New VIC licence

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

New VIC licence

Post by Ellpacca » 10 Jul 2018, 1:17 pm

So I’ve applied for my VIC a+b gun license which should arrive back to me very soon. As I’ve already found a gun I want and got the local gun shop to order it in, will I have to wait around for 28 (first permit to Aquire) after my license process is complete to actually use it? Or is there some way around it?

I also plan on buying one of my friends .22 off him. His license has expired and is in storage at the local gun shop, would I (with consent from him in store) be able to borrow it off him day 1 after getting my license and then go through the permit
process if I wish to buy it off him?

Thanks for the help.
Ellpacca
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New VIC licence

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jul 2018, 3:02 pm

G'day Elpacca,
The only way to foreshorten the 28 day waiting period is to submit your PTA at the same time as your Licence application. As you didn't, you must now wait for your licence, then submit your PTA and wait. As for the 22, no, your friend is unlicenced and therefore has no authority to deal with that rifle anymore. If he has a very good relationship with the shop, they may lend you the rifle, but you would not be able to keep it for more than 7 days, so no point doing that just apply for the PTA, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 12 Jul 2018, 4:09 pm

No1Mk3, IIRC, in Vic, a gunshop can only loan you a firearm if you are already the owner of at least one firearm.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Supaduke » 12 Jul 2018, 6:44 pm

Unless you are on very friendly terms with the gunshop owner and/or a proven track record of being a serious gun buyer I would imagine you would have zero chance of borrowing a rifle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2018, 5:18 pm

Ellpacca wrote:So I’ve applied for my VIC a+b gun license which should arrive back to me very soon. As I’ve already found a gun I want and got the local gun shop to order it in, will I have to wait around for 28 (first permit to Aquire) after my license process is complete to actually use it? Or is there some way around it?

I also plan on buying one of my friends .22 off him. His license has expired and is in storage at the local gun shop, would I (with consent from him in store) be able to borrow it off him day 1 after getting my license and then go through the permit
process if I wish to buy it off him?

Thanks for the help.

You can try lodging a PtA now, but it might not go into the same pile as your application.
You can't borrow, or hire a firearm until you already own one. Once you have your licence, you should be okay to shoot with somebody though, under their supervision, not on your own.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 14 Jul 2018, 6:22 am

That's not quite correct. Also, suggesting that someone who has successfully obtained a license can only shoot under supervision if they don't own a rifle is not correct.
The requirement about owning one before borrowing one, only applies to dealers loaning rifles.

The moment someone obtains a license, they can borrow a rifle (category dependent) from a friend.

As for the friends .22 the OP says is in storage at the local gun shop, that .22 is not the property of the gun shop so they can't make a decision at all to loan it to anybody.
If on the day the OP's license is granted, he has compliant storage, there's no reason I can see that the friend can't instruct the gun shop to give him the rifle. The friend would most likely have to let licensing know about the new storage arrangement.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

Jager you r correct. The 28 day wait is to buy a new firearm. But he can use someone else firearm as long as his license allows the catagory. And the friend can store it in his safe as long as he notify lrd and the safe is compliant
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws