, The whole system needs a re-work, C/H should be on A&B, and the licenses should expire every 10 years.

It got me thinking, imagine if we did get to buy 10/22... it will probably costs us each $2000 seeing these ridiculous prices as of late (Especially surplus military rifles).


When I bought my 10/22 in 1983 it was $220. My Remington 788 .222Rem was 199. A sporterised M96 6.5x55mm was $160 and an original M38 6.5x55mm was $99. The 10/22 was never a "cheap" rifle. Nowadays the 10/22 is $700, as is a Remington 783. If anything, the 10/22 is now cheaper than it was 35 years ago. I paid $800 for my M38 though, milsurps are getting expensive these days.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4768
Victoria

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by ZXRR » 10 Jan 2019, 1:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ZXRR wrote:Way too many lefties in this country, who think peoples rights ends where their feelings begin, The whole system needs a re-work, C/H should be on A&B, and the licenses should expire every 10 years.

It got me thinking, imagine if we did get to buy 10/22... it will probably costs us each $2000 seeing these ridiculous prices as of late (Especially surplus military rifles).


When I bought my 10/22 in 1983 it was $220. My Remington 788 .222Rem was 199. A sporterised M96 6.5x55mm was $160 and an original M38 6.5x55mm was $99. The 10/22 was never a "cheap" rifle. Nowadays the 10/22 is $700, as is a Remington 783. If anything, the 10/22 is now cheaper than it was 35 years ago. I paid $800 for my M38 though, milsurps are getting expensive these days.


Interesting prices, it's a shame i missed all of them as i wasn't even born! As for the price of the 10/22 now, it's surprising especially in australia. Though it makes sense since i even see M1 carbines for around 600-700+. Prices of milsurps are just getting embarrassing these days, especially as someone that loves shooting them and collects.

Typical simple NO4 MK1 going for around $1100-1300 these days (Which is ridiculous).
ZXRR
Private
Private
 
Posts: 15
Victoria

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2019, 1:28 pm

ZXRR wrote:Interesting prices, it's a shame i missed all of them as i wasn't even born! As for the price of the 10/22 now, it's surprising especially in australia. Though it makes sense since i even see M1 carbines for around 600-700+. Prices of milsurps are just getting embarrassing these days, especially as someone that loves shooting them and collects.

Typical simple NO4 MK1 going for around $1100-1300 these days (Which is ridiculous).


It could perhaps be argued that the true cost of owning a 10/22 is significantly higher due to the security and licencing required, but the cost of the rifle itself is excellent. For similar money though, the Ruger American is a far better rifle.

Yep, milsurps seem to have really taken off in recent years. I paid $800 for my basic M91/30 with bayonet and sling about four years ago.
My No.4 Mk1* was about $800 delivered from SA about four years ago, with spike bayonet, sling and 400 bullets, no brass unfortunately.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4768
Victoria

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by cracker » 10 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

iv found that semi auto 22lrs are cheap as chips because theres no real market for them.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 82
Victoria

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by magnum56 » 15 Jan 2019, 2:13 pm

Windston wrote:
magnum56 wrote:
Windston wrote:I just turned 18 and apart from that meaning getting my Cat A/B, it also means that I can vote. I have been looking into it, David Leyonhjelm and the Liberal Democrats seem to make some sense from what I've seen!

So if I am looking at voting for someone to support the farmers (which is my whole extended family) and for better gun laws in QLD, who should I be considering?



Consider the Queensland Shooters Fishers and Farmers Party, as well as fighting for shooters and fishers, we have been extremely active in our representation of the farming community, I am an ex farmer and QLD State Chairman, we have a strong representation of farmers in the party in Queensland, myself and one other committee member traveled to the recent tree clearing laws protest outside of parliament, and we were at Farmfest in Toowoomba for the third year running.

Jump onto our QLD SFFP Facebook page and you will see from our posts that we are proactive in highlighting farming issues, I can say with confidence our representation of the QLD farming community is genuine and committed, I see your considering the LDP, without knocking them or starting and us and them debate, the SFFP overall are far more committed to and in touch with farmers and the issues effecting them.

We are currently offering a $10 membership deal, which was taken up by farmers at Farmfest and other events we attend, the more members we can attract, the more we are able to achieve, you and members of your family and friends would be most welcome to join up if you so choose, if you require further information, do not hesitate to ask or alternatively you can contact me on cwheatley@sff.net.au


Ok mate awesome! I will look into that. We are actually farmers in the Toowoomba region, so dad was actually at Farmfest. I didnt go this year unfortunately.


:thumbsup: We had a stand at Farmfest as well.
There is only one thing worse than a green, two of the bludgers.
magnum56
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 217
Queensland

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by zhuk » 18 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

ZXRR wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
ZXRR wrote:Way too many lefties in this country, who think peoples rights ends where their feelings begin, The whole system needs a re-work, C/H should be on A&B, and the licenses should expire every 10 years.

It got me thinking, imagine if we did get to buy 10/22... it will probably costs us each $2000 seeing these ridiculous prices as of late (Especially surplus military rifles).


When I bought my 10/22 in 1983 it was $220. My Remington 788 .222Rem was 199. A sporterised M96 6.5x55mm was $160 and an original M38 6.5x55mm was $99. The 10/22 was never a "cheap" rifle. Nowadays the 10/22 is $700, as is a Remington 783. If anything, the 10/22 is now cheaper than it was 35 years ago. I paid $800 for my M38 though, milsurps are getting expensive these days.


Interesting prices, it's a shame i missed all of them as i wasn't even born! As for the price of the 10/22 now, it's surprising especially in australia. Though it makes sense since i even see M1 carbines for around 600-700+. Prices of milsurps are just getting embarrassing these days, especially as someone that loves shooting them and collects.

Typical simple NO4 MK1 going for around $1100-1300 these days (Which is ridiculous).


Have you seen the prices of No.5 Jungle Carbines lately...well up in the 1000+-mark even for some very rough examples.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 67
New South Wales

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Australian gun laws