Bush Plinking

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Bush Plinking

Post by Rider888 » 12 Aug 2018, 4:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:So it seems like I can shoot stationary targets on private property, outside of a shooting range, if its for the purpose of "familiarisation, sighting and/or tuning" of a new pistol.

Not with handguns, approved handgun ranges only.

Can you please point me in the direction of the legislation because based on what has been stated, it doesn't restrict handguns to ranges only. Im just trying to get my head around this
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 12 Aug 2018, 5:57 pm

The legislation is worded in a way that isn't precise and can be interpreted however the authorities see fit. Best bet is interpret it on the cautious and most restrictive side. If it sounds like fun or common sense it's illegal.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Aug 2018, 6:15 pm

According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

When I looked into pistol shooting about 15yrs ago, one of the things that put me off was the inability to use it anywhere but at the range.
May have changed since, but that combined with some rather "special" people at the nearest club killed all further interest for me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 12 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

When I looked into pistol shooting about 15yrs ago, one of the things that put me off was the inability to use it anywhere but at the range.
May have changed since, but that combined with some rather "special" people at the nearest club killed all further interest for me.

its still the same
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

Including the special ppl.... joke
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

scoobs wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:According to SSAA you can only use a pistol at an approved range.

its still the same

Was the same in 1990 when I started pistol shooting as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

you forgot to add only ssaa ranges :sarcasm:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Aug 2018, 11:10 am

Don't have a pistol licence but does it state on the licence "hunting"?, if not target shooting only at approved range and if caught "in the bush" with a pistol good bye firearms.

That's what all the fuss is about with farmers applying to carrying sidearms, licence must be endorsed as such.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Archie » 13 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

scoobs wrote:

its still the same

And that's why I never bothered with a Cat H...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm

Why don't they have a catagory Z
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Angel » 14 Aug 2018, 11:46 am

2freeq wrote:The legislation is worded in a way that isn't precise and can be interpreted however the authorities see fit. Best bet is interpret it on the cautious and most restrictive side. If it sounds like fun or common sense it's illegal.

Yep... Sounda about rigjt.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 04 Apr 2020, 5:44 am

I believe sighting in also applies to H-Cat firearms on private property i.e. it's allowed if it's for sighting or tuning of firearm or familirsation of ammo. Please direct me to the relevant regulation if this is not correct.
Thankyou
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2020, 7:39 am

Rider888 wrote:I believe sighting in also applies to H-Cat firearms on private property i.e. it's allowed if it's for sighting or tuning of firearm or familirsation of ammo. Please direct me to the relevant regulation if this is not correct.
Thankyou

Nope, approved pistol ranges only.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2020, 12:49 pm

I would suggest you call the Registry and ask them about using handguns on private property.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Apr 2020, 1:48 pm

Rider888 wrote:I believe sighting in also applies to H-Cat firearms on private property i.e. it's allowed if it's for sighting or tuning of firearm or familirsation of ammo. Please direct me to the relevant regulation if this is not correct.
Thankyou

As blade said. i have seen this come up many times and the rules are pretty clear, except with QLD where recently primary producers might be able to use handguns. Your license says for competition use only, and competition only happen on ranges
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 04 Apr 2020, 3:16 pm

This is what the regulations state:

Sport/target shooting
A licence that is issued for the genuine reason of sport/target shooting is subject to the following conditions (in addition to any other conditions to which the licence is subject)—
(a) the licensee must comply with any applicable requirements of Part 10 (Participation requirements for club members),
(b) the licence does not authorise the use of a firearm except at a shooting range approved under Part 8 or under the authority conferred by clause 33 (Licences and permits extend to authorise sighting in, patterning and related activities).

So clause B states "except in a shooting range OR under authority conferred by clause 33 and clause 33 refers to sighting in.

So yeah it doesn't specify Pistols but my H-Cat is for Sport/Target Shooting

Its not clear - maybe im reading it the way I want it to ready so am happy for opinions
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2020, 5:51 pm

The best opinion you'll get is when you call the Registry and ask them.

What do the regulations say about CatH firearms?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rick93123 » 01 Nov 2020, 8:05 pm

I think it depends and like many other of our laws it is an area which the laws are not clear on and what is known is just silly. Take what I say at face value since I am not a lawyer and have not looked up the law, I am purely going off what I think the law is from memory.
You are not permitted to "plink" with your firearms. This can be viewed as target shooting in a place that is not an approved shooting range. Also if you are doing it with your daughter it can be seen as an unsanctioned and illegal shooting "competition"..... What you ARE allowed to do is sight in your firearms. What are the differences? What are the loopholes? Pffft, who knows... The bottom line is that if you are on private property in the middle of nowhere then nobody is going to know or care what you are doing anyway.
Rick93123
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm

Rick93123 wrote:I think it depends and like many other of our laws it is an area which the laws are not clear on and what is known is just silly. Take what I say at face value since I am not a lawyer and have not looked up the law, I am purely going off what I think the law is from memory.
You are not permitted to "plink" with your firearms. This can be viewed as target shooting in a place that is not an approved shooting range. Also if you are doing it with your daughter it can be seen as an unsanctioned and illegal shooting "competition"..... What you ARE allowed to do is sight in your firearms. What are the differences? What are the loopholes? Pffft, who knows... The bottom line is that if you are on private property in the middle of nowhere then nobody is going to know or care what you are doing anyway.

The difference between shooting recreationally, and load development or zeroing is not complex. In NSW you can only "target shoot" at approved ranges. You are allowed to zero rifles, pattern shotguns, and I believe develop loads (I would have to check the last point). In Victoria we are also allowed to "practice" on private property.

The bottom line is, whether you get caught does not make something legal, and getting caught makes it harder on all other firearm owners.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Nov 2020, 3:08 am

In Tassie;
Handguns are not permitted outside of ranges.
Sighting in is allowed state forest and blade - I called out state regs office re load development and they reluctantly agreed after some discussion, that it would fall under “sighting” in. If I pushed them to put in writing - I think they would have kicked it up the chain...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 02 Nov 2020, 6:22 pm

Yes. This, stated before seems to come up regularly. In NSW, once you have finished your Cat H 6 months probation, and are eligible for your first PTA(s), and you finally acquire your handguns, you can take them from your address to the range, and when finished, go straight back to where the handguns are stored, do not go shopping or a stop off at the pub etc. You may also go from home to a licensed gunsmith/dealer or to a Police Station, but must return home after business has been attended to.
If you get caught, and it has happened, although rare, your guns including rifles will be confiscated and your licence suspended or cancelled.
In NSW, once the dust has settled from the Coronial Edwards Inquiry then licensing. firearm ownership, and in particular may well be a lot more difficult.
Play it safe, as bladeracer has stated, CHECK with NSW FAR, don't ask others as others don't make the rules.
Yes I know of a few Cat H shooters who have taken handguns onto properties that they were hunting on, definitely not for me. If you have an vehicle accident going or coming or they do a roadside check and find a handgun, your in strife. I have shot at country pistol clubs and carried the lead up paperwork and score sheet whilst travelling to and from the club(s) in question, but went straight home upon completion of the shoot (included a bbq lunch...but I was still within the FAR requirements.
By the way, if you belong to a pistol club, then most clubs allow for practice and load development.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 02 Nov 2020, 9:34 pm

Cat H use in QLD is clear and unambiguous that it it must take place at an approved range and all necessary register sinning and license card checks must take place each visit.

The use of A/B firearms on private land is not as well defined, 'recreational' shooting appears to include hunting and 'plinking' and target shooting is expressly defined as being allowed only on approved ranges.

However, what isn't clear is the point at which recreational 'plinking' becomes 'target shooting', by one definition anything that you aim a gun at is a 'target' so shooting it wouldn't be permitted but that clearly isn't how the legislation is interpreted. Perhaps having 'score' rings on the target is what makes the difference, or perhaps it's multiple people shooting and comparing their 'scores' that makes the activity illegal.

I've searched for clarification but still haven't found any clear definitions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws