Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

Re: Chances that we'll get our semi-auto .22's back?

Post by bullzeye » 20 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

magnum56 wrote:
Archie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bullzeye wrote:I’m in Sydney. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a farm who can vouch for my genuine reason.

After all the BS we have been though with gun regulations - if you can legally get a semi auto 22, why not take it up? It’s your right to do so.

In NSW you can't use the fact that you have access to public land as your genuine reason?
Here in Vic that's all we need, no club membership, or property letters required to own Cat A/B, just an interest in hunting on crown land.

For Cat C, doubtful. Cat A and B... in theory? Where it gets tricky is:

- In theory, you need an R licence to prove you have public access
- I have been told by an assessor (but not seen it in writing) that you can't get firearms rated R-licence unless you have a firearm licence
- So... if you need to prove public access to get your firearm licence you're in a bit of bind. Thats why so many people end up joining SSAA - it's easy.

Not saying it can't be done... but would be interested to know if anyone in NSW has used that as their justification of genuine reason.

Not sure if it is available in NSW, but Shooters Union membership provides a genuine reason in Queensland, and at $35, is a lot cheaper.

In NSW to get your R license you need to be a member of a hunting club.
bullzeye
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 20 Jun 2018, 7:18 pm

Archie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bullzeye wrote:I’m in Sydney. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a farm who can vouch for my genuine reason.

After all the BS we have been though with gun regulations - if you can legally get a semi auto 22, why not take it up? It’s your right to do so.

In NSW you can't use the fact that you have access to public land as your genuine reason?
Here in Vic that's all we need, no club membership, or property letters required to own Cat A/B, just an interest in hunting on crown land.

- I have been told by an assessor (but not seen it in writing) that you can't get firearms rated R-licence unless you have a firearm licence
- So... if you need to prove public access to get your firearm licence you're in a bit of bind. Thats why so many people end up joining SSAA - it's easy.

Not saying it can't be done... but would be interested to know if anyone in NSW has used that as their justification of genuine reason.

if you want cat c stuff get your collectors license.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 20 Jun 2018, 7:37 pm

cracker wrote:
Archie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

if you want cat c stuff get your collectors license.

Have you got your Cat C on a collectors license?

Reason I ask is because you can usually only do 1 shoot per year on a collectors license..
bullzeye
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:38 pm

cracker wrote:if you want cat c stuff get your collectors license.

And spend your time just looking at it occasionally instead of shooting it all the time?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

bullzeye wrote:Reason I ask is because you can usually only do 1 shoot per year on a collectors license..

Yep. My DFO tried the old "if you want so many rifles why don't you just get a collector's licence" on me. I had to explain to him that the reason I want so many rifles is because I enjoy actually shooting them!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 21 Jun 2018, 4:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Reason I ask is because you can usually only do 1 shoot per year on a collectors license..

Yep. My DFO tried the old "if you want so many rifles why don't you just get a collector's licence" on me. I had to explain to him that the reason I want so many rifles is because I enjoy actually shooting them!

Do your own research, its all written down.
Theres a few clubs that do a shoot every month
Pre 47 hand guns and cat c stuff, its alot of work but its good fun.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm

cracker wrote:Do your own research, its all written down.

Not much fun for me if I have to go to a club event to be able to shoot them...
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 Jun 2018, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 22 Jun 2018, 10:01 am

cracker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I’ve looked at collectors clubs over many years and haven’t found anyone doing a shoot once per month.

As you are in the know, maybe you could share the details of these clubs.

The requirements in NSW for collectors is a minimum 1 attendance per year. If there are clubs that run monthly meets I may well be interested in joining such a club. I’d say many in Vic, Qld etc may also be interested.
bullzeye
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 22 Jun 2018, 4:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

them be the rules my friend, your choice if you obey them or not.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 22 Jun 2018, 4:04 pm

bullzeye wrote:
cracker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I’ve looked at collectors clubs over many years and haven’t found anyone doing a shoot once per month.

The requirements in NSW for collectors is a minimum 1 attendance per year. If there are clubs that run monthly meets I may well be interested in joining such a club. I’d say many in Vic, Qld etc may also be interested.

youd have to ring around mate i know nothing about nsw sorry.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 22 Jun 2018, 7:36 pm

cracker wrote:
bullzeye wrote:
cracker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

youd have to ring around mate i know nothing about nsw sorry.

I’m genuinely interested to find out more about any collectors clubs in Australia that do monthly shoots, even clubs not in NSW. Which ones in your state do it?

SSAA doesn’t post much up to date info but I found a South Australian branch that only does 1 collectors shoot per year - http://www.ssaapara.org.au/Sections/201 ... rogram.pdf

I think many other SSAA branches around Australia would follow a similar events calendar.
bullzeye
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm

cracker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

them be the rules my friend, your choice if you obey them or not.

Yeah, a choice that results in losing all your firearms and licences.
The fact is, a Collector's Licence is for people to own firearms without actually being a shooter. If you want to shoot your firearms there's no reason to have a Collector's Licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 23 Jun 2018, 7:35 pm

Yeah, a choice that results in losing all your firearms and licences.
The fact is, a Collector's Licence is for people to own firearms without actually being a shooter. If you want to shoot your firearms there's no reason to have a Collector's Licence.[/quote]

...other then the fact that you can once a month at little river.
same with cat h, can only shoot at the club, i dont see the issue?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 7:52 pm

cracker wrote:...other then the fact that you can once a month at little river.

Cat H allows you to shoot your handguns anytime a range is available, if you own them on a Collector's licence it doesn't matter whether the ranges are open, you can't go and shoot them.

You're telling us that Little River allows you to take your firearms that you own on a Collector's Licence, and shoot them once a month?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 23 Jun 2018, 8:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cracker wrote:...other then the fact that you can once a month at little river.

Cat H allows you to shoot your handguns anytime a range is available, if you own them on a Collector's licence it doesn't matter whether the ranges are open, you can't go and shoot them.

You're telling us that Little River allows you to take your firearms that you own on a Collector's Licence, and shoot them once a month?

yes, club approved day. sunday every month basically.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 09 Jan 2019, 11:15 am

TBJ wrote:Imagine the Bunnies you could get with that thing, goodbye bunny colonies

I don't think you'd hit much - but they would have shell shock :lol:
Urastus
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

When I saw ( the chances of us getting semi auto 22 back ) I instantly thought of the Aerosmith song ......DREAM ON
Blr243
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ZXRR » 09 Jan 2019, 8:29 pm

Way too many lefties in this country, who think peoples rights ends where their feelings begin, The whole system needs a re-work, C/H should be on A&B, and the licenses should expire every 10 years.

It got me thinking, imagine if we did get to buy 10/22... it will probably costs us each $2000 seeing these ridiculous prices as of late (Especially surplus military rifles).
ZXRR
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Australian gun laws