FN 57 WA Legal?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

FN 57 WA Legal?

Post by rinkydink » 21 Jul 2018, 5:12 am

Hey fellas!

Thinking about getting an FN Five-seven from interstate, however I'm quite sceptical that I can get it approved. Appearance wise I see no difference between it and any other already licensable "black" type handgun to make the police think it qualifies for "military appearance", but I think the calibre will be a bigger issue with police; 5.7x28mm strikes me as something WAPOL will just label as a "rifle calibre" and therefore not legal for handgun use.

Would appreciate any advice / tips.
God, guns and women. In that order. Image
rinkydink
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: FN 57 WA Legal?

Post by No1_49er » 21 Jul 2018, 9:20 am

.224 might well be a "rifle calibre" but I hardly think the cartridge is in any sort of general usage as a rifle chambering.
Seems like you'll have to ask WAPOL.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 21 Jul 2018, 10:45 am

If your club allows their use I don't see a problem as they licence the 460 Weatherby Magnum, 50 Desert Eagle etc handguns for Metallic.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2018, 1:41 pm

rinkydink wrote:Hey fellas!

Thinking about getting an FN Five-seven from interstate, however I'm quite sceptical that I can get it approved. Appearance wise I see no difference between it and any other already licensable "black" type handgun to make the police think it qualifies for "military appearance", but I think the calibre will be a bigger issue with police; 5.7x28mm strikes me as something WAPOL will just label as a "rifle calibre" and therefore not legal for handgun use.

Do they not allow rifle-caliber handguns already? Like the single-shot silhouette handguns?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 20 Aug 2020, 3:19 pm

Hello rinkydink
How did you go with your 5.7 x 28 in Western Australia.
I have just bought one here in Sydney and waiting for my PTA (permit to acquire) to come in the mail so I can go pick it up.
The problem I am having, even before I have picked up the pistol, is ammunition. I cant get any. I cant even get brass.
I have started a new topic in the reloading section called "loading for 5.7 x 28", if you want to have a read.
If you have any advice to help me that would be great. Can you let me know if you can get ammo in WA or brass, that would be great.
If you have any load data using ADI powders would be great.
Thanks Bello
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DJCoopes » 21 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
rinkydink wrote:Hey fellas!

Do they not allow rifle-caliber handguns already? Like the single-shot silhouette handguns?

I second this question.
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 22 Apr 2021, 5:22 pm

Th only match I can see it quality for is Silhouette Big Bore, is won't be eligible for field pistol as its not a straight walled case or on the approved exemptions list, IPSC has a 9mm minimum calibre rule... would it be eligible for Service?? Anyone who shoots it know of it would be eligible, would it make power factor?
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett » 06 Sep 2021, 11:02 am

fyi 5.7x28mm is legal in WA for IHMS though no gunshop has ammo or brass and it doesn't have great knockdown despite its great speed.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws