This can't be true,,,,,, CAN it ???

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

This can't be true,,,,,, CAN it ???

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jun 2018, 8:43 pm

I was told yesterday that my son-in-law had bought a new gun safe (rated for H category.)

Jokingly I said,, tell him not to sell the old A+B safe because sooner or later he would buy another longarm.

I was told that he already asked the F/A branch if he could keep the pistols in the new safe, and his longarms (2 CF rifles, 1 Air rifle, and 1 Shottie) in the old A+B safe.

Apparently they told him that as long as he has pistols registered in his name,, that the answer was NO.

They must have misunderstood him surely ?

The son-in-law lives in Sth Aus.

Anyone an expert on Crow laws ????????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: This can't be true,,,,,, CAN it ???

Post by No1_49er » 25 Jun 2018, 9:20 pm

I'm with you on that; doesn't make any sense at all, and surely can't be true.
If the answer is NO and the new H category safe is for the pistols, where he heck is he supposed to store the A/B stuff? And what's wrong with two safes anyway?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 9:22 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I was told yesterday that my son-in-law had bought a new gun safe (rated for H category.)

Jokingly I said,, tell him not to sell the old A+B safe because sooner or later he would buy another longarm.

I was told that he already asked the F/A branch if he could keep the pistols in the new safe, and his longarms (2 CF rifles, 1 Air rifle, and 1 Shottie) in the old A+B safe.

Apparently they told him that as long as he has pistols registered in his name,, that the answer was NO.

They must have misunderstood him surely ?

The son-in-law lives in Sth Aus.

Anyone an expert on Crow laws ????????

I guess the main question is, is the new Cat H safe big enough to hold longarms?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2018, 9:29 pm

Doesnt sound right to me, but Im not a cat H license holder so i dont know.

I can ask someone tomorrow if no one comes up with the answer.
;)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 26 Jun 2018, 7:53 am

My understanding is that SA has introduced some harsher storage rules.
Such as ... if you own 50+ rifles then you must have a strongroom and not a simple safe.
In Qld I believe now low level dealers are limited to holding no more than 20 rifles on their dealer's licence.
It would be interesting to see posts from SA and Qld people that are aware of their respective current regulations.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 2:02 pm

Yes you can apparently use the safe for other firearms such as rifles etc cat A & B.

If it is a safe that has 1.6mm or 2mm walls/door, you can still use it but you have just a few days left to put it in writing to SAPOL Firearms. :thumbsup:

PM me if you like DJ & ill put you on to the details -or you can find it on SAOPL firearms web site...but be quick--like i said only a few days left mate--june 30 cut-off.

& if chooses to not use the safe ill buy it & use it as long as i get it before june 30
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 26 Jun 2018, 2:15 pm

Stix wrote:Yes you can apparently use the safe for other firearms such as rifles etc cat A & B.

If it is a safe that has 1.6mm or 2mm walls/door, you can still use it but you have just a few days left to put it in writing to SAPOL Firearms. :thumbsup:

PM me if you like DJ & ill put you on to the details -or you can find it on SAOPL firearms web site...but be quick--like i said only a few days left mate--june 30 cut-off.

& if chooses to not use the safe ill buy it & use it as long as i get it before june 30

Changing the goal posts again. How can a safe be OK on 30th Jun but not OK on 1st July. Judicial review, maybe?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 2:19 pm

Weld another 2mm plate to all the surfaces ?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:13 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Stix wrote:Yes you can apparently use the safe for other firearms such as rifles etc cat A & B.

Changing the goal posts again. How can a safe be OK on 30th Jun but not OK on 1st July. Judicial review, maybe?

With all the safes that have been purchased in recent times (last year or two leading up to the new changes to regs for example), the powers to be have allowed the safes that are less than adequate for the new regs (1.6mm/2mm walls) to still be used--provided you fill in & sign a stat declrtn & firearms branch know about it.
I think the opportunity runs out june 30--so they gave us a full year to comply & get up to date with storage, & allow those who purchased cheap safes from the likes of Bunnings & who still use the old steel locker etc to still keep them. :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:17 pm

sungazer wrote:Weld another 2mm plate to all the surfaces ?

I guess that would work...probably more compliant if done from the inside id imagine.

Or just sign the Stat dec & BobsYarUncle...(or in my case...my father... :lol: )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jun 2018, 10:15 am

Thanks for all the input fellas,,,,
:thumbsup: :drinks: :friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws