Suppressors for Hearing Loss Prevention

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Suppressors for Hearing Loss Prevention

Post by Windston » 19 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

So I am a young shooter, who is lucky enough to still have good hearing. Now as we all know, guns are bloody loud, and often when hunting you dont have time to put hearing protection on before taking your shot.

Now my ears are still ringing from one particularly bad shot over the weekend from a 308, which has me really quite angry about the whole suppressor situation. I play musical instruments as well, so I do really enjoy the ability to hear things, like most people I assume! So with all the health and safety crap going around in all industries, why are suppressors still illegal?

I would like to do something about this, as I feel like it is needlessly deteriorating my hearing, and those around me. Who can I talk to in my local area to raise concerns about this?

I know this has probably been attempted in the past, but cmon, even countries with super duper strict gun laws like the UK encourage suppressors.

Cheers
Dan
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Suppressors for Hearing Loss Prevention

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Jun 2018, 1:21 pm

Local mp or a mirror .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2018, 1:34 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Local mp or a mirror .

:lol:
You'll most likely get the better response from and waste less time with the mirror.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Jun 2018, 2:39 pm

Good luck........ I tried to put a case to SA firearms branch to protect the last of my hearing as I have already experienced considerable hearing loss for a number of reasons. Unless your a professional shooter, there is no justification as far as they are concerned. A big pothole for comparing noise elimination/reduction and hearing protection in workplaces vs recreational shooting, is one is a job where your obliged to be in a noisy environment and your employer has an obligation to provide a safe workplace. In contrast, recreational shooters don't need to shoot (it's a personal choice) and hearing protection options are available........

Don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate for suppressors and would like to think they won't be unobtainable for ever, but in the meantime buy some good hearing protection and learn how to use it.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 19 Jun 2018, 4:34 pm

A good set of electronic hearing protection. You can hear sounds amplified under normal conditions, when you fire a shot they mute the sound and protect your hearing.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wombat » 19 Jun 2018, 6:00 pm

sungazer wrote:A good set of electronic hearing protection. You can hear sounds amplified under normal conditions, when you fire a shot they mute the sound and protect your hearing.

Do you have a specific recommendation? I imagine trade quality ones from Bunnings etc would not be fast enough. Or are they "always on" so anything over volume is automatically chopped.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 19 Jun 2018, 6:33 pm

The Howard Lights are a very popular set. I have a Peltor Tac 500 very good re sound wise, haven't used the Bluetooth so the model down would have been better. The head bad on mine is not great for bald heads a bit sharp. I also have a few sets of cheap ones for the family and spares that are pretty good as well. Just check the net and the LGS.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Jun 2018, 6:41 pm

sungazer wrote:The Howard Lights are a very popular set. I have a Peltor Tac 500 very good re sound wise, haven't used the Bluetooth so the model down would have been better. The head bad on mine is not great for bald heads a bit sharp. I also have a few sets of cheap ones for the family and spares that are pretty good as well. Just check the net and the LGS.

+1 For the Howards, great value for money and batteries last for ever.
Not good enough for an extended range session without additional ear plugs but I use mine hunting with the 300wm and they are plenty good enough for a couple shots a weekend.
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2018, 7:37 pm

Last edited by Oldbloke on 19 Jun 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Jun 2018, 8:24 pm

Much of this has been discussed in previous threads. Have a look here for a start. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8277&start=18
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 19 Jun 2018, 8:33 pm

sungazer wrote:A good set of electronic hearing protection. You can hear sounds amplified under normal conditions, when you fire a shot they mute the sound and protect your hearing.

need to be class 5 for shooting

but because the electronic hearing protection amplifies low noise would that be acceptable to fair chase connoisseur while hunting :unknown: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2018, 8:36 pm

Windston wrote:Hi everyone,

So I am a young shooter, who is lucky enough to still have good hearing. Now as we all know, guns are bloody loud, and often when hunting you dont have time to put hearing protection on before taking your shot.

Now my ears are still ringing from one particularly bad shot over the weekend from a 308, which has me really quite angry about the whole suppressor situation. I play musical instruments as well, so I do really enjoy the ability to hear things, like most people I assume! So with all the health and safety crap going around in all industries, why are suppressors still illegal?

I would like to do something about this, as I feel like it is needlessly deteriorating my hearing, and those around me. Who can I talk to in my local area to raise concerns about this?

I know this has probably been attempted in the past, but cmon, even countries with super duper strict gun laws like the UK encourage suppressors.

Cheers
Dan

I tend to think that if we press the point that our choice of recreation is damaging our hearing, we'll just give them more ammunition to ban more firearms. We already have ready access to a variety of hearing protection so I don't think we can blame anybody else if we choose not to use it. If we use the stance that it annoys other people then that's even more ammo for them to ban it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 19 Jun 2018, 8:52 pm

marksman wrote:

need to be class 5 for shooting

but because the electronic hearing protection amplifies low noise would that be acceptable to fair chase connoisseur while hunting :unknown: :lol: :lol:

Well, NSW regulations say you can’t use them while hunting deer... anything else it’s fine though. Don’t ask me who actually checks on this stuff of course...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

Wombat wrote:

Do you have a specific recommendation? I imagine trade quality ones from Bunnings etc would not be fast enough. Or are they "always on" so anything over volume is automatically chopped.

I have two sets of really cheap Chinese electronic muffs and they work just fine. Even ejected brass hitting the bench is blocked.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foldable-Shooting-Hunting-Electronic-Earmuffs-Noise-Canceling-Reduction-Ear-Muff-/152889483565
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 Jun 2018, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 19 Jun 2018, 9:10 pm

I believe that the Peltors are a class 5. I purchased them after the last thread on hearing protection and the advice that OB was giving re the class 5 at the time. They really are very good. I used to double up with foam plugs under with these I have only done that a few times. The headband is not comfortable though just a warning if anyone is looking at this as a review.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2018, 9:48 pm

If your a regular target/range/skeet/clay shooter don’t consider anything less than class 5.

Occasional shooter might get away with class 3 or 4. But I’d still recommend 5s
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Jun 2018, 8:00 am

I like to wear my molded ear plugs under my ear muffs. Gives me the same hearing level as the old shooters who turn up to the range..
Eh? What? Speak up, laddy!

In the paddocks for pest control it's just the plugs.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 20 Jun 2018, 8:32 am

Your not wrong there Gwion but to be fair at least in my club the 80s all went to war or service and they must have been exposed to some horrific sounds with no ear protection. they dont flinch
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 9:01 am

I just had a good thought, cyclists have to wear helmets and rec. Fishing ppl nesc to wear life vests, boating ppl nesc to take a beacon and wear life vests, motorsports ppl wear helmets and even hans devices. So why can't our rifles wear sound moderators
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

Be careful what you ask for and why. We dont need any more rules let Darwin sort it out. what you are proposing will end up with a rule that shooters must wear ear protection or else be fined.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jun 2018, 9:38 am

The bill by Victorian SFFP MP Jeff Borman to legalise suppressors, is before the Victorian parliament, debate on the bill has been adjourned and is due to be debated on the 27 of this month, it would be worthwhile for Victorian shooters to attend in support, politics is a numbers game, if something has enough support, it is likely to succeed, shooters need to get in and help themselves by standing up and be seen in numbers that suggest we are a force to be reckoned with.
Member-Deleted

Post by Windston » 21 Jun 2018, 8:33 pm

How has the talks been going so far magnum? Once it's in one state it will make it easier for the rest of us I would think.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 21 Jun 2018, 8:37 pm

They used to be legal in SA, but then again Full Auto was legal in TAS at the same time. I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jun 2018, 9:34 pm

Windston wrote:How has the talks been going so far magnum? Once it's in one state it will make it easier for the rest of us I would think.

It will all come down to numbers, if shooters got behind the SFFP in greater numbers, these type of issues would be easier to get a positive result on, and yes you are spot on, if they manage to get this through in Victoria, it will influence other states. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 23 Jun 2018, 7:15 am

I have a feeling that all these pleas for legalised suppressors will fall on deaf ears.

(Sorry for the ironic pun but I couldn't help myself)
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jun 2018, 9:25 am

straightshooter wrote:I have a feeling that all these pleas for legalised suppressors will fall on deaf ears.

(Sorry for the ironic pun but I couldn't help myself)

Yep, with anything to do with sensible firearm law amendments, we are fighting against great odds, you are better placed in NSW as you have two in the upper house and one in the lower, if you can get a couple more in the lower house after the next election, things will improve. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 23 Jun 2018, 11:28 am

Fair call, Sungazer. No war vets in our club, though. Just long time shooters.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jun 2018, 6:25 pm

Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws