Genuine reasons-renewing licence

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Genuine reasons-renewing licence

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Aug 2018, 6:38 pm

It's time for me to renew my gun licence, and currently the only genuine reason I have is for hunting purposes. I've been wondering if under the hunting genuine reason shooter's would be able to participate in shooting competitions at gun clubs. Until this point I haven't been interested in competing in any formal shooting events, but as I'm looking at participating in military rifle events I thought it would of benefit that I ask now before I renew my licence, so I may tick the target shooting category.

While on the topic, I might as well ask if my club membership doesn't arrive before my licence expires and I decide to only tick hunting for now, would it be plausible to select target shooting at a later date? I've heard it can be quite a pain. Cheers in advance for your answers, I look forward to what you have to say.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Genuine reasons-renewing licence

Post by sungazer » 03 Aug 2018, 6:55 pm

No need to really have target in Vic unless that is your only GR. You can shoot at any range and compete in any competitions that are run with any other GR category.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2018, 7:23 pm

although you have selected hunting as a genuine reason you can also target shoot in comps with no problem or need to change your genuine reason
no different than if you had chose target shooting as a genuine reason you can still hunt on that licence in Vic without hunting as a genuine reason
unless the chief commissioner decides to make your licence only for your genuine reason you can use it for both
I hope I have not confused you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 03 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

If you do add Target you may raise flags if you cease club membership for some reason. Better sticking to hunting I reckon.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Aug 2018, 8:03 pm

marksman wrote:although you have selected hunting as a genuine reason you can also target shoot in comps with no problem or need to change your genuine reason
no different than if you had chose target shooting as a genuine reason you can still hunt on that licence in Vic without hunting as a genuine reason
unless the chief commissioner decides to make your licence only for your genuine reason you can use it for both
I hope I have not confused you :thumbsup:

Is that correct marksman. I know you can shoot feral / pests but not so sure about the hunting game species. I am more familiar with Primary production though and I think what I have described applies to that category. I thought Target was even more restrictive.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2018, 9:12 pm

yes it is correct,
for hunting game species you need a game licence
http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/Licensing/app ... me-licence
does not go by your shooters licence

if the chief commissioner was to restrict you to your genuine need reason it would be put on your licence as only for that reason
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 04 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm just going to stick with the hunting genuine reason for now. If there is any dramas for whatever reason I'll be sure to let you guys know.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SamHuntVic » 17 Aug 2018, 11:25 am

Wombat wrote:If you do add Target you may raise flags if you cease club membership for some reason. Better sticking to hunting I reckon.

That's the perfect answer. Just list hunting.
Although, how's this?
I renewed last time with just hunting as my genuine reason and the licence came back with target shooting listed as well. I called registry and was told that they had outside people come in to help with processing and it was added by somebody with no real knowledge. I told them that I didn't want that on my licence as it could become the thin end of the wedge if rules changed and attendance at a range might be required in the future. No problem they said and sent me a replacement with the correct reason. I now have two legit current licences as the first one wasn't cancelled.
Grant.
Don't hide from your mates in the bush!™
SamHuntVic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws