Transporting cat A and B firearms on NSW public transport

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Transporting cat A and B firearms on NSW public transport

Post by Lewy » 04 Jun 2018, 4:17 am

Hi I'm looking to get a cat a and b target shooting firearms licence in NSW but don't own a car and am on learners drivers licence currently so I would have to travel to a gun range via bus/train. I have looked online trying to find out if travelling on public transportation with firearms is legal and have found no answers, I have just found information relating to storage of firearms in cars. I hope someone can give me some information regarding this. Thanks
Lewy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Transporting cat A and B firearms on NSW public transpor

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Jun 2018, 7:02 am

There are no laws preventing this in NSW firearms legislation, there are regulstions on NSW Transports preventing transportion of firearms on public transport i believe.

Best to consult the NSW FAR.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jun 2018, 7:05 am

Id be contacting nsw police and getting something in writing to carry with ya. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Col » 05 Jun 2018, 7:24 am

Ditto to Daddybang comment. Speak to NSW FAR by all means but contact the local police (as they will be the ones called) and get their ruling and something in writing if possible.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 8:03 am

I wouldn't do it unless you want a visit from the men in black!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 05 Jun 2018, 8:31 am

I really hate risking discouraging a new shooter, but this is a very tough sport without your own vehicle. Some things I would suggest:

- As everyone above says, check everything with the FAR and confirm with the local police. Ideally in writing.
- The overarching requirement of the act is that you need to take all reasonable precautions to avoid your firearms being lost or stolen. So you really want to think about when and how you carry them. Definitely not in anything that looks at all like a rifle case or bag. One, asking for trouble in terms of getting mugged. Second, you really don't want Concerned Member of the Public calling the cops on you because they realise you are carrying a rifle on a train or a bus
- Firearms are definitely banned as baggage on NSW countrylink services. Not sure on the rest although to be honest I'd be surprised if they weren't.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 05 Jun 2018, 9:39 am

Especially these days with the public encouraged to report anything suspicious. The general public is also afraid. With other recent events around the world causing them to be wary. If reported you dont know who it is going to be reported to and the response by its nature of report could not be overlooked and would be in force to deal with a terrorist.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Joffa » 05 Jun 2018, 1:04 pm

Like you might maybe if you’re lucky get away with a combination locked, airport approved inconspicuous case, no branding, no stickers, nothing to give it away.
I doubt the authorities would approve of transporting a firearm on public transport, I wouldn’t.
I’d probably be choosing something that could break down into a break down case to be less obvious.

Have you considered asking if you can store a firearm at the gun club? Keep the bolt on you and a trigger lock on the firearm so no one else can use it and the you won’t have to worry about the stress of transporting a firearm in a public place..
Other than that most clubs have; althoug generally average, have club firearms you can use.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 05 Jun 2018, 1:24 pm

You need to look up transport nsw . they have by laws about what passengers are allowed to carry in the rail corridors ( on trains) you will find firearms are BANNED IN TOTAL It has nothing to do with is the firearm registered to you so nothing to do with FAR ring up the RAIL POLICE. most bus drivers would leave the bus if you get on with a firearm and ring the police anyway its the way the world has been conditioned .
What range do you think you may be shooting at , find out if they have onsite Storage ( some do ) till you have a vehicle of your own.
Funny first post tho "I want a gun and I want to take it on a train/bus" so your on your" L" and I presume your not yet 18 may be older who knows ? may you would like to introduce yourself and provide some incite regarding this. Thanks

READS like a solicitor wrote its not a kid read it again kids have L not learner drivers licence and would travel on a bus or train Not via bet they don,t come back LOL
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 05 Jun 2018, 3:21 pm

Lewy wrote:Hi I'm looking to get a cat a and b target shooting firearms licence in NSW but don't own a car and am on learners drivers licence currently so I would have to travel to a gun range via bus/train. I have looked online trying to find out if travelling on public transportation with firearms is legal and have found no answers, I have just found information relating to storage of firearms in cars. I hope someone can give me some information regarding this. Thanks

Can you please ask the NSW Firearms Registry and post their response back here so we all know?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 4:52 pm

pomemax wrote: Funny first post tho "I want a gun and I want to take it on a train/bus" so your on your" L" and I presume your not yet 18 may be older who knows ? may you would like to introduce yourself and provide some incite regarding this. Thanks

READS like a solicitor wrote its not a kid read it again kids have L not learner drivers licence and would travel on a bus or train Not via bet they don,t come back LOL

If he's not yet eighteen, then he wouldn't be transporting a firearm anywhere.
I can't actually make sense of your last sentence, looks like a kid wrote it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 4:58 pm

Lewy wrote:Hi I'm looking to get a cat a and b target shooting firearms licence in NSW but don't own a car and am on learners drivers licence currently so I would have to travel to a gun range via bus/train. I have looked online trying to find out if travelling on public transportation with firearms is legal and have found no answers, I have just found information relating to storage of firearms in cars. I hope someone can give me some information regarding this. Thanks

I would talk to the club committee, any decent club should be all too helpful in getting new blood into the sport. They might have a member that lives close to you for example. Or somebody that can keep your firearms at their house and bring them to the range for you. I don't know if ranges have secure storage but that is another good option if available.

What area are you in?

Do you have friends or relatives that can drive you to and from the range perhaps?

As others have said, I would try to avoid transporting a firearm on public transport if at all possible, too easy to wind up on the news. Are taxis considered public transport in NSW?

Also find out if it's legal to transport ammunition on public transport.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 5:04 pm

bentaz wrote:Get a guitar case!

Bass guitar case.....

Looked at this option to make a "cheap" two rifle case. Not long enough for my rifle with 26" barrel but would be fine for shorter rifles.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jun 2018, 8:02 am

Guitar case, love it. What about getting a Browning take down and you could use a violin case.....
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rgo » 06 Jun 2018, 9:13 am

I remember carrying a 303 from Bulli to Wollongong on a bus no case nothing, and a .22 from Sydney to Wollongong on bus and train, noone batted an eye, even the police sergeant in the opposite seat. That was in about 1970 though. Mabee things have changed a bit.
Rgo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lewy » 06 Jun 2018, 1:30 pm

Hi everyone I've decided it's not worth having someone call the cops on me and getting my guns possibly seized or having my licence revoked. I'll just get a mate to drive me to the range until I get my licence and a car. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Lewy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 Jun 2018, 3:01 pm

Very wise choice.

Enjoy your visits to the Range plus anywhere else you choose to shoot and encourage your mate to participate.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 3:57 pm

Good move, mate.
Won't take long to get you drivers licence. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by NTSOG » 06 Jun 2018, 5:22 pm

Rgo: "I remember carrying a 303 from Bulli to Wollongong on a bus no case nothing ..."

I too remember carrying a .303 on a Number 8 tram along Toorak Road, Melbourne as a school cadet in the mid-1960s. However the adults who ran the show, i.e. society, had all been through WW II and either served or got used to seeing troops, Australian or US, carrying weapons around Melbourne. A bloke I know swears that he was detailed to take a Bren gun home on the bus prior to going on cadet camp at Pucka. I'm inclined to believe him - it was a different society back then when real adults were in charge and there were few 'bed-wetters'. We even had a .22 rifle range on the top of one building at school.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigM » 06 Jun 2018, 9:52 pm

NSW law says nothing about carrying firearms on public transport except always have your license with you.

I believe transport regulations forbid it.Worst case you get thrown off a train/bus.
Even if the Police are called as long as you are complying with the law nothing will happen.

As others have said, keep it under your control and it a case so it is not obvious what you are carrying and, like many other people on public transport, you will have no problems.

FAR will make no comment and refer you to NSW Transport.
In fact, good luck on getting any written statement on anything out of FAR.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Southpaw » 07 Jun 2018, 6:47 pm

bentaz wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Guitar case, love it. What about getting a Browning take down and you could use a violin case.....

And then substitute the browning for a tommy gun

And then wear a hat and trench coat Dick Tracy style, and say something classy like “play it again Sam” :D
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Rider888 » 06 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm

Lewy wrote:Hi everyone I've decided it's not worth having someone call the cops on me and getting my guns possibly seized or having my licence revoked. I'll just get a mate to drive me to the range until I get my licence and a car. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Carrying firearms on NSW trains is not an issue as long as it is transported IAW legislation guidelines and you are licensed to do so
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 06 Jan 2020, 10:59 pm

Carrying ANY firearm on any NSW public transport will land you in no end of Problems there is no State laws but check out RAIL BYLAWS no firearms in any NSW RAIL land in any way shape or form .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jan 2020, 6:09 am

pomemax wrote:Carrying ANY firearm on any NSW public transport will land you in no end of Problems there is no State laws but check out RAIL BYLAWS no firearms in any NSW RAIL land in any way shape or form .

I guess, being sensible is the key. I spoke to NSW rail and NSWPOL and they said that there is no issues with carrying my H Cat firearms with me this week as long as it is transported in accordance with guidelines - Locked Case
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Nigel » 29 Jan 2020, 11:23 am

pomemax wrote:Carrying ANY firearm on any NSW public transport will land you in no end of Problems there is no State laws but check out RAIL BYLAWS no firearms in any NSW RAIL land in any way shape or form .

Can you please be more specific about these rules you are referring to. If you could provide detailed references or web links to authoritative sources, that would be very helpful.

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as "rail bylaws" in NSW.

I have researched this issue and have not been able to find any legal restrictions on the carriage of firearms on any public transport services in Sydney.

The Passenger Transport (General) Regulation 2017 (NSW) regulates the conduct of passengers on public transport in NSW. It prohibits many things including smoking, drinking alcohol, carriage of petrol, lighting fires and riding on the roof of the vehicle. It does not prohibit the carriage of firearms (https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/473/part5).

According to the Transport NSW web site, firearms are prohibited as luggage on TrainLink intercity and regional train services (https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/using-public-transport/regional-booking-travel-information/luggage-on-nsw-trainlink). I am not sure if there is any legislative or regulatory basis for this policy.

As others have stated, if you travel on public transport with a visible firearm or baggage that appears to contain a firearm, you are highly likely to cause drama and have an interaction with the police. This is separate from the question of whether you have committed an offence by taking a firearm on public transport.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RedSky7 » 08 Mar 2020, 7:56 pm

For what it's worth i get the train to the pistol range which is a lot faster than if i were to drive, never had an issue nor felt i was doing anything wrong :s locked case, trigger lock , normal looking travel bag. Don't see the problem- thank you Nigel for pointing out there is in fact no problem.
Glock 17
Beretta 92fs
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 (savage)
Mauser K98k
Adler B220
RedSky7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Mar 2020, 8:47 pm

you may wish to check this site out
https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/u ... -trainlink
should read
What you cannot bring
For safety reasons, there are items that must not be included in checked or carry-on luggage.

Do not bring any of the following:

damaged or insufficiently secured and protected items
household items and appliances
plants and/or plant matter
unaccompanied luggage items
motor vehicles or motorbikes.

Additionally, the following are classified as dangerous goods and are banned:

compressed gases - flammable, non-inflammable and poisonous
corrosives - acids, alkalis, mercury and wet cell batteries
explosives - munitions, fireworks and flares
flammable liquids and solids - lighter fuel, matches, paints, thinners and fire-lighters
oxidising materials - bleaching powder and peroxides
poisons and infectious substances - insecticides, weed killers and live virus materials
firearms, spear guns, crossbows and knives
radioactive materials.
Excess baggage
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 14 Mar 2020, 12:42 am

pomemax wrote:you may wish to check this site out
should read
What you cannot bring
For safety reasons, there are items that must not be included in checked or carry-on luggage.

flammable liquids and solids - lighter fuel, matches, paints, thinners and fire-lighters
poisons and infectious substances - insecticides, weed killers and live virus materials
radioactive materials.
Excess baggage

FWIW NSW Trainlink and Sydney Trains are different entities, and aren't governed by the same rules/procedures/"bylaws?".
However, I'm pretty certain carrying Dangerous Goods on Sydney Trains 'er trains is technically a no no. So I'd check on that one before you jump on a train with ammo in your range bag (or a bottle of bleach you picked up alongside your groceries for that matter).
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2020, 9:48 am

pomemax wrote:you may wish to check this site out
should read
What you cannot bring

radioactive materials.
Excess baggage

So this is what happens when some numb scull administrator or manager makes decision about something they know SFA about.

Cans of fly spray and hair spray banned.
A box of matches or a cigarette lighter banned.
And weed killer aphid spray banned.
And if you have emphysema no oxygen.

NO exemptions and mention of quantities. IDIOTS
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws