Bush Plinking

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Bush Plinking

Post by 2freeq » 18 Jun 2018, 7:46 am

Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but are you allowed to plink targets with a .22 in a area where your allowed to hunt? Do i still need to get a R license and register online i'm in there just for this? FYI we have target and hunting on our license.

Basically i was looking for a more "informal" environment to target shoot with my daughter when her minors permit gets approved and would rather look like we don't know what we are doing with no-one else around.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bush Plinking

Post by straightshooter » 18 Jun 2018, 8:02 am

As far as I know the NSW firearms act does not provide for 'plinking' as a substantive reason to discharge a firearm, particularly if hunting is your valid reason for firearm ownership.
However testing or checking the accuracy of your rifle at an improvised target seems acceptable. Especially if confirming the accuracy of your rifle or improving your shooting skills or instructing a minor or beginner is done with the goal of humane hunting outcomes.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 18 Jun 2018, 8:27 am

This gets a bit complicated.

For example, depends on what you mean by "area you are allowed to hunt". If you mean a State Forest, then the answer is definitively no. That is proscribed by the state forest regulations. You can shoot at animals, you can't plink (or sight in, pattern etc).

On private land (assuming land owner is ok with it...) I havent been able to find anything that contradicts what straighshooter says, but emphasis is on "improvised target". If it's a permanent target then you run the risk of being seen as running an unauthorised shooting range, which is bad news.

Realistically, if it doesn't annoy the neighbours and you are doing it safely on a large rural property I doubt anyone will give a damn. If you do annoy the neighbours then unfortunately like so much of this, whether its a real problem will likely come down to the view of the local police. A suprising number are shooters as well. If you are concerned then I'd drop into the local cop shop and ask.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Jun 2018, 8:46 am

Archie, there was a change in the legislation that now allows for sighting in / patterning / ammunition testing on private lands. Check https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/442/part3/sec33 Part 3 Clause 33 :) There's still no plinking permitted in state forests and if you get caught in a forest with a firearm and no valid reason then expect to be in a word of grief. The DPI has a dedicated team of people to deal with state forest hunting along with rangers to combat the increase in poaching.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 18 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes i was referring to state forests as i dont know anyone with private land. So i guess its a solid NO. We will stick to target ranges, Its not worth the risk. Cheers.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 18 Jun 2018, 1:34 pm

Thanks for that Brett. I was sure there was something on it and completely blanked as to where...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2018, 3:03 pm

brett1868 wrote:Archie, there was a change in the legislation that now allows for sighting in / patterning / ammunition testing on private lands. Check https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/442/part3/sec33 Part 3 Clause 33 :) There's still no plinking permitted in state forests and if you get caught in a forest with a firearm and no valid reason then expect to be in a word of grief. The DPI has a dedicated team of people to deal with state forest hunting along with rangers to combat the increase in poaching.

Just in relation to your comment re "private lands," section 33(2) states, "This clause authorises the use of a firearm on any land on which use of the firearm is not otherwise unlawful and is not limited to use at an approved shooting range." the way I read this is, if a person had approval to shoot in a state forest, they would be permitted by this clause, to sight in or tune a firearm, the only proviso I could think of would be, if their approval actually specifically prohibited the activity.
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 18 Jun 2018, 3:12 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Archie, there was a change in the legislation that now allows for sighting in / patterning / ammunition testing on private lands. Check https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/442/part3/sec33 Part 3 Clause 33 :) There's still no plinking permitted in state forests and if you get caught in a forest with a firearm and no valid reason then expect to be in a word of grief. The DPI has a dedicated team of people to deal with state forest hunting along with rangers to combat the increase in poaching.

Just in relation to your comment re "private lands," section 33(2) states, "This clause authorises the use of a firearm on any land on which use of the firearm is not otherwise unlawful and is not limited to use at an approved shooting range." the way I read this is, if a person had approval to shoot in a state forest, they would be permitted by this clause, to sight in or tune a firearm, the only proviso I could think of would be, if their approval actually specifically prohibited the activity.

Correct and as you suspected the DPI rules prohibit any form of target shooting :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 18 Jun 2018, 3:18 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:...he way I read this is, if a person had approval to shoot in a state forest, they would be permitted by this clause, to sight in or tune a firearm, the only proviso I could think of would be, if their approval actually specifically prohibited the activity.

Which unfortunately it does. From the NSW Game Hunting Guide, section on State Forests, p100 : "You are not permitted to sight-in or target practice with firearms, clay targets or archery equipment in State forests."

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/asset ... -guide.pdf
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2018, 3:18 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:

Correct and as you suspected the DPI rules prohibit any form of target shooting :(

Bugger, but knowing the workings of some government departments, it does not surprise me though, thanks for clarifying that. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2018, 4:14 am

2freeq wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yes i was referring to state forests as i dont know anyone with private land. So i guess its a solid NO. We will stick to target ranges, Its not worth the risk. Cheers.

Good idea, mate.
Also, it is a good idea to be around people who do know what they are doing when you are learning, even if it can be embarrassing.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by cracker » 22 Jun 2018, 7:09 pm

bentaz wrote:Just all need to move to Victoria

was shooting metal gongs and trying out my new beretta side by side(clays) and the cops came past... in vic state forest they were fine, everything was above board and legal, all mess cleaned up, no spent casings littering the place.
took down some details and said have fun guys
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 12 Aug 2018, 9:54 am

So it seems like I can shoot stationary targets on private property, outside of a shooting range, if its for the purpose of "familiarisation, sighting and/or tuning" of a new pistol.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 12 Aug 2018, 9:59 am

Rider888 wrote:So it seems like I can shoot stationary targets on private property, outside of a shooting range, if its for the purpose of "familiarisation, sighting and/or tuning" of a new pistol.

you might wanna confirm that. im 99% sure you can only fire a handgun at an approved range. cannot even transport them to any place that is not a gun shop/gunsmith or range.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 12 Aug 2018, 10:04 am

scoobs wrote:
Rider888 wrote:So it seems like I can shoot stationary targets on private property, outside of a shooting range, if its for the purpose of "familiarisation, sighting and/or tuning" of a new pistol.

you might wanna confirm that. im 99% sure you can only fire a handgun at an approved range. cannot even transport them to any place that is not a gun shop/gunsmith or range.

Here is the official legislation "the licence does not authorise the use of a firearm except at a shooting range approved under Part 8 or under the authority conferred by clause 33 (Licences and permits extend to authorise sighting in, patterning and related activities)."

The or clause 33 talks about the ability to sight blah blah.... I cant find anything that makes this clause specific to A and B Cat firearms

Ive also never heard that you "cannot transport to any place that is not a gun shop or range" Is that in the legislation somewhere? Everything I have read states there is no issue taking you Cat H anywhere as long as its in a locked box
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2018, 12:17 pm

Not with handguns, approved handgun ranges only.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2018, 12:20 pm

Rider888 wrote:Ive also never heard that you "cannot transport to any place that is not a gun shop or range" Is that in the legislation somewhere? Everything I have read states there is no issue taking you Cat H anywhere as long as its in a locked box

You most certainly cannot drive around with a handgun if you are not going directly to or from a range, a shop or home. You must have legitimate reason to have it with you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 12 Aug 2018, 3:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Ive also never heard that you "cannot transport to any place that is not a gun shop or range" Is that in the legislation somewhere? Everything I have read states there is no issue taking you Cat H anywhere as long as its in a locked box

You most certainly cannot drive around with a handgun if you are not going directly to or from a range, a shop or home. You must have legitimate reason to have it with you.

Oh yes I understand that. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 12 Aug 2018, 4:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Not with handguns, approved handgun ranges only.

Can you please point me in the direction of the legislation because based on what has been stated, it doesn't restrict handguns to ranges only. Im just trying to get my head around this
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 12 Aug 2018, 5:57 pm

The legislation is worded in a way that isn't precise and can be interpreted however the authorities see fit. Best bet is interpret it on the cautious and most restrictive side. If it sounds like fun or common sense it's illegal.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Aug 2018, 6:15 pm

According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

When I looked into pistol shooting about 15yrs ago, one of the things that put me off was the inability to use it anywhere but at the range.
May have changed since, but that combined with some rather "special" people at the nearest club killed all further interest for me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 12 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

When I looked into pistol shooting about 15yrs ago, one of the things that put me off was the inability to use it anywhere but at the range.
May have changed since, but that combined with some rather "special" people at the nearest club killed all further interest for me.

its still the same
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

Including the special ppl.... joke
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

scoobs wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

its still the same

Was the same in 1990 when I started pistol shooting as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

you forgot to add only ssaa ranges :sarcasm:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Aug 2018, 11:10 am

Don't have a pistol licence but does it state on the licence "hunting"?, if not target shooting only at approved range and if caught "in the bush" with a pistol good bye firearms.

That's what all the fuss is about with farmers applying to carrying sidearms, licence must be endorsed as such.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Archie » 13 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

scoobs wrote:

its still the same

And that's why I never bothered with a Cat H...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm

Why don't they have a catagory Z
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Angel » 14 Aug 2018, 11:46 am

2freeq wrote:The legislation is worded in a way that isn't precise and can be interpreted however the authorities see fit. Best bet is interpret it on the cautious and most restrictive side. If it sounds like fun or common sense it's illegal.

Yep... Sounda about rigjt.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 04 Apr 2020, 5:44 am

I believe sighting in also applies to H-Cat firearms on private property i.e. it's allowed if it's for sighting or tuning of firearm or familirsation of ammo. Please direct me to the relevant regulation if this is not correct.
Thankyou
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws