Where can I, and where can't I shoot in QLD?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Where can I, and where can't I shoot in QLD?

Post by Windston » 23 Jul 2018, 2:19 pm

Hi,

I have tried to find some info regarding this, but cant really find anything of use.

I have 12 acres of land designated as 'mixed use' land (not residential, but not far enough out to be rural.) outside of town. Is it legal to say, sight in a 22lr? Provided I use quiet ammo as to not piss off the neighbors (which I doubt could even hardly hear supersonic 22lr from all the trees and distance between me and them) and the target set up in such a that the round could never leave my property? (ie, shooting into a hill) Or even an air rifle?

With all the crap in the NFA and the hundreds of pages of legal nonsense that hardly makes any sense, why the hell isn't there clear cut rules on things like this?

Cheers
Dan
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Where can I, and where can't I shoot in QLD?

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jul 2018, 2:39 pm

Did you call WLB (not on a Wednesday though - they don't answer) to get an answer?
If it's a matter of using a designated range, it would help to know your location (well, not exact, if you know what I mean) but, much as some throw out disparaging remarks about them on this forum, there are quite a few SSAA ranges in Qld.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Windston » 23 Jul 2018, 3:03 pm

I would prefer to not have to go to the range just to check zero, its a whole lot quicker to just be able to go out into the yard and put a couple shots on paper before going out to do some bunny busting on the farm. I am just outside of Toowoomba.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jul 2018, 3:55 pm

Maybe find out which zone ya property falls in ie residential or rural or even rural residential.then ring the local copper and ask.them how they'd police it as they're gonna be the ones that come around if there are any problems. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Windston » 23 Jul 2018, 4:07 pm

Yeh its zoned, 'mixed use', for some reason. The neighbors place is 'rural residential'.

Would the cops be receptive? I get the impression that as soon as I mention 'gun', they will be all nope nope nope!
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jul 2018, 4:29 pm

Windston wrote:Yeh its zoned, 'mixed use', for some reason. The neighbors place is 'rural residential'.

Would the cops be receptive? I get the impression that as soon as I mention 'gun', they will be all nope nope nope!

It's hard to say I've never had to deal with the coppers down there :D
The ones up here are mostly shooters themselves so they tend to be very approachable but ya won't know til ya try :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jul 2018, 5:46 pm

Windston wrote:Yeh its zoned, 'mixed use', for some reason. The neighbors place is 'rural residential'.

It really is up to you as to how you feel about asking plod.
Perhaps there are two ways of looking at the situation.
1 You actually ask and they say no. Hopefully they have a reason/s, maybe about zoning etc., or they say yes, or
2 You don't ask, you do your sighting in, and plod gets a call about a shooter in the area.
Which would you prefer?
And if plod said no at the outset, you might be stuck with going to a range anyway.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Smiley » 23 Jul 2018, 6:50 pm

I'm pretty sure you need 40 hectares to have a licence for primary production in Qld, so I'd guess that you'd need 40 hectares to fire a shot on?
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by tofu » 23 Jul 2018, 7:35 pm

from police website

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... tional.htm

For Recreational shooting on rural lands, the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres)

edit:
then i found this article (it is a bit old though)
http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gun-l ... hooting-on

then found this on police site...
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... ishing.pdf
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Windston » 23 Jul 2018, 9:48 pm

tofu wrote:from police website

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... tional.htm

For Recreational shooting on rural lands, the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres)

edit:
then i found this article (it is a bit old though)
http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gun-l ... hooting-on

then found this on police site...
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... ishing.pdf

The form I used for my licence was slightly different to that and didn't have the part about your property being under 40 acres and having a police check, maybe thats as close as we get to a law about it? Strange that it isn't really mentioned anywhere else that I can see. I was thinking that maybe bc it isnt really recreational target shooting, it might be a different situation, but maybe not.

And I do have a farm to shoot on, our farm is about an hours drive away, and often when I get there it is dark so its a pain to check zero with different ammo. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to just check it when I have some spare time at home here, but I just cannot see the police giving the go-ahead. Guess I will just have to suck it up :cry:
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm

Smiley wrote:I'm pretty sure you need 40 hectares to have a licence for primary production in Qld, so I'd guess that you'd need 40 hectares to fire a shot on?

As of a year or so ago, that was not the case, unless it has changed, as long as your projectile does not leave the property and or cause undue nuisance, you can shoot on rural land of any size, I have shot on lots as small as 5 acres without any problems.

It depends on what you are doing, although in saying that, I had and incidence where a relative of a neighbour was shooting indiscriminately with a shot gun at birds, he is a known nutcase, I called the coppers, they turned up and the fact he had a shooters license and had permission, there was nothing they could do, subsequent to this, 12 months or so later, he bashed his mother and lost his shooters license.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jul 2018, 11:06 pm

Windston wrote:Hi,

I have tried to find some info regarding this, but cant really find anything of use.

I have 12 acres of land designated as 'mixed use' land (not residential, but not far enough out to be rural.) outside of town. Is it legal to say, sight in a 22lr? Provided I use quiet ammo as to not piss off the neighbors (which I doubt could even hardly hear supersonic 22lr from all the trees and distance between me and them) and the target set up in such a that the round could never leave my property? (ie, shooting into a hill) Or even an air rifle?

With all the crap in the NFA and the hundreds of pages of legal nonsense that hardly makes any sense, why the hell isn't there clear cut rules on things like this?

Cheers
Dan

I have sent you a PM, I may be able to help with a place to zero in your .22.
Member-Deleted

Return to Queensland gun laws