Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by ZXRR » 05 Jul 2018, 2:22 pm

G'day guys, hoping you guys can help me since i cant get complete evidence / non contradicting evidence regarding it. Some people say you can, while others say you can but only for a very short time until you get sighted and then be on your way, and then you have the few that say you cant and you need to sight at a shooting range before going onto a state Forrest.

I have Dandenong Ranges National Park in mind for the target shooting to take place.

I'm going to email the licensing very shortly, and a local police station that hosts the firearm safety course, but i thought you guys might be even better.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by NTSOG » 05 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm

Hi ZXRR,

Sorry, I didn't read your post until after I posted. Have a look at what I wrote about recent changes to the Victorian Act.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 05 Jul 2018, 5:51 pm

"I have Dandenong Ranges National Park in mind" National Parks are 100% absolutely certain no go areas. A National Park is not a state forest.

Unless you have a game license and are Hunting Deer- and its in season and the particular park allows Deer Hunting.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2018, 9:21 pm

ZXRR wrote:G'day guys, hoping you guys can help me since i cant get complete evidence / non contradicting evidence regarding it. Some people say you can, while others say you can but only for a very short time until you get sighted and then be on your way, and then you have the few that say you cant and you need to sight at a shooting range before going onto a state Forrest.

I have Dandenong Ranges National Park in mind for the target shooting to take place.

I'm going to email the licensing very shortly, and a local police station that hosts the firearm safety course, but i thought you guys might be even better.

Your title refers to state forest but your post suggest national park, which is it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 5:23 am

The OP has surely got to be trolling or stupid.

If that stupid and ignorant, they shouldn't be allowed a butter knife, let alone a firearm.

NO. YOU CANNIT TARGET SHOOT IN NATIONAL PARK. GO TO A RIFLE RANGE.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 8:05 am

He wants to save the 20dollar range fee and the drive.

Maybe get a few acres... maybe 100+ ideally anges make your own target place
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Jul 2018, 9:05 am

ZXRR wrote:I have Dandenong Ranges National Park in mind for the target shooting to take place.

National Parks are off limits for shooting. There are some parks that are permitted for deer hunting only providing you are in the right season and have a deer hunting permit and double checked you are permitted to enter to hunt.
Other than that stay well away from national parks with firearms as even just being IN a NP with a firearm locked away in your car is an offence.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tracks » 06 Jul 2018, 9:31 am

Can't believe this question is being asked, I quote from the act "target shooting on an approved shooting range only" you cannot target shoot anywhere else, so how did you go with contacting the firearms branch and the local police, bet you haven't and if you did the police would be looking at how you got a firearms licence and failed to understand the law.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2018, 10:26 am

tracks wrote:Can't believe this question is being asked, I quote from the act "target shooting on an approved shooting range only" you cannot target shoot anywhere else, so how did you go with contacting the firearms branch and the local police, bet you haven't and if you did the police would be looking at how you got a firearms licence and failed to understand the law.

You can target shoot on private property as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Jul 2018, 10:42 am

you would be surprised how many people don't know delwp law, shooting in national parks ect :unknown:
and how many people have read the act :o
and why would they, its not taught anywhere, we all started somewhere :unknown:
this forum IMO is a good place to ask
have a good look here :thumbsup:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular ... es/hunting
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by tracks » 06 Jul 2018, 11:56 am

markman I'm not surprised at all, it's up to all licenced firearm owners to know the law, forums are not the place to ask questions where the answers are usually wrong, quite simple to go on the net and search the firearms act, its all there in black and white. If one cannot understand the wording in the act the next step is to contact your local firearms police officer or the firearms branch for correct information. Simple!
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2018, 12:51 pm

tracks wrote:markman I'm not surprised at all, it's up to all licenced firearm owners to know the law, forums are not the place to ask questions where the answers are usually wrong, quite simple to go on the net and search the firearms act, its all there in black and white. If one cannot understand the wording in the act the next step is to contact your local firearms police officer or the firearms branch for correct information. Simple!

It's true that it's our responsibility to know the laws, but as non-lawyers, we simply don't know where to even look for the laws. I talk to shooters that don't even realise that we have both the Firearms Act and the Regulations to begin with, let alone all the various exemptions, and specifics. Forums may not be the best place to get legal advise, but I would bet that most shooters have learned more about the laws via discussion with others than they have simply by trying to find and interpret the laws.

We have laws that most reasonable people would never even consider might exist.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Jul 2018, 1:38 pm

Ziad wrote:He wants to save the 20dollar range fee and the drive.

Agreed , start door knocking you have nothing to loose .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Jul 2018, 2:00 pm

tracks wrote:markman I'm not surprised at all, it's up to all licenced firearm owners to know the law, forums are not the place to ask questions where the answers are usually wrong, quite simple to go on the net and search the firearms act, its all there in black and white. If one cannot understand the wording in the act the next step is to contact your local firearms police officer or the firearms branch for correct information. Simple!

the firearms act isn't that easy to find :thumbsdown:
last I saw it was only obtainable in full from the department of justice but who would be expected to know that :unknown:
not that simple tracks give the guy a break and help him out :thumbsup:
firearms owners are not handed the information for a reason but you can give a link to an answer very easily to help someone out
it costs you as much as it does to berate someone online who has asked a genuine question because he did not know ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2018, 2:05 pm

marksman wrote:the firearms act isn't that easy to find :thumbsdown:
last I saw it was only obtainable in full from the department of justice but who would be expected to know that :unknown:
firearms owners are not handed the information for a reason but you can give a link to an answer very easily to help someone out
it costs you as much as it does to berate someone online who has asked a genuine question because he did not know ;)

Victoria Firearms Act, 1996
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/dde300b846eed9c7ca257616000a3571/09c184d87048bd4aca2579ff00167754/$FILE/96-66aa064%20authorised.pdf

Victoria Firearms Regulations, 2008
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt7.nsf/b1612aeaf0625227ca257619000d0882/51898447f261697fca257a7e000bfece/$FILE/08-22sra002%20authorised.pdf
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jul 2018, 4:07 pm

marksman wrote:

the firearms act isn't that easy to find :thumbsdown:

Well said marksman :thumbsup: :drinks:
Instead of thinking everyone should already know everything try helping a fellow shooter out!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

marksman wrote:you would be surprised how many people don't know delwp law, shooting in national parks ect :unknown:
and how many people have read the act :o
and why would they, its not taught anywhere, we all started somewhere :unknown:
this forum IMO is a good place to ask
have a good look here :thumbsup:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular ... es/hunting

Fair call. Maybe I was a bit harsh but.....

Your licensing instruction should have covered, at least basically, where you can and can't shoot. National Parks are generally a NO FIREARMS zone, with very few (and specific) exceptions.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tracks » 07 Jul 2018, 1:52 pm

daddybang look back at a couple of the replies, wrong advice and highly illegal what has been posted! I will state the only place you can target shoot is on an firearms approved shooting range, full stop, no where else or if you do it is breaking the law, so if you think a forum is the place to ask question regarding the act or regulations or the law you are wrong.
I am retired now from my profession, 40 odd years in a well know law firm, pretty sure I know what is right or wrong, this is the last time I post on this subject.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jul 2018, 2:03 pm

tracks wrote:daddybang look back at a couple of the replies, wrong advice and highly illegal what has been posted! I will state the only place you can target shoot is on an firearms approved shooting range, full stop, no where else or if you do it is breaking the law, so if you think a forum is the place to ask question regarding the act or regulations or the law you are wrong.
I am retired now from my profession, 40 odd years in a well know law firm, pretty sure I know what is right or wrong, this is the last time I post on this subject.

Please post the regulation that _only_ allows target shooting on an approved range, other than handguns.

And explain to us why the Regulations include Reg 22 about target shooting on private property...
Attachments
Reg22.JPG
Reg22.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 9676 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

tracks wrote:daddybang look back at a couple of the replies, wrong advice and highly illegal what has been posted! I will state the only place you can target shoot is on an firearms approved shooting range, full stop, no where else or if you do it is breaking the law, so if you think a forum is the place to ask question regarding the act or regulations or the law you are wrong.

If ya are a retired lawyer as I said help a fellow shooter out instead of assuming we all should know everything about the act and regs ya actually might do some good. :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm

Hey tracks...i think its easy to jump on someone for not knowing things...
Im a carpenter & know my bibles pretty well, & its amazing how many dont know their stuff...& id have thought you as a lawyer would realise how many people DONT know what they 'apperantly'should.

In general, its a good thing for people to ask questions--the world is too harsh & unforgiving on people who have no intention in doing the wrong thing...the .
And i dont believe its reasonable to expect everyone to check relevant legislation of anything/everything they indulge in.

I only a year or so ago asked firearms branch 2 questions which they--the very body enforcing the laws-- answered wrong...!!

Going by your logic everyone should know everything...& as my little saying goes, the man who knows everything has simply stopped learning...

If this OP is a troll, we are still all better served to try help on the questions they ask, rather than persecute them.
To do this is the last thing this country needs--firearms owners further isolating ourselves.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juzzbott » 01 Aug 2018, 10:36 pm

I have found no information whatsoever in any act or regulations that determine what "type" of shooting is allowed on crown land.

Unoccupied crown land is available for any kind of shooting, so long as it doesnt breach any laws such as shooting across a road or in a populous place.

Just be sure where you are shooting is actually unoccupied crown land. A state forest is allowed. A national park is 100% not allowed, unless as stated above for deer in the season with correct calibre etc.
juzzbott
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 06 Jan 2019, 12:08 pm

It's been a while since i have seen this thread and i must say thank you for helping! i was away for work and never browsed the forum as it only leads me to wanting to buy more guns. As far as people like myself who supposedly shouldn't have firearms, who doesn't know the full extent of the law because it's never properly published and always hidden from the general public like others have mentioned. I'd say those, that got antsy and upset, and couldn't answer a basic question or help a shooter in need are the ones that need to have the guns taken away. Or better yet, given anger management and taught not to jump straight to assumptions.

Most people, even licensing and police a lot of the time cant give you proper wording or a straight answer. When it comes to firearms none of the police stations around here had any idea civilians can even have guns until i went to Williams town where they told me everything i needed and booked my safety test.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JWD40 » 06 Jan 2019, 5:03 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
Ziad wrote:He wants to save the 20dollar range fee and the drive.

Agreed , start door knocking you have nothing to loose .

I don't know that i'd suggest door knocking, letter box dropping is probably more polite and possibly safer.
There are also online registers for interest to hunt, which could probably lead to someone allowing you to "sight in your rifles"
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2019, 6:28 pm

I have always door knocked.
Well dressed, polite, respectful, targeted at farms that look like they will have pest issues.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 06 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
tracks wrote:Can't believe this question is being asked, I quote from the act "target shooting on an approved shooting range only" you cannot target shoot anywhere else, so how did you go with contacting the firearms branch and the local police, bet you haven't and if you did the police would be looking at how you got a firearms licence and failed to understand the law.

You can target shoot on private property as well.

Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sarco » 06 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:the firearms act isn't that easy to find :thumbsdown:

Victoria Firearms Act, 1996
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/dde300b846eed9c7ca257616000a3571/09c184d87048bd4aca2579ff00167754/$FILE/96-66aa064%20authorised.pdf

Victoria Firearms Regulations, 2008
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt7.nsf/b1612aeaf0625227ca257619000d0882/51898447f261697fca257a7e000bfece/$FILE/08-22sra002%20authorised.pdf

These links are at least 6 years out of date. Current Act is dated 3 Sep 18, and Regs 20 Aug 18.

Also some Government Gazettes are applicable (eg. for approved general category handgun matches matches)

Use:

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/

Then search for Acts/Regs and get current legislation.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 9:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...

I'm not saying you can do it anywhere outside of Victoria (check the title of this thread), I know you can't in NSW. We can specifically "practice" here in Vic, and "target shoot" as allowed under Regulation 22. If you have a CatC firearm you can only use it on the properties it's licenced to, so all practicing and load development is required to happen on those properties - you can't take it to a range.
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 Jan 2019, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 06 Jan 2019, 9:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have always door knocked.
Well dressed, polite, respectful, targeted at farms that look like they will have pest issues.

Rather good concept, have not thought of it myself but i might actually do this. I'll work on a nice letter tonight and print them off, I'll pop them in the mail boxes with my email on it if they are accepting of me shooting there. I live next to quite a few farms, 30 minutes away and it's nothing but massive land (Although some of it is next to roads, there are many backstops I've seen).

southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.

Usually takes me at least 100 rounds to sight mine in, my rifles must be faulty :D
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws