Firearm Suppressors Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Firearm Suppressors Victoria

Post by Crazy » 22 Jun 2018, 7:47 pm

As you may know a bill has been set for debate in Victoria for the 27th of June the bill is in regaurds to firearm suppressors, and was introduced by SFFP memmber Jeffrey Bourman. From what i can tell he is looking to add more restrictions on suppressors by treating them as if their firearms, but in doing this would open up suppressors for recreational shooters and hunters. If you live in Victoria and are looking to purchase one i would be getting behind and supporting this bill. What are your thoughts of what has been proposed so far?
Last edited by Crazy on 22 Jun 2018, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Firearm Suppressors Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 22 Jun 2018, 8:33 pm

Unless he has some sort of balance of power vote to gain some leverage on the big two , it doesn't have a snowflakes chance of being passed. Having said that, at least we are getting these sort of issues talked about in Parliament.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 22 Jun 2018, 8:39 pm

The bill is for suppressors for professional and government agents. Not recreational.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 22 Jun 2018, 9:40 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:The bill is for suppressors for professional and government agents. Not recreational.

A quote from the transcript of the bills second reading. "My bill would actually tighten up the requirements for getting and keeping a suppressor, but it would open it up to recreational users." What you mentioned is the current situation of suppressors in Victoria.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jun 2018, 9:57 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:The bill is for suppressors for professional and government agents. Not recreational.

Not sure where you got your information from but it is INCORRECT, the bill is seeking that licensed RECREATIONAL shooters be permitted to possess suppressors.
Member-Deleted

Post by Sarco » 22 Jun 2018, 10:13 pm

I disagree,

The bill is seeking that licenced recreational shooters will be able to APPLY to possess, carry and use "silencers". This is a gross fail, using the word "silencers" rather than "suppressors". It just about guarantees the bill will fail, as all most politicians know about "silencers" is what they see in Hollywood movies.

This also smacks of a politician trying to be seen to actually be doing something for his likely voter base, coming up to an election, with out actually having any likelihood of achieving anything. Then saying at least I tried.

It still comes down to even if the bill is passed and makes it into law, how many applications will be approved by the Chief Commissioner (or their delegate)? My suggestion is sweet FA.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jun 2018, 10:47 pm

Sarco wrote:I disagree,

The bill is seeking that licenced recreational shooters will be able to APPLY to possess, carry and use "silencers". This is a gross fail, using the word "silencers" rather than "suppressors". It just about guarantees the bill will fail, as all most politicians know about "silencers" is what they see in Hollywood movies.

This also smacks of a politician trying to be seen to actually be doing something for his likely voter base, coming up to an election, with out actually having any likelihood of achieving anything. Then saying at least I tried.

It still comes down to even if the bill is passed and makes it into law, how many applications will be approved by the Chief Commissioner (or their delegate)? My suggestion is sweet FA.

Sarco

Here is the information from SFFP Victoria, "Yesterday Jeffrey Bourman MP introduced his Firearms Amendment (Silencers) Bill 2018. This Bill will change the rules to allow police to issue permits for sound moderators that are currently only available on OH&S grounds to professional hunters, veterinarians and government agency workers, It is only common sense that law abiding firearms owners be afforded the same protection from the harmful noise of firearm use".

The name of the Bill is "The firearms amendment (silencers ) Bill", however the information in the bill clearly relates to sound suppression, further there is significant explanation of how these suppressors work and their effect on sound suppression.

For mine I am glad he is having a go, better than sitting back and not attempting at all, at least through this attempt, some of the facts are getting aired, which would not of happened if they not put the Bill up.
Member-Deleted

Post by bullzeye » 23 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

Read the bill, it doesn’t say anything about restricting use for business/ employment only - http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domin ... M34bi1.pdf
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jun 2018, 9:14 am

I agree that it would be a good idea to read the amendment - it's only 22 pages in total. There's some weird shLt in there, and typographic errors for the pedants among you.
But, at least the polly is having a go.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jun 2018, 9:21 am

bullzeye wrote:Read the bill, it doesn’t say anything about restricting use for business/ employment only - http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domin ... M34bi1.pdf

Yep spot on, :thumbsup: Not sure how anyone could reach the opinion that this was not for recreational shooters, it clearly mentions it many times. :unknown:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm

It does still say that all he wants is to allow Police to issue permits to recreational shooters though, doesn't it? Nothing about actually making them available to us despite what the Police want?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Jun 2018, 10:54 am

bladeracer wrote:It does still say that all he wants is to allow Police to issue permits to recreational shooters though, doesn't it? Nothing about actually making them available to us despite what the Police want?

I know what you are saying, there is far to much intervention and interpretation by anti gun bureaucrats, but hopefully if this goes through, it would be treated the same as an application for a shooters license or firearms registration/purchase, they don't have to issue those either, but generally if there are no issues with the character of the person, they pretty much have to.

I hold great fears that intervention by bureaucrats will increase, which is why shooters need to become a lot more united and get behind the political process, if the many who are not getting involved, continue to sit back, this sort of bureaucratic meddling will get a lot worse.
Member-Deleted

Post by Bigjobss » 24 Jun 2018, 7:13 pm

Bigjobss

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Jun 2018, 8:05 pm

I signed
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 25 Jun 2018, 10:37 pm

It must be remembered that it is a "proposed" bill.
It is subject to any number of amendments demanded by any number of political parties in both the upper and lower houses before it is even considered for approval.
In fact to expect it to go through unamended is wishful thinking (that is if it gets through).

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 9:37 pm

Sarco wrote:It must be remembered that it is a "proposed" bill.
It is subject to any number of amendments demanded by any number of political parties in both the upper and lower houses before it is even considered for approval.
In fact to expect it to go through unamended is wishful thinking (that is if it gets through).

Sarco

Well regardless of the result at least they have tried, which is better than sitting back and doing nothing, if nothing else, some relevant facts have managed to be spread around, if shooters get behind the SFFP in greater numbers, they will be able to make more gains.
Member-Deleted

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jun 2018, 10:37 am

While in this instance the proposed change is for Victoria, it would be a huge lever for the shooters of other States and Territories, if it comes to pass.
As I read the current legislation, the issue of permits is available for all LAFO; the problem is that the Commissioner will only issue to Government and "professional" agents. That is the reason for the proposed change.
I would urge all Victorians to sign the petition https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/counc ... ails/12/85
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 11:01 am

No1_49er wrote:While in this instance the proposed change is for Victoria, it would be a huge lever for the shooters of other States and Territories, if it comes to pass.
As I read the current legislation, the issue of permits is available for all LAFO; the problem is that the Commissioner will only issue to Government and "professional" agents. That is the reason for the proposed change.
I would urge all Victorians to sign the petition https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/counc ... ails/12/85

Well said, you are on to it, :thumbsup: If sucessful in Vic, it will have positive flow on effects for other states and territories.
Member-Deleted

Post by MontyShooter » 29 Jun 2018, 12:49 pm

Won't it just bring vic law in line with NSW?
Doesn't seem to be working too well there...
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 29 Jun 2018, 1:10 pm

withdrawn and re-submitted
Last edited by madang55 on 30 Jun 2018, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jun 2018, 5:17 pm

We need them now , it's a joke .
Have any of these clowns heard a 22/250 at 3 am ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 7:14 pm

southwest shooter wrote:We need them now , it's a joke .
Have any of these clowns heard a 22/250 at 3 am ?

Agree 100%, :thumbsup: but whether we get them, depends on how hard shooters are prepared to fight for them, we have the numbers of shooters, but we just can't seem to get enough shooters unified and involved enough to effectively use these numbers.
Member-Deleted

Post by madang55 » 30 Jun 2018, 10:02 am

Sarco wrote:I disagree,

Sarco

The bill uses the word "Silencer" or "Silencers" about 130 times. I tried to count. It does not mention the word Suppressor at all. I have to agree that the majority of folk only know what they see in movies and on television.There will have to be a lot of education accompanying this bill for it to have any chance at all. This is a long term project and personalities, opinions and tempers will play a big part. i.e. keep cool heads, make statements that do not appear to be red-necked and don't get angry. Losing ones temper in a debate, and this is a debate, means you lose the debate.
And I just started reading the whole Act and it says...
SILENCER: means any instrument or thing by means
of which the sound caused by the discharge
of a firearm is rendered less audible, whether
the instrument or thing forms part of the
firearm or is or can be affixed or attached to
the firearm;
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 03 Jul 2018, 2:04 pm

Shooters are not well represented in politics. Thats just the facts.

Most shooters are more interested in Border Security or Job security rather than firearm rights.

There have been politicians that have started out gung ho for shooters rights, but then they feel that its a good long term career and that means they need to go soft on gun rights in order to get votes from mainstream voters.

Just my opinion.

I just see Suppressors as being a bridge too far now. We let Howard take it away and it will cause an uproar if we bring it back in.

Still I look on the bright side. Being in Vic, we get to hunt alot. I'd rather have this accessibility than a suppressor, although a supressor would be nice.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2018, 9:54 pm

winton wrote:Shooters are not well represented in politics. Thats just the facts.

Most shooters are more interested in Border Security or Job security rather than firearm rights.

There have been politicians that have started out gung ho for shooters rights, but then they feel that its a good long term career and that means they need to go soft on gun rights in order to get votes from mainstream voters.

Just my opinion.

I just see Suppressors as being a bridge too far now. We let Howard take it away and it will cause an uproar if we bring it back in.

Still I look on the bright side. Being in Vic, we get to hunt alot. I'd rather have this accessibility than a suppressor, although a supressor would be nice.

That is the scary part, those who continue to vote for the major parties based on these concerns are not learning, one does not have to be real sharp to realise the major parties are making real mess of these things, continuing to vote for the majors in the hope that these issues and the others they have stuffed up will improve, is like putting your hand in a fire, getting burnt and then doing it again hoping for a better result.
Member-Deleted

Post by dugachelli » 04 Sep 2018, 8:56 pm

Bill defeated 36 votes to 4......”deep sigh!” Well at least we are having a go.....only early days yet. I am looking to NSW, VIC and Tassy to keep plugging away at all this and by doing so, we might be able to claw back some or even most of what we have lost. Fingers crossed :))
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Sep 2018, 9:29 pm

Just a thought, but most of those who are granted one of the rare permits to own and use a suppressor are vets and rangers for whom it is considered as an OH&S issue.

If they are allowed to protect their hearing during the few shots they fire in the course of their employment, is it not a form of discrimination to prohibit hunters and sporting shooters from having the same protection?

After all we are the people who do the most to protect the country from invasive pest species, at our own expense, yet we are denied the protection supplied by a harmless, inert metal tube.

Perhaps we are approaching the issue from the wrong angle.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Windston » 05 Sep 2018, 6:21 pm

I for one am pissed at the government for this. Why should I not be allowed to protect my hearing!? Or lifestock/dogs in the area around the shot?! Or even the bloody neighbours getting pissed off at shots?

It's just rediculus that the powers that be just don't seem to care about us enough. It works in the UK, new Zealand etc, why not here?
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Sep 2018, 6:48 pm

Windston wrote:I for one am pissed at the government for this. Why should I not be allowed to protect my hearing!? Or lifestock/dogs in the area around the shot?! Or even the bloody neighbours getting pissed off at shots?

It's just rediculus that the powers that be just don't seem to care about us enough. It works in the UK, new Zealand etc, why not here?

Why not here?

The politicians and the lace panties know that suppressors have no relation to crime in any of the countries where common sense prevails and they are available over the counter, but having already banned them and made such a fuss about the "danger" they pose, to make them legally available would be an admission that they have been wrong all along.

How often have you heard these microcephalic plague rats ever admit they were wrong about anything?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2018, 7:07 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Just a thought, but most of those who are granted one of the rare permits to own and use a suppressor are vets and rangers for whom it is considered as an OH&S issue.

If they are allowed to protect their hearing during the few shots they fire in the course of their employment, is it not a form of discrimination to prohibit hunters and sporting shooters from having the same protection?

After all we are the people who do the most to protect the country from invasive pest species, at our own expense, yet we are denied the protection supplied by a harmless, inert metal tube.

Perhaps we are approaching the issue from the wrong angle.

Except that most of us shoot voluntarily, if we want to protect our hearing we can simply stop shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws