Licensing - Hand guns of same calibre

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Licensing - Hand guns of same calibre

Post by pignmud » 14 Jun 2018, 9:43 pm

Hi All,

My first post - Hey just seeing how it would go in WA licensing second 9mm handgun for range shooting.

I've had 3 handguns in past of different calibres but now down to 1 9mm Beretta. I really wanted to get the gen 5 Glock 17A.

Anyone else here in WA had any hassles - especially in respect to handguns of same calibre.

Cheers, Jeff
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Licensing - Hand guns of same calibre

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jun 2018, 11:41 pm

No idea about the weird and stupid laws in W.A but don't buy a Glock, if you want an accurate pistol get a CZ. Don't get me wrong, Glock make a nice pistol I've got a few of them but for a little more $$ the CZ is so much better.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Joffa » 15 Jun 2018, 5:21 am

brett1868 wrote:No idea about the weird and stupid laws in W.A but don't buy a Glock, if you want an accurate pistol get a CZ. Don't get me wrong, Glock make a nice pistol I've got a few of them but for a little more $$ the CZ is so much better.

Yes completely agree, get a CZ.
I just put a deposit on a CZ Shadow 2 just yesterday after handling a few different handguns at the LGS. Possibly the nicest feeling firearm I have ever held.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by pignmud » 16 Jun 2018, 1:10 am

yeah the glock is more of a fun gun, I know not super accurate but I love the simplicity and being able to strip down to every last part and put back together so easily. Also its durability - has one for several years and when I sold didn't have a mark on it - apart from bit of barrel wear fro slide. I used to have the gen 2 17A - got to point of putting most if not all through bull at 10m with lighter trigger.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 16 Jun 2018, 6:28 am

brett1868 wrote:No idea about the weird and stupid laws in W.A but don't buy a Glock, if you want an accurate pistol get a CZ. Don't get me wrong, Glock make a nice pistol I've got a few of them but for a little more $$ the CZ is so much better.

Come on we all have mistakes in the safe! :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ponkychonk » 16 Jun 2018, 3:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

My understanding is that you can just put "back up 9mm" as your reason. I haven't licensed any additional calibres in handguns myself so not sure but thats based on what everyone at the range says
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by Grumpy » 16 Jun 2018, 10:23 pm

ponkychonk wrote:Hi Jeff,

My understanding is that you can just put "back up 9mm" as your reason. I haven't licensed any additional calibres in handguns myself so not sure but thats based on what everyone at the range says

This, plus you can grab another 2 9mm with red dot if you want.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 17 Jun 2018, 3:48 pm

From recent feedback from club members: apply for 9mm Production Minor, or 9mm Standard minor, or 9mm Minor optics, or whatever, as long as it is different.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws