Is this still LAW and if so, in what states ?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Is this still LAW and if so, in what states ?

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm

As a teenager (many years ago) it was illegal to shoot or hunt on Sundays.

I just recalled this recently and was discussing it with a friend.
Don't recall hearing about this being changed or ceased, but it's not mentioned these days.

Does anyone recall the same, or know whether it is still actually law ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Is this still LAW and if so, in what states ?

Post by Wombat » 30 Jun 2018, 11:29 pm

It's what my Father told me when I was first shooting ( Victoria late 1970s) , but I've never seen it on paper.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2018, 3:20 am

In Vic at least it's no longer. Shoot all day Sunday if you want.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Jul 2018, 4:12 am

Dad never let us shoot on a Sunday when we were kids however I can't find it written anywhere now.
https://ssaa.org.au/hunting/state-terri ... egulations
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2018, 8:06 am

Die Judicii wrote:As a teenager (many years ago) it was illegal to shoot or hunt on Sundays.

I just recalled this recently and was discussing it with a friend.
Don't recall hearing about this being changed or ceased, but it's not mentioned these days.

Does anyone recall the same, or know whether it is still actually law ?

It was removed long ago, I think 1958?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jul 2018, 10:59 am

I can remember being told as a kid not to shoot on Sundays as it was illegal. I got my first gun at 13 in 1972(a Winchester Model 04, that I is still my favourite). I haven't heard of it since the 70s here in NSW.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 Jul 2018, 11:42 am

bought my first gun in the 60s the laws used to be No shooting on ANY Sunday /Public holiday and no shooting 1 mile from any road it was written on the back of you Licence/permit used to get that in the local police station over the counter I think my first was $2.00 from Ashfield police station you did not need a licence till you were 16 .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 01 Jul 2018, 11:54 am

JimTom wrote:Dad never let us shoot on a Sunday when we were kids however I can't find it written anywhere now.

It is not shown as a prohibition in any of those State/Territory Reg's shown in the SSAA listing. Doesn't mean that they are not buried in some other piece of obscure legislation.
But, if they are, they need to be repealed, RIGHT NOW, given that this is supposed to be a secular country!
And to further clarify, section 116 of the Constitution reads thus: -

116 Commonwealth not to legislate in respect of religion
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion,
or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free
exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a
qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

Which is reinforced by section 109 : -

109 Inconsistency of laws
When a law of a State is inconsistent with a law of the Commonwealth,
the latter shall prevail, and the former shall, to the extent of the
inconsistency, be invalid.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2018, 12:43 pm

No1_49er wrote:
JimTom wrote:Dad never let us shoot on a Sunday when we were kids however I can't find it written anywhere now.

It is not shown as a prohibition in any of those State/Territory Reg's shown in the SSAA listing. Doesn't mean that they are not buried in some other piece of obscure legislation.
But, if they are, they need to be repealed, RIGHT NOW, given that this is supposed to be a secular country!
And to further clarify, section 116 of the Constitution reads thus: -

116 Commonwealth not to legislate in respect of religion
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion,
or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free
exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a
qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

It probably had nothing to do with religion, was more to do with preventing shooting sports from affecting other people on Sundays.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 01 Jul 2018, 12:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:It probably had nothing to do with religion, was more to do with preventing shooting sports from affecting other people on Sundays.

Why Sunday, as distinct from any other day of the week? Just curious on your thought process.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It probably had nothing to do with religion, was more to do with preventing shooting sports from affecting other people on Sundays.

Why Sunday, as distinct from any other day of the week? Just curious on your thought process.

Because very few people worked on Sunday?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 01 Jul 2018, 1:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

OK, that probably makes sense.
And just to be certain they didn't work, they were also prevented from "enjoying" themselves by, perhaps, a bit of hunting to put some food on the table, or something as frivolous as simply enjoying themselves. Makes perfect sense, from a religious (christian) perspective. :sarcasm:
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 01 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

I remember when nothing apart from the odd Milk Bar was open on Sunday, and they were very limited on what they could sell.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 01 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm

Sunday you went to church and people with guns disturbed the peace same for public holiday its not fedral law was state so nothing to do with feds it was repealed when ssaa range at silverdale opned round that time
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 01 Jul 2018, 2:05 pm

In the US blue laws are related to the Sabbath, God rested on the 7th day: no work, short travel no hunting and no heavy drinkng (can't buy hard liquor).... . Fishing and sex are totally fine........
Last edited by Bent Arrow on 02 Jul 2018, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 01 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Never thought of that mate but now you mention it, definitely conceivable.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Jul 2018, 4:05 pm

As a kid I knew that the catholic church advocated "no work on a Sunday"

I remember that my old man had just bought the property I grew up on.
It was all scrub, and my father was in the process of clearing it, when we got a visit from the priest one Sunday.

He went crook at the old man for working on the sabbath.

My old man explained that he was employed 6 days a week, and Sunday was the only day he could get things done on the property.

The old priest was non too impressed. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jul 2018, 8:39 pm

Once upon a time it was not permitted to mow lawns on Sunday and pubs were restricted to serving only travellers.

Think about that! :( So, we all hopped in the car, drove 40 miles to the beach, signed in to the local pub as a traveller got pissed and drove home and on gravel roads.

The local corner shop near us had a liquor licence but could only sell bottle beer and I think it was only 2 long necks per customer on a Sunday.
:P
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 03 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

RoginaJack wrote:Once upon a time it was not permitted to mow lawns on Sunday and pubs were restricted to serving only travellers.

Think about that! :( So, we all hopped in the car, drove 40 miles to the beach, signed in to the local pub as a traveller got pissed and drove home and on gravel roads.

The local corner shop near us had a liquor licence but could only sell bottle beer and I think it was only 2 long necks per customer on a Sunday.
:P

Yes and all shops shut at 1 PM Saturday very few corner shops were even open petrol stations shut .
Funny thing tho you could load a truck with farm produce and pull up at the side of the road and sell it most sold it by say 1 water Mellon or a bag of apples or the such like because if you had scales and they were wrong you could be booked and you had to move could not stay in one spot all the time ( that,s why Harry,s Cafe d,e wheels came about) if you stayed still you need a licence.
Pubs you had to Drive From Burwood say ST Marry / to get a drink, Ladies only in the lounge/Beer garden not the bar and they had to check you licence against a map like clubs do now for the 5k clubs you could NOT enter unless you were a member .
Plus No street lighting meant open speed limit unless signposted
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Jul 2018, 3:19 pm

:x Gee, I miss those days! :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 5:11 pm

pomemax wrote:Yes and all shops shut at 1 PM Saturday very few corner shops were even open petrol stations shut .
Funny thing tho you could load a truck with farm produce and pull up at the side of the road and sell it most sold it by say 1 water Mellon or a bag of apples or the such like because if you had scales and they were wrong you could be booked and you had to move could not stay in one spot all the time ( that,s why Harry,s Cafe d,e wheels came about) if you stayed still you need a licence.
Pubs you had to Drive From Burwood say ST Marry / to get a drink, Ladies only in the lounge/Beer garden not the bar and they had to check you licence against a map like clubs do now for the 5k clubs you could NOT enter unless you were a member .
Plus No street lighting meant open speed limit unless signposted

When I was a kid we had trucks come around the 'burbs selling fruit & veg every week, just like Mr Whippy, and our milk was delivered every evening. And every month or so mum would drive us out to some farm for a huge pile of fresh meat. When I was working in the Kimberley on communities they had a truck come through every week selling all sorts of stuff.

Didn't know about the street lighting, but the very first time I was pulled over, the officer mentioned street lighting as delineating "built-up" areas, but as I had just come off of the freeway, which had lighting, he decided that wasn't right after all :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Jul 2018, 6:42 pm

When I was a kid living in Doncaster on High St it was a dirt road the intersection with Manningham Rd just had a Danger sign hanging diagonally across it. The milk was delivered by a horse and cart. Things change fast.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Queensland gun laws