Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jul 2018, 2:03 pm

tracks wrote:daddybang look back at a couple of the replies, wrong advice and highly illegal what has been posted! I will state the only place you can target shoot is on an firearms approved shooting range, full stop, no where else or if you do it is breaking the law, so if you think a forum is the place to ask question regarding the act or regulations or the law you are wrong.
I am retired now from my profession, 40 odd years in a well know law firm, pretty sure I know what is right or wrong, this is the last time I post on this subject.


Please post the regulation that _only_ allows target shooting on an approved range, other than handguns.

And explain to us why the Regulations include Reg 22 about target shooting on private property...
Attachments
Reg22.JPG
Reg22.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5449
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

tracks wrote:daddybang look back at a couple of the replies, wrong advice and highly illegal what has been posted! I will state the only place you can target shoot is on an firearms approved shooting range, full stop, no where else or if you do it is breaking the law, so if you think a forum is the place to ask question regarding the act or regulations or the law you are wrong.
I am retired now from my profession, 40 odd years in a well know law firm, pretty sure I know what is right or wrong, this is the last time I post on this subject.


If ya are a retired lawyer as I said help a fellow shooter out instead of assuming we all should know everything about the act and regs ya actually might do some good. :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2781
Queensland

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by Stix » 07 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm

Hey tracks...i think its easy to jump on someone for not knowing things...
Im a carpenter & know my bibles pretty well, & its amazing how many dont know their stuff...& id have thought you as a lawyer would realise how many people DONT know what they 'apperantly'should.

In general, its a good thing for people to ask questions--the world is too harsh & unforgiving on people who have no intention in doing the wrong thing...the .
And i dont believe its reasonable to expect everyone to check relevant legislation of anything/everything they indulge in.

I only a year or so ago asked firearms branch 2 questions which they--the very body enforcing the laws-- answered wrong...!!

Going by your logic everyone should know everything...& as my little saying goes, the man who knows everything has simply stopped learning...

If this OP is a troll, we are still all better served to try help on the questions they ask, rather than persecute them.
To do this is the last thing this country needs--firearms owners further isolating ourselves.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2402
South Australia

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by juzzbott » 01 Aug 2018, 10:36 pm

I have found no information whatsoever in any act or regulations that determine what "type" of shooting is allowed on crown land.

Unoccupied crown land is available for any kind of shooting, so long as it doesnt breach any laws such as shooting across a road or in a populous place.

Just be sure where you are shooting is actually unoccupied crown land. A state forest is allowed. A national park is 100% not allowed, unless as stated above for deer in the season with correct calibre etc.
juzzbott
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 13
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by ZXRR » 06 Jan 2019, 12:08 pm

It's been a while since i have seen this thread and i must say thank you for helping! i was away for work and never browsed the forum as it only leads me to wanting to buy more guns. As far as people like myself who supposedly shouldn't have firearms, who doesn't know the full extent of the law because it's never properly published and always hidden from the general public like others have mentioned. I'd say those, that got antsy and upset, and couldn't answer a basic question or help a shooter in need are the ones that need to have the guns taken away. Or better yet, given anger management and taught not to jump straight to assumptions.

Most people, even licensing and police a lot of the time cant give you proper wording or a straight answer. When it comes to firearms none of the police stations around here had any idea civilians can even have guns until i went to Williams town where they told me everything i needed and booked my safety test.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 22
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by JWD40 » 06 Jan 2019, 5:03 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
Ziad wrote:He wants to save the 20dollar range fee and the drive.

Maybe get a few acres... maybe 100+ ideally anges make your own target place

Agreed , start door knocking you have nothing to loose .


I don't know that i'd suggest door knocking, letter box dropping is probably more polite and possibly safer.
There are also online registers for interest to hunt, which could probably lead to someone allowing you to "sight in your rifles"
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2019, 6:28 pm

I have always door knocked.
Well dressed, polite, respectful, targeted at farms that look like they will have pest issues.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5311
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by southeast varmiter » 06 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 307
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
tracks wrote:Can't believe this question is being asked, I quote from the act "target shooting on an approved shooting range only" you cannot target shoot anywhere else, so how did you go with contacting the firearms branch and the local police, bet you haven't and if you did the police would be looking at how you got a firearms licence and failed to understand the law.


You can target shoot on private property as well.


Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1374
Tasmania

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by Sarco » 06 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:the firearms act isn't that easy to find :thumbsdown:
last I saw it was only obtainable in full from the department of justice but who would be expected to know that :unknown:
not that simple tracks give the guy a break and help him out :thumbsup:
firearms owners are not handed the information for a reason but you can give a link to an answer very easily to help someone out
it costs you as much as it does to berate someone online who has asked a genuine question because he did not know ;)


Victoria Firearms Act, 1996
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/dde300b846eed9c7ca257616000a3571/09c184d87048bd4aca2579ff00167754/$FILE/96-66aa064%20authorised.pdf

Victoria Firearms Regulations, 2008
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt7.nsf/b1612aeaf0625227ca257619000d0882/51898447f261697fca257a7e000bfece/$FILE/08-22sra002%20authorised.pdf


These links are at least 6 years out of date. Current Act is dated 3 Sep 18, and Regs 20 Aug 18.

Also some Government Gazettes are applicable (eg. for approved general category handgun matches matches)

Use:

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/

Then search for Acts/Regs and get current legislation.
Sarco
Private
Private
 
Posts: 70
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 9:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...


I'm not saying you can do it anywhere outside of Victoria (check the title of this thread), I know you can't in NSW. We can specifically "practice" here in Vic, and "target shoot" as allowed under Regulation 22. If you have a CatC firearm you can only use it on the properties it's licenced to, so all practicing and load development is required to happen on those properties - you can't take it to a range.
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 Jan 2019, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5449
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by ZXRR » 06 Jan 2019, 9:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have always door knocked.
Well dressed, polite, respectful, targeted at farms that look like they will have pest issues.


Rather good concept, have not thought of it myself but i might actually do this. I'll work on a nice letter tonight and print them off, I'll pop them in the mail boxes with my email on it if they are accepting of me shooting there. I live next to quite a few farms, 30 minutes away and it's nothing but massive land (Although some of it is next to roads, there are many backstops I've seen).

southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.



Usually takes me at least 100 rounds to sight mine in, my rifles must be faulty :D
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 22
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Sarco wrote:These links are at least 6 years out of date. Current Act is dated 3 Sep 18, and Regs 20 Aug 18.

Also some Government Gazettes are applicable (eg. for approved general category handgun matches matches)

Use:

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/

Then search for Acts/Regs and get current legislation.


Quite probably, I merely posted them to show that they are online and not very hard to find.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5449
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jan 2019, 11:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...


I'm not saying you can do it anywhere outside of Victoria (check the title of this thread), I know you can't in NSW. We can specifically "practice" here in Vic, and "target shoot" as allowed under Regulation 22. If you have a CatC firearm you can only use it on the properties it's licenced to, so all practicing and load development is required to happen on those properties - you can't take it to a range.


That’s gold re cat C - didn’t know that...you’d really want / need one...I actually think I’m eligible now as I’ve got a crop protection permit in place for primary production...but if our laws emulate vic in that space...bugger it.

It really is a debacle - based on the Tas rules as I understand it at least - you could find yourself cornered for buying and then using a clay target thrower on private property...because you don’t sight a shotgun in and theoretically - we can’t practice...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1374
Tasmania

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by Ziad » 07 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

Hey br are there any regs regarding plinking or sighting in on owned private property (rural/farming)..... aka can it be done or which part of the act deals with it
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1189
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by JWD40 » 07 Jan 2019, 7:11 am

southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.


Must be different in Vic, in NSW, you're not allowed to sight in your rifle in the state forest, has to be completed before heading out there.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by southeast varmiter » 07 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

JWD40 wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.


Must be different in Vic, in NSW, you're not allowed to sight in your rifle in the state forest, has to be completed before heading out there.


It’s different because here in Vic we treat public land as public land. You are free to legally use a firearm
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 307
Victoria

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jan 2019, 12:38 pm

JWD40 wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.


Must be different in Vic, in NSW, you're not allowed to sight in your rifle in the state forest, has to be completed before heading out there.


Does that mean you must have access too private land/or a range to own a firearm in NSW - if you want to hunt?
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1374
Tasmania

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Victorian gun laws