QLD WLB demanding a surrender of Wedgetail pistols.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD WLB demanding a surrender of Wedgetail pistols.

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

This is part of the report taken from Ozzie Reviews.

Wedgetail Industries here in Australia have made their own AR15 rifles and pistols a couple of years back. The benefit of them being made here is you don’t have the import laws banning them on appearance.
So a handful of shooters in Queensland put in for a PTA, along with their club approval letter to purchase the Wedgetail Industries pistol in either 223 or 300 blackout. Weapons Licensing issued the PTAs and owners paid roughly $5000 each to purchase their pistol.
But now a couple of years later thanks to registration of firearms, Weapons Licensing have decided to enforce the definition of category d firearms in regards to appearance of the firearm, to send this letter to owners demanding immediate surrender of the pistol without compensation!!!
Member-Deleted

Re: QLD WLB demanding a surrender of Wedgetail pistols.

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 10:59 am

For anyone on here that may be effected by this decision, Firearm Owners United are setting up a fighting fund and intend to fight this in the courts, the QLD SFFP is aware of this and will do what we can within our current resource limitations.

I would advise if people want to spend money fighting this, they would be wise to choose a lobby group that has considerable history in fighting for Shooters rights, Firearm Owners United IS such a group, also being registered as a not for profit organisation, you can be sure your money is going where, and for what, you intended it to go.

There are other come lately lobby groups, but you need to ask yourself, do they have a history of fighting for your rights, or have they suddenly sprung up, and, are they truly not for profit, it would be wise to stick with FOU, who HAVE a proven track record and NOT some random group that have suddenly jumped on to the band wagon.

If shooters want do something to prevent future similar restrictions, and to try and claw back the one's already lost, join the QLD SFFP, if you are already a member, then encourage others to join, so we can take this fight to where it matters, into parliament.
Member-Deleted

Post by Kssavage » 03 Jul 2018, 6:24 am

Hello to you all from North America!

First and foremost, I would like to apologize on behalf of the rational section of our population for our President. I hope he hasn't said anything that adverse about any of you, but he still has 2 1/2 years if he doesn't get impeached so I will apologize in advance if he does.

I have a childhood friend whose father was a pilot for Quantas and when he retired they lived here in South Central Kansas before moving to wine country in California. I stumbled across your forum completely by accident when trying to troubleshoot a problem I had at the range on Saturday and I notice that you're having to fight a back and forth battle. Here, at the Federal level we are protected (2nd Amendment to our Constitution, Supreme Court decisions from 2008-2010) but due to people getting angry and stupid there's a huge movement to push enforcement on us, although it is unlikely to hold as the Supreme Court has consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. Oregon just got a ballot initiative struck down by the Oregon Supreme Court because they were trying to ban AR-15 pattern rifles and other cosmetic bits that have no function on how the gun works. The court struck it down because it is a voter initiative that was put on the ballot by petition and its language as read would have been a complete ban on firearms with the exception of a few single shot bolt action rifles and break action guns.

Here in the Midwest, we are pretty well protected with a strong state Constitution and a law making it illegal for someone to enforce a law or deprive people of their legally owned guns in violation of the Constitution and because the domestic arms industry is critical to our police and military, etc. Our government no longer makes guns or ammo, it sold all the facilities to private companies.

But, that's not a guarantee. A retired Supreme Coury Justice John Paul Stevens vocally advocates the repeal of the 2nd Amendment, and the billionaire former mayor of New York (which, along with Hawaii, required surrender of certain banned guns) is funding the "kids movement" to ban scary looking guns even though they got the law they claimed they were after within 2 weeks of a shooting in Florida and before they trotted out Martin Luther king Jr's granddaughter (Martin Luther King, Jr. was always faced with death threats, had guns, and applied for but was turned down for a concealed carry permit because he was black and a civil rights activist) to say she had a dream of America with no guns.

I say this, because as you all full know it's easier to fight against a loss than to get it back once it's gone. Suppressors here require a heavy tax, about a 10 month wait, the creation of an estate trust with, say, your kids so they can inherit it when you die and not have to surrender it to the government or go to prison, or the permission of your chief law enforcement officer in your area, and the cost of the suppressor and the fee to transfer it plus shipping costs and the paperwork to transfer it and the certificate that allows you to not go to prison for using it.

I know America's a poor example of laissez-faire gun laws up until 1968 and more in 1986 given the gun crime rate, but as a marksman, long distance shooter, and sporting clays enthusiast as well as carrying a handgun and working hard to push for more enforcement of the 100 thousand (literally) laws nationwide and not taking guns away from the only people that would turn them in: people who obey the law.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I wish you all well in your endeavours and it's disgusting (and part of the reason America declared independence from Britain) that you would pay that kind of money for something only to have it made illegal and taken away with no compensation. I fear they will try to enact similar laws here depending on the outcome of our elections.

Best wishes,

Kevin
Kssavage
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by No1_49er » 16 Sep 2018, 5:34 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:This is part of the report taken from Ozzie Reviews.

Wedgetail Industries here in Australia have made their own AR15 rifles and pistols a couple of years back. The benefit of them being made here is you don’t have the import laws banning them on appearance.
So a handful of shooters in Queensland put in for a PTA, along with their club approval letter to purchase the Wedgetail Industries pistol in either 223 or 300 blackout. Weapons Licensing issued the PTAs and owners paid roughly $5000 each to purchase their pistol.
But now a couple of years later thanks to registration of firearms, Weapons Licensing have decided to enforce the definition of category d firearms in regards to appearance of the firearm, to send this letter to owners demanding immediate surrender of the pistol without compensation!!!

There was a rather robust discussion in this forum, a while back, that related to "appearance laws" and the wants of some Ruger Charger users to "trick up" the looks of their Cat H firearms and were subsequently denied access to some ranges.
This has such close parallels with the Wedgetail Industries produced WT15-01 that it should be on everybody's radar wrt to how WLB is behaving in this matter. If they do it once, they'll do it again. And again: for as long as they can get away with it or not be challenged.
I've just had a look at the current pool of funds raised in the "gofundme" campaign, and it is somewhat lacking.
Unless you don't mind the idea of WLB riding roughshod over what we have already been allowed, and demanding surrender WITHOUT compensation, I would urge you all to chip in to the on-going battle fund.
No, I do not own or even contemplate owing one, but we are all in this boat together.
Did YOU donate yet?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Sep 2018, 5:40 pm

surrender without compensation is EXTREMELY unjust . just plain wrong .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Sep 2018, 6:08 pm

does anyone have a copy of an actual letter of demand from WLB they can post? redact any identifiers to remain anonymous... i'd like to see the stated basis upon which they claim to have the power to do this.
Member-Deleted

Post by No1_49er » 16 Sep 2018, 7:03 pm

Haven't seen the "official" police communication. I can only provide a link to the campaign that explains the chain of events.

https://www.gofundme.com/WT15-01FightingFund
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 16 Sep 2018, 7:05 pm

While it sucks, and is completely unjust and out of order in regards to not receiving compensation, i have to say the writing was very clearly on the wall with the wedgetails, just because you make an AR a few inches shorter it doesn't really make it a pistol, it was always going to be a matter of time which is why i never put in a pta for one.
Don't get me wrong they're cool and i'd like one but when i was considering getting one i knew full well what they really were as opposed to what they were being able to be slipped through as.
I'm pretty sure everyone else who bought one was pretty clear on what they were buying and were aware of the tightrope they were walking by doing so.
In reality weapons licensing are just fixing a blunder they made, but they should be offering compensation.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Sep 2018, 7:14 pm

Kssavage wrote:Hello to you all from North America!

First and foremost, I would like to apologize on behalf of the rational section of our population for our President. I hope he hasn't said anything that adverse about any of you, but he still has 2 1/2 years if he doesn't get impeached so I will apologize in advance if he does.

I have a childhood friend whose father was a pilot for Quantas and when he retired they lived here in South Central Kansas before moving to wine country in California. I stumbled across your forum completely by accident when trying to troubleshoot a problem I had at the range on Saturday and I notice that you're having to fight a back and forth battle. Here, at the Federal level we are protected (2nd Amendment to our Constitution, Supreme Court decisions from 2008-2010) but due to people getting angry and stupid there's a huge movement to push enforcement on us, although it is unlikely to hold as the Supreme Court has consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. Oregon just got a ballot initiative struck down by the Oregon Supreme Court because they were trying to ban AR-15 pattern rifles and other cosmetic bits that have no function on how the gun works. The court struck it down because it is a voter initiative that was put on the ballot by petition and its language as read would have been a complete ban on firearms with the exception of a few single shot bolt action rifles and break action guns.

Here in the Midwest, we are pretty well protected with a strong state Constitution and a law making it illegal for someone to enforce a law or deprive people of their legally owned guns in violation of the Constitution and because the domestic arms industry is critical to our police and military, etc. Our government no longer makes guns or ammo, it sold all the facilities to private companies.

But, that's not a guarantee. A retired Supreme Coury Justice John Paul Stevens vocally advocates the repeal of the 2nd Amendment, and the billionaire former mayor of New York (which, along with Hawaii, required surrender of certain banned guns) is funding the "kids movement" to ban scary looking guns even though they got the law they claimed they were after within 2 weeks of a shooting in Florida and before they trotted out Martin Luther king Jr's granddaughter (Martin Luther King, Jr. was always faced with death threats, had guns, and applied for but was turned down for a concealed carry permit because he was black and a civil rights activist) to say she had a dream of America with no guns.

I say this, because as you all full know it's easier to fight against a loss than to get it back once it's gone. Suppressors here require a heavy tax, about a 10 month wait, the creation of an estate trust with, say, your kids so they can inherit it when you die and not have to surrender it to the government or go to prison, or the permission of your chief law enforcement officer in your area, and the cost of the suppressor and the fee to transfer it plus shipping costs and the paperwork to transfer it and the certificate that allows you to not go to prison for using it.

I know America's a poor example of laissez-faire gun laws up until 1968 and more in 1986 given the gun crime rate, but as a marksman, long distance shooter, and sporting clays enthusiast as well as carrying a handgun and working hard to push for more enforcement of the 100 thousand (literally) laws nationwide and not taking guns away from the only people that would turn them in: people who obey the law.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I wish you all well in your endeavours and it's disgusting (and part of the reason America declared independence from Britain) that you would pay that kind of money for something only to have it made illegal and taken away with no compensation. I fear they will try to enact similar laws here depending on the outcome of our elections.

Best wishes,

Kevin

G'day Kevin,
:welcome:
You are dead right about preventing the loss being easier than restoration.
The reason I believe we'll never be allowed sensible access to supressors such as is safely enjoyed just 1200 miles away in New Zealand is that to allow us access would be to admit that previous support for their prohibition was wrong.
Political creatures are genetically unequipped to admit such a thing.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Sep 2018, 7:26 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Kssavage wrote:The reason I believe we'll never be allowed sensible access to supressors such as is safely enjoyed just 1200 miles away in New Zealand is that to allow us access would be to admit that previous support for their prohibition was wrong.
Political creatures are genetically unequipped to admit such a thing.
:drinks:

This.

and also," because if you can't hear the shot you can't run away"
doesn't everyone run faster than 1125fps?
Member-Deleted

Post by No1_49er » 16 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Perhaps there is somebody who uses this forum and who is not from Queensland, but who owns a WT15? Can they enlighten us as to whether this is just a Qld WLB thing, or is it being pursued by other State registry's as well? I can't imagine that it was only Queenslanders who bought them, or were they already prohibited in other States/Territories?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:and also," because if you can't hear the shot you can't run away"
doesn't everyone run faster than 1125fps?

They mean if you can't hear somebody else being shot...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws