Bring a rifle to NZ and leaving it there

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Bring a rifle to NZ and leaving it there

Post by Jimmy0383 » 27 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

Hello everyone,

Been doing some research on travelling overseas (NZ) with a rifle, my wife is from NZ so while I hv a spare rifle here I thought I will leave it there for hunting.

I have undertake one of the method below?
1. Bring it over from Canberra to NZ, leave it there and get a visitor permit each time when I m in NZ and use the rifle
2. If the above doesn’t work, I wil transfer (sell) ownership of gun to my brother in law (that’s has a NZ) licence.

Does anyone see any issues with above? Or is there a correct way to do it or where should I get more information?

Thanks in advance
Jimmy0383
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Bring a rifle to NZ and leaving it there

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jun 2018, 10:22 am

Unless there is a requirement in law to bring the rifle back to Australia, and that there is no requirement by the NZ that you must re-export the rifle, I think you could simply leave it with your brother in law. The beauty of the NZ system is that you don't actually have to "transfer ownership" by any documented process. The requirement is that you must "sight" his valid licence, as he must yours. Make a note of the details for future reference, just in case. But, official documentation for "transfer" - none required.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jun 2018, 10:43 am

Jimmy0383 wrote:Hello everyone,

Been doing some research on travelling overseas (NZ) with a rifle, my wife is from NZ so while I hv a spare rifle here I thought I will leave it there for hunting.

1. Bring it over from Canberra to NZ, leave it there and get a visitor permit each time when I m in NZ and use the rifle
2. If the above doesn’t work, I wil transfer (sell) ownership of gun to my brother in law (that’s has a NZ) licence.

Does anyone see any issues with above? Or is there a correct way to do it or where should I get more information?

Thanks in advance

I'd look into transferring ownership to ya brother in law... I reckon ya might run into strife just leaving it there especially if the cops rock up to do an inspection and expect to see a certain number of firearms and don't. I'm not sure if "I left it in a foreign country" is gonna go down real well! :shock: :P :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 29 Jun 2018, 10:55 am

Daddybang wrote:
Jimmy0383 wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance

I'd look into transferring ownership to ya brother in law... I reckon ya might run into strife just leaving it there especially if the cops rock up to do an inspection and expect to see a certain number of firearms and don't. I'm not sure if "I left it in a foreign country" is gonna go down real well! :shock: :P :drinks:

This might end up being really easy, but the thing I'd be worried about myself is, technically, are you "exporting" a firearm?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 29 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

Contact Australian Border Security and Firearms Registry. Explain to them what you are proposing to do and seek their advice.
It's your neck that could be in the noose.
Just remember that internet advice sometimes isn't worth the paper it's written on.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 29 Jun 2018, 2:07 pm

straightshooter wrote:Contact Australian Border Security and Firearms Registry. Explain to them what you are proposing to do and seek their advice.
It's your neck that could be in the noose.
Just remember that internet advice sometimes isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I agree.... :thumbsup:

It's your neck that is going to get strung up if you do the wrong thing. In this matter, don't go on any advice other than from official sources and get that in writing.

I can't see myself how having a firearm registered in Australia and left in New Zealand could be possibly legal. If it goes with you it should come back with you.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jun 2018, 2:59 pm

I'm under the impression that for the rifle to stay in N.Z. you must hold a N.Z. licence but check with A.C.T. Licencing.

And if on your A.C.T. licence, must be in possession....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 30 Jun 2018, 12:18 pm

Other option and perhaps easier one is just buy a new gun over there using your temp license or get your brother to buy it. No issues leaving it there long as brother has a safe. It essentially becomes his.

Recently did this with a nice suppressed ruger 10/22 semi auto. Was great fun.

My concern with taking one is you be missing a registered firearm when next police check is done.
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jimmy0383 » 30 Jun 2018, 5:19 pm

Guns in Nz r more expensive then Aus....
But yea next best thing is probably buy 1 and leave it there.

I wil give boarder security a call. If i ‘sell’ to the gun shop just then I have a piece of paper to explain why the firearm is not in my home anymore.

Once I checked it out I wil post the result here
Jimmy0383
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws