"Firearms storage at SSAA Springvale Range"

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: "Firearms storage at SSAA Springvale Range"

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Jul 2018, 10:14 am

Archie wrote:Can get a bit tricky finding somewhere to bolt it down to on the 20th floor of a Meriton box. Can be done but its not the easiest thing in the world.

Find somewhere better to live then :D I would never live in a big city, just can't deal with all the restrictions that it entails, I'm more a bush and freedom type person myself :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 20 Jul 2018, 6:16 pm

I have been hearing rumours about the ssaa wanting to try this for quite some time
it is another cash cow for the ssaa :shock:
just like the ssaa firearm safety course they are hoping will become accepted as a need for new comers before they can apply for there licence
ssaavic.com.au/firearms-safety-course-goes-live/
they think if there is no backlash to it, it will become the norm and they will be the innovator
with friends like these who needs enemy's :thumbsdown:
the ssaa suck :crazy:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 20 Jul 2018, 6:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Archie wrote:Can get a bit tricky finding somewhere to bolt it down to on the 20th floor of a Meriton box. Can be done but its not the easiest thing in the world.

Find somewhere better to live then :D I would never live in a big city, just can't deal with all the restrictions that it entails, I'm more a bush and freedom type person myself :thumbsup:

And that's great :thumbsup: But not everyone has the choice, work , family , healthcare etc etc ties a lot of people to major cities. I even own a house where I want to live but there's SFA work so I'm renting in Melbourne :unknown:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 20 Jul 2018, 6:32 pm

marksman wrote:I have been hearing rumours about the ssaa wanting to try this for quite some time
just like the ssaa firearm safety course they are hoping will become accepted as a need for new comers before they can apply for there licence
they think if there is no backlash to it, it will become the norm and they will be the innovator

Are the club's minutes available to members or is this a secret agenda?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 20 Jul 2018, 6:55 pm

Wombat wrote:Are the club's minutes available to members or is this a secret agenda?

If you are a member of the SSAA Springvale Branch, you would be entitled to ask to see a copy of meeting minutes.
Your question suggests a couple of possibilities though. You ARE a member but you don't attend the meetings, in which case you really don't give a shyte about how your branch is run.
Or, you ARE a member but have failed to advise the Branch Secretary of your email address so that those minutes can be distributed to you. Almost as bad as the first scenario.
If you ARE a Springvale Branch member and you don't know what is going on, you have absolutely no right to complain about the direction the Branch might be taking. A bit like politics really; vote or quit complaining.

But, if you are not a member, you might be pushing the proverbial uphill trying to get a copy.

It's rather tiresome to go to committee meetings of a Branch with several hundred members, and regularly see the same dozen or so at those meetings. Complaints are dealt with as you might expect, if you can get my drift from the above.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Jul 2018, 7:17 pm

Wombat wrote:
marksman wrote:I have been hearing rumours about the ssaa wanting to try this for quite some time

Are the club's minutes available to members or is this a secret agenda?

you are so funny Wombat :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 20 Jul 2018, 7:47 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Wombat wrote:Are the club's minutes available to members or is this a secret agenda?

If you are a member of the SSAA Springvale Branch, you would be entitled to ask to see a copy of meeting minutes.
Your question suggests a couple of possibilities though. You ARE a member but you don't attend the meetings, in which case you really don't give a shyte about how your branch is run.
Or, you ARE a member but have failed to advise the Branch Secretary of your email address so that those minutes can be distributed to you. Almost as bad as the first scenario.
If you ARE a Springvale Branch member and you don't know what is going on, you have absolutely no right to complain about the direction the Branch might be taking. A bit like politics really; vote or quit complaining.

But, if you are not a member, you might be pushing the proverbial uphill trying to get a copy.

It's rather tiresome to go to committee meetings of a Branch with several hundred members, and regularly see the same dozen or so at those meetings. Complaints are dealt with as you might expect, if you can get my drift from the above.

I was a member, then I had a RO basically demand money with menaces as my membership had lapsed by a week. Put my nose out of joint. Long story, but I dont have to/need to be a SSAA member. If I start using the range enough again I may rejoin just for the savings in fees.
I also dont see where I have made a complaint (previous to the 2 lines above), I have merely asked if there is any evidence of others assertions and stated that I believed the proposal was benign in nature.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 Jul 2018, 7:57 pm

I also believe that SSAA is not acting for the benefit of their members but for cash. The safety course they are trying to create a monopoly and have their safety coarse written into the requirements to getting a license. In Vic a lot of gun shops run License Nights where they go over all the topics then immediately after you sit the test. The local DFO is there to do the administration.
The locker storage I dont see a conspiracy in that only another service that they can offer to get better return on the property.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 20 Jul 2018, 8:21 pm

Wombat I would agree with you that the proposal would be benign in nature "if" there were no fee :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 20 Jul 2018, 8:51 pm

Thanks gents for balancing the argument.

I was pissed off at being described as a "whinger" [twice in consecutive posts] by people who may or may not have an interest in an organisation which should be the Australian NRA but in my view are Quislings.

"Why whinge? You obviously have not thought through your position, literally hundreds of shooters have to store their firearms at places like Kennards and Storage King"

I know very many shooters but not one of the "hundreds" who store their firearms away from home, I would welcome any justification for the above statement, I suspect it is a lie in that the bloke who posted it would not know.

BTW I know a Plumber who paid to store an expensive excavator in the yard of one of the companies named above, they also rented office space and had a drug dealer living in one, the machine and the drug dealer disappeared at the same time.

The Plumber became aware of the circumstances and initiated legal action, he was told to f#$k off, the storage company had money and Lawyers it would never end.

Just the sort of folks you want storing firearms for which you are responsible.

If you cannot find space to install even a basic firearms safe you must be homeless ?

If "Mum" does not like firearms in the house move out !
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Jul 2018, 8:01 am

sungazer wrote:I also believe that SSAA is not acting for the benefit of their members but for cash. The safety course they are trying to create a monopoly and have their safety coarse written into the requirements to getting a license. In Vic a lot of gun shops run License Nights where they go over all the topics then immediately after you sit the test. The local DFO is there to do the administration.
The locker storage I dont see a conspiracy in that only another service that they can offer to get better return on the property.

Mate not sure where you getting your info from... maybe you live in a different vic... never seen a gun shop offering safety course. I contacted the police station where i lodged application they told me when the next FREE safety course evening was being run... at the local German club. The ssaa ppl were running it... but it was free
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Archie » 21 Jul 2018, 10:57 am

Tiger, I don’t know about Victoria specifically but there really are hundreds who use that sort of storage in NSW. Not many Kennard’s have gun lockers but the one near me has around 100 rifle safes and similar number of pistol saves and there is about a two month wait list. I would guess that St Mary’s range has many more - I think my old safe number was in the 500s - and again there is (or used to be at least) a wait list. So people really do use these things, it’s not made up.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 21 Jul 2018, 6:47 pm

Yep I South Morang Hunting Fishing and Camping run a Licence night at least once a month. The Police even direct people to the different shops when they apply. The DFO said in is intro he likes to spread the course's amongst the different shops in the district
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jul 2018, 8:59 pm

Hey Sunngazer are the LGS doing licences tests required to have a qualified Instructor and how do you get on with the live firing test?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 22 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

This is Vic mate none of that crap. Just need the police in attendance.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 22 Jul 2018, 9:42 am

sungazer wrote:This is Vic mate none of that crap. Just need the police in attendance.

This explains why the course down south can be done in a couple of hours. (Id been wondering). :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 25 Jul 2018, 7:36 pm

As we have drifted off a little into training rather than other things I will share an experience from a licence required training course many years ago.

I was a shooter as a kid on the farm and then Regular Army and had a pretty comfortable view of my ability to make firearms safe.

Whilst paying attention I had a F$c@!!! moment when the instructor described live round hangups in tube mag firearms.

I had been used to single shot bolt rifles and detachable magazine and belt fed guns, I was enlightened to say the least.

I now have experience with tube mag [Win '92] rifles and still wonder at my ignorance before that training.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws