Finally getting my NSW firearms license

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Finally getting my NSW firearms license

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 8:12 pm

Hi all,

Well after years of wanting my firearms license and not going through with it because of not knowing anyone to shoot with, My daughter has expressed an interest so we are starting off together. So far i have done the safety course, Completed my application and sent it off, 4 days later i sent off some PTAs and installed my safe. Now all i can do is wait. The online check license thing says license application date was 29/05 so apparently it will be 6 - 8 weeks after that. My PTAs i lodge say application date 04/06 but i doubt the cooling off period will run at same time as license application cooling off period so i'm expecting another 6 - 8 weeks wait after the license is valid. Fingers crossed for a miracle though. I am absolutely blown away by how unnecessarily slow the who paper trail process is (3 weeks to receive application i could have downloaded in 4.3 seconds) but you have all heard every second member whinge about that so i'll leave it alone.

We are buying a couple of .22s to start with, I'm looking at a second hand Marlin XT22 in a local gun store for myself and a brand new Mossberg 802 for my daughter. No doubt we will upgrade and/or go larger calibre once we learn trigger control etc etc

So far we are looking at target shooting at Silverdale range in NSW as it seems easiest to get to for us from where we live. We would like somewhere closer we could take a little air rifle to plink targets with but we don't have access to anywhere.

Cheers
Paul.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Finally getting my NSW firearms license

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

bentaz wrote:Welcome aboard mate, I got a 802 for the kids its a good little plinker for the price!

Cheers mate.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 06 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

I tried that with my pta’s and they sent them back to me with a letter saying pta’s can’t be submitted until license is Valid...
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 Jun 2018, 8:56 pm

There are some nice Anschutz 22 rifles on used guns ATM that I think would be good value at what they are asking.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 9:03 pm

Jon79 wrote:I tried that with my pta’s and they sent them back to me with a letter saying pta’s can’t be submitted until license is Valid...

Thats interesting. I sent in 5 of them and they are all there with the status "PTA Application being processed by firearms registry".
It also says "please allow 7-10 working days to receive and issued PTA in the post" but that wont happen lol.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 9:04 pm

sungazer wrote:There are some nice Anschutz 22 rifles on used guns ATM that I think would be good value at what they are asking.

Thanks mate, I'll check them out
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2018, 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard and great work getting the daughter involved, some quality daddy daughter time coming your way. I shoot mainly at St Mary's indoor range as it's reasonably close and open 10 till 10 M-S and 10-6 Sundays. They won't start the 28 day wait until the photo is taken at the registry and their current processing time for licenses is 4-5 weeks based on a friends recent application. How old is your daughter? Do you have much / any previous experience with firearms or shooting? There's also a range at Hill Top that I frequent that runs many different events and comps if that's closer to home. If St Mary's is an option then I'd be happy to meet up there when you get yourself sorted with licenses.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 9:27 pm

brett1868 wrote:Welcome aboard and great work getting the daughter involved, some quality daddy daughter time coming your way. I shoot mainly at St Mary's indoor range as it's reasonably close and open 10 till 10 M-S and 10-6 Sundays. They won't start the 28 day wait until the photo is taken at the registry and their current processing time for licenses is 4-5 weeks based on a friends recent application. How old is your daughter? Do you have much / any previous experience with firearms or shooting? There's also a range at Hill Top that I frequent that runs many different events and comps if that's closer to home. If St Mary's is an option then I'd be happy to meet up there when you get yourself sorted with licenses.

Cheers mate, My daughter is 12 and both of us have only used a air rifle a few times at the Schuetzenklub in Albion Park Rail. Thats it...... This is another reason we are starting with .22s.

Im from Wollongong so Hill Top might be a bit closer. I was planning on going to st marys indoor range until i found out about Silverdale. I might take you up on that offer to meet at St marys once my license and PTAs are finalised. Thanks.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 06 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

2freeq wrote:
Jon79 wrote:I tried that with my pta’s and they sent them back to me with a letter saying pta’s can’t be submitted until license is Valid...

Thats interesting. I sent in 5 of them and they are all there with the status "PTA Application being processed by firearms registry".
It also says "please allow 7-10 working days to receive and issued PTA in the post" but that wont happen lol.

Yeah I think it depends on who opens the mail or what mood they are in lol

When waited and sent all 4 pta’s back in the same envelope they had one down as arriving 12 days later.... wired things happen there that’s for sure
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2018, 10:17 pm

No worries, I volunteer Saturday mornings with the SSAA Junior Development program at St Marys educating the youngsters in the shooting sports. Unfortunately we're into week 4 now so too late for your daughter but they run the program a few times a year so it might be an option for her. My son turned 12 last October, got his A/B juniors permit 4 weeks later and has started competing with me. All good fun unless he beats me then I have to listen to him brag on the drive home, he will graduate to full member of the pistol club next week so he can compete against me there as well and have twice as much to brag about :) You mentioned buying a couple of 22's, not necessarily a good idea unless one of you is a lefty. The reason being that since she will be a junior (I'm assuming she has done the course and applied for the permit) she can only shoot under the direct supervision of a licensed adult and no point having 2 rifles if you can only shoot one at a time.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 06 Jun 2018, 10:33 pm

brett1868 wrote:No worries, I volunteer Saturday mornings with the SSAA Junior Development program at St Marys educating the youngsters in the shooting sports. Unfortunately we're into week 4 now so too late for your daughter but they run the program a few times a year so it might be an option for her. My son turned 12 last October, got his A/B juniors permit 4 weeks later and has started competing with me. All good fun unless he beats me then I have to listen to him brag on the drive home, he will graduate to full member of the pistol club next week so he can compete against me there as well and have twice as much to brag about :) You mentioned buying a couple of 22's, not necessarily a good idea unless one of you is a lefty. The reason being that since she will be a junior (I'm assuming she has done the course and applied for the permit) she can only shoot under the direct supervision of a licensed adult and no point having 2 rifles if you can only shoot one at a time.

I see where your coming from with not buying 2x .22s. makes sense. The PTAs i lodged were for 2 rimfire, 1 centrefire, 1 shotgun and 1 air rifle so i'm covered if i want to get something different straight off the bat. Might consider a .223 or similar instead of one of the .22s. I lodged the 5 PTAs so i would be covered for anything i choose to buy within the 3 month expiry of the PTA.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm

Instead of one of the .22s. I lodged the 5 PTAs so i would be covered for anything i choose to buy within the 3 month expiry of the PTA.

Having never met you I think we can be very good friends, I love the way you're thinking :) I'm doing a presentation 7pm tomorrow night for the Illawarra Hunting Club at the Cabbage Tree Hotel in Fairy Meadow. If you're in the neighborhood drop by and introduce yourself :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Jun 2018, 12:43 am

17 hmr / .22wm both rimfire may be another option for you along with .22lr 5 pta,s with your licence I like that look at buying the biggest safe you can I think you will need it Plenty of people on here shoot at St Mary,s manly on a Sat or Sunday if you wish to try different cal I have a few just let me know when you get yer licences sorted
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jun 2018, 9:19 am

pomemax wrote:17 hmr / .22wm both rimfire may be another option for you along with .22lr 5 pta,s with your licence I like that look at buying the biggest safe you can I think you will need it Plenty of people on here shoot at St Mary,s manly on a Sat or Sunday if you wish to try different cal I have a few just let me know when you get yer licences sorted

Welcome back mate, was looking for you last Saturday. If you're shooting this Saturday you better pack plugs and muffs cause Mr Noisy is coming out to make it snow indoors :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 07 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

pomemax wrote:17 hmr / .22wm both rimfire may be another option for you along with .22lr 5 pta,s with your licence I like that look at buying the biggest safe you can I think you will need it Plenty of people on here shoot at St Mary,s manly on a Sat or Sunday if you wish to try different cal I have a few just let me know when you get yer licences sorted

Thanks mate. I'm thinking i will go to St Marys and see how we like it. I have brought a 14 gun safe but have room for a second (or third) if need be.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Jun 2018, 12:34 pm

Always do freaks the ro, out when you take earmuffs off the new ones always come running over til they see the plugs . yer be there sat
2freeq
14 gun safe you will fill that in 2 years see the one on /www.usedguns.com.au in qld say it will hold 100 only 15k that,s a good site to learns A rough idea what a 2nd had fire arm will sell for I don,t believe the advertised price tho
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 07 Jun 2018, 3:33 pm

pomemax wrote:Always do freaks the ro, out when you take earmuffs off the new ones always come running over til they see the plugs . yer be there sat
2freeq
14 gun safe you will fill that in 2 years see the one on /www.usedguns.com.au in qld say it will hold 100 only 15k that,s a good site to learns A rough idea what a 2nd had fire arm will sell for I don,t believe the advertised price tho

I was looking at Usedguns.com.au last night and spotted a used Winchester 250 lever action that i really liked for a cheap plinker. wasnt sure on the license required though as its a .22 but holds 17 rounds. Is that still a A or B cat and legal in NSW?
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 07 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I'm doing a presentation 7pm tomorrow night for the Illawarra Hunting Club at the Cabbage Tree Hotel in Fairy Meadow. If you're in the neighborhood drop by and introduce yourself :)

Sorry i didn't get to Cabbage Tree Hotel tonight buddy, My 16 year old daughter brought a boyfriend :shock: home this afternoon so i had to do the responsible father thing and make him feel uncomfortable whilst he was here. :twisted:

Cheers.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 07 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm

bentaz wrote:
you'll need to use that shotgun PTA and sit there cleaning the shottie when the BF comes over. :drinks:

Turns out that won't work with this kid. He has a minors permit and he goes hunting with his family quite often. His family own 2 large properties about an away from where i live. So now i have mixed emotions and i'm torn between "cool you hunt, Heres my daughter, Can i come hunting too" and "Whatever you do to her i'll do to you".... In all seriousness though he seems alright... :thumbsup:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

2freeq wrote:Hi all,

Well after years of wanting my firearms license and not going through with it because of not knowing anyone to shoot with, My daughter has expressed an interest so we are starting off together. So far i have done the safety course, Completed my application and sent it off, 4 days later i sent off some PTAs and installed my safe. Now all i can do is wait. The online check license thing says license application date was 29/05 so apparently it will be 6 - 8 weeks after that. My PTAs i lodge say application date 04/06 but i doubt the cooling off period will run at same time as license application cooling off period so i'm expecting another 6 - 8 weeks wait after the license is valid. Fingers crossed for a miracle though. I am absolutely blown away by how unnecessarily slow the who paper trail process is (3 weeks to receive application i could have downloaded in 4.3 seconds) but you have all heard every second member whinge about that so i'll leave it alone.

We are buying a couple of .22s to start with, I'm looking at a second hand Marlin XT22 in a local gun store for myself and a brand new Mossberg 802 for my daughter. No doubt we will upgrade and/or go larger calibre once we learn trigger control etc etc

So far we are looking at target shooting at Silverdale range in NSW as it seems easiest to get to for us from where we live. We would like somewhere closer we could take a little air rifle to plink targets with but we don't have access to anywhere.

Cheers
Paul.

Good on you for getting involved and great to see you involving the young one's as well, :thumbsup: I am 62 this year and have been shooting since I was big enough to hold a rifle, around the age of 6 or 7, with supervision, by myself from the age of 10 on the farm, I was clay target shooting at 12, over the years I have seen many changes to the restrictions and laws, not many of them good ones, licensing and storage requirements are about the only ones that practically enhance public safety, the rest are next to useless.

The bureaucratic hurdles you have experienced are a form of deterrent, they seem to want to make it as hard as they can for licensed shooters, hoping many will not bother and or give up, it is really great to see new shooters like yourself getting involved, hang in there and enjoy the pastime, :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by 2freeq » 10 Jun 2018, 2:29 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:they seem to want to make it as hard as they can for licensed shooters, hoping many will not bother and or give up, it is really great to see new shooters like yourself getting involved, hang in there and enjoy the pastime, :thumbsup:

This is the impression i'm getting also. I can understand the need for a cooling off period for your first firearm but I really don't see the need for a cooling off period for the license also. Also with having to do everything by paper so your adding a week postage each way rather than everything should be online in this day and age. There is no reason we couldn't fill in a online application, 28 days later they send out a email to print off telling you go get your photo taken and pay the fee. thats it. Same process for your first PTA. every PTA after that should be instant. Like you said though, They want it to be as hard as legally possible in hope people put it in too hard basket and give up.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Jun 2018, 4:19 pm

Its bureaucracy... what do you expect. If it was all online then what will the whole department do to pass time...... go shoot
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 29 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

Update: Spoke to firearms registry today and my license application finished its 28 day cooling off period on Tuesday and all the final checks are done. Apparently Monday next week they will be sending out the paperwork to go to the RTA for the license photo which i should receive in 7-10 days. The i'll have a valid license about 2 weeks after that.

Bad news is even though i lodged my PTAs on the 4th June the 28 day cooling off period for them doesn't start until the day after i get my license photo done at RTA.

So it will be another 8 weeks until i can bring my rifle home i brought but on the plus side i'm 8 weeks closer than i was when i started the whole process. Half way!!!!!
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 04 Jul 2018, 9:59 am

My application status didn't change online on Monday to show the refer to RTA status they said it would so i called them today to see if the letter was sent or not. I was told it hasn't been sent yet and "should" be sent in next couple of weeks.

When i got the application forms sent to me i was told the whole process will take 6 weeks to 8 weeks max. Its been 9.5 weeks now with a few more to go. Then i get to wait the same time again for a PTA.

As frustrating as it is my hands are tied and all i can do is wait and buy more gear. I am running out of things to buy though without a license.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 04 Jul 2018, 3:15 pm

2freeq wrote:My application status didn't change online on Monday to show the refer to RTA status they said it would so i called them today to see if the letter was sent or not. I was told it hasn't been sent yet and "should" be sent in next couple of weeks.

When i got the application forms sent to me i was told the whole process will take 6 weeks to 8 weeks max. Its been 9.5 weeks now with a few more to go. Then i get to wait the same time again for a PTA.

As frustrating as it is my hands are tied and all I can do is wait and buy more gear. I am running out of things to buy though without a license.

took about 56 days for my license (fun times) when the photo advice finally did turn up I drove to the nearest RTA office that still printed licenses.... I wasn't waiting any longer :D
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 04 Jul 2018, 10:09 pm

Jon79 wrote:
2freeq wrote:My application status didn't change online on Monday to show the refer to RTA status they said it would so i called them today to see if the letter was sent or not. I was told it hasn't been sent yet and "should" be sent in next couple of weeks.

As frustrating as it is my hands are tied and all I can do is wait and buy more gear. I am running out of things to buy though without a license.

took about 56 days for my license (fun times) when the photo advice finally did turn up I drove to the nearest RTA office that still printed licenses.... I wasn't waiting any longer :D

I wonder if any still print them.... If so i can sense a road trip coming up lol
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 04 Jul 2018, 11:38 pm

2freeq wrote:
Jon79 wrote:

I wonder if any still print them.... If so i can sense a road trip coming up lol

there's still a few if you ring up they can let you know which ones :thumbsup:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 05 Jul 2018, 10:00 am

Jon79 wrote:there's still a few if you ring up they can let you know which ones :thumbsup:

Just rang RMS and was told all RMS offices in NSW have to post licenses out now. Bugger.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 10 Jul 2018, 9:56 pm

So my license application has progressed, :drinks:

Requested application on 29th April
Received application on 25th May
Posted application back on 25th May (express post)
Online check license status showed "Application Date" as 29th May. 28 day cooling off period starts from this day
Posted PTAs on 30th May (express post)
PTAs appeared on online status on 4th June saying "PTA Application being processed by Firearms Registry" but cooling off period wont start til license is valid
License status changed to "NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE" on 7th July

Apparently i'll receive the "Referred to Service NSW" letter in next 7 - 10 days. Fingers crossed. :clap:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 13 Jul 2018, 3:46 pm

Letter to go get my ID check at RMS arrived today in record time. Was only posted on Monday. Jumped in car and went straight down to RMS and got photo taken and was told it will be delivered within next 10 days.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws