Overnight Transits with Firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Overnight Transits with Firearms

Post by Rider888 » 06 Aug 2018, 7:44 am

Im sure this is covered somewhere already but here is my situation:

Will be travelling from NSW to SA shortly via car. Intent is to stop somewhere between the 2 destinations, inside the NSW border, and spend the night before carrying on to SA.

Here is the question:

What are the rules and regulations governing overnight stops? I.e. Staying over night in a Motel/Hotel with my firearm and Ammo?

I know I cannot leave it locked in the vehicle overnight unless the vehicle is in a "secure" compound. What about keeping it in the room with me which seems like a better solution?

Just trying to plan ahead.

Thank you
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Overnight Transits with Firearms

Post by marksman » 06 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

I dont know the rules for nsw or sa but would expect you to keep the firearms with you eg in the bedroom while you sleep in the car when in transit
or maybe get a lockable case and chain the case to part of a structure where ever you will be staying eg to the bed
in vic it is you must do everything you can to stop the firearm from being stolen, in your opinion at the time
but that is tested by the policeman at the time there is a problem as to if you will get charged :unknown:
gun laws are not specific on a lot of things
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

Yes, it's a bit of a worry,alright. I've tried locking in securely in the boot of the car in the motel car park but at every little noise, I'm up at the window looking out to see if there is anything happening.
I carry the firearm in a lockable case into the room and can usually find a cupboard to store it in. I use a dog chain or such to wrap it around the case, through the handle(can't side chain of case) and to the rail in the cupboard and/or suitcase with a couple of padlocks. Often the bed is to the floor with no legs and can't go under but there is usually a place to chain it up to. The case came from one of the Auto mob - Super Cheap Auto, I think.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 06 Aug 2018, 1:56 pm

Why not ask the Registry and let us all know?

Common question - but we are yet to really know a proper answer.

I think their answer would be lock it in the car and lock you car in a private/ secure carpark.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 06 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

bullzeye wrote:Why not ask the Registry and let us all know?

I think their answer would be lock it in the car and lock you car in a private/ secure carpark.

In theory that would be simple but how many places are there in the boonies actually have "secure" carparks? Not many I imagine. Funny thing is i spoke to them about everything else and forgot to ask that question today :O
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Aug 2018, 6:50 pm

Cant talk about SA rider, but NSW which is part of your question.

There is no specific legislation in transport of firearms in NSW other than take reasonable precautions. However the commisioner has released a factsheet that “helps” to meet reasonable precautions.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

Section on cat c/d/h

What legislative requirements are there in relation to transportation of category C, D & H firearms?
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within the vehicle.

Now there is no information in legislation for the overnight stays.

I travel regularly with both my rifle and pistols, when staying overnight with my pistols, they stay with me, where i am, eg in my motel room. They are locked and not operational by trigger lock.

I also have a letter/email from the club i am shooting at with an invite to shoot so i can “justify” travelling with pistols.

As always this is not advice and research should be done.

Its a big grey area in nsw. Dont be stupid, use reasonable precautions as outlined in the factsheet.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2018, 7:16 pm

Ive done it...but on a jaunt to vic.

Locked ammo box in cupboard & rifles under bed beneath me.

I deemed that to be as good as i could do at the time.

Maybe trigger locks could help the case if anything happened, or a locked steel toolbox of 3mm steel chained to the building in the room you are in...
How far do you go...?
(But i havnt read the link wylie posted).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2018, 7:21 pm

What you going to SA for rider...

Hope you're not stealing any foxes or bunnies...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 06 Aug 2018, 7:28 pm

Rider888 wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Why not ask the Registry and let us all know?

In theory that would be simple but how many places are there in the boonies actually have "secure" carparks? Not many I imagine. Funny thing is i spoke to them about everything else and forgot to ask that question today :O

All good. I myself would prefer to keep the Firearms in the hotel room too.

However say you were going on an overnight hunting trip and camping. The registry says your firearms should be locked in your vehicle near the campsite. Of course in a locked box out of sight. Not with you in the tent. So on this basis I think it is what they would want you to do in your situation above.

Still a bit of a grey area and would really be good to get some official info from the Registry.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

Don't forget most cars have alarms fitted.

So personally I would,

1.Lock rifle in car out of sight.
2. Lock ammo in box,
3.Fit trigger lock.
4. Remove bolt and lock in container or glove box,

1,2,3 I always do anyway.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Don't forget most cars have alarms fitted.

They do...?...i didnt know that.. i know most have ignition kill, but not alarms.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rider888 » 17 Aug 2018, 6:46 am

Stix wrote:What you going to SA for rider...

Hope you're not stealing any foxes or bunnies...!!

Foxes or Bunnies ????? Nah likely to be moving there
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 17 Aug 2018, 6:47 am

Wylie27 wrote:Cant talk about SA rider, but NSW which is part of your question.

There is no specific legislation in transport of firearms in NSW other than take reasonable precautions. However the commisioner has released a factsheet that “helps” to meet reasonable precautions.

Section on cat c/d/h

What legislative requirements are there in relation to transportation of category C, D & H firearms?
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within the vehicle.

I travel regularly with both my rifle and pistols, when staying overnight with my pistols, they stay with me, where i am, eg in my motel room. They are locked and not operational by trigger lock.

I also have a letter/email from the club i am shooting at with an invite to shoot so i can “justify” travelling with pistols.

Its a big grey area in nsw. Dont be stupid, use reasonable precautions as outlined in the factsheet.

Thanks Mate for this. Shame there is so much grey. Maybe intentional to make things difficult for honest people
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Aug 2018, 8:28 am

There's also the option of asking the local copper to store it at the station if the town has one. Saves all the worries.....except whether the cop is gonna steal it or not!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 17 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

Daddybang wrote:There's also the option of asking the local copper to store it at the station if the town has one. Saves all the worries.....except whether the cop is gonna steal it or not!!! :lol: :drinks:

I was under the impression that Police Stations were reluctant to store weapons for the public
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Aug 2018, 9:03 am

Rider888 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:There's also the option of asking the local copper to store it at the station if the town has one. Saves all the worries.....except whether the cop is gonna steal it or not!!! :lol: :drinks:

I was under the impression that Police Stations were reluctant to store weapons for the public

Can't speak for down south but around here most country cops are very reasonable when it comes to firearms. If ya go and ask ya might be pleasantly surprised.
Think of it this way.... Ya ask to store it station and they say no then ya firearm gets stolen from the hotel.. The copper is gonna have some explaining to do. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 22 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

Rider888 wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:Cant talk about SA rider, but NSW which is part of your question.

Section on cat c/d/h

Thanks Mate for this. Shame there is so much grey. Maybe intentional to make things difficult for honest people

Everyone gets me so paranoid with the " you cant have your pistol in the car unless you are going from home to the range or to the gun shop" etc

Sometime I dont always go from home to the range. I might have a stop off at a friends place for dinner before heading to the range. This should be ok right?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by doc » 22 Aug 2018, 5:03 pm

Re storage overnight. As I see it...

1) The law is intentionally gray - and I like it that way. It's designed to allow you flexibility to choose what is best depending on the scenario that you face. What is more appropriate for one person at one location may not be for the next person at the next location.

2) Forget being charged - unless the firearm is stolen. If the firearm is stolen - it will be up to you to prove that you chose the best option and no other more suitable option was warranted.

For me - I keep the firearm in the car, until I'm ready to go into the motel room and stay there for the night. A locked vehicle is a much safer place than an unattended motel (where numerous people may have keys) for when you're out having a drink, having a meal, etc.

Once I'm back for the night - the firearm and ammo come inside with me. (The ammo more for temperature sake than safety sake - as often it gets cold in the car and can affect the ammo, but that's another topic). The firearms stay in a locked container normally next to the bed. (I'm not putting anything under the bed - not after some of the things I've witnessed remaining under there... yuck!). Next to the bed will more than suffice...

Reverse occurs in the morning. If I'm going to leave the motel room and go somewhere (breakfast, etc) - the firearm goes back into the vehicle first.

At the end of the day it's common sense. Run a few scenario's through your mind - figure out what best suits for your situation. If I was sharing the motel room with a few strangers (unlikely - but if you were staying at a backpackers for instance) - then the vehicle would be the wiser option for the night. It all comes down to what is most appropriate - and for that I actually appreciate the grayness as it gives latitude for some common sense.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Rider888 » 22 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

doc wrote:Re storage overnight. As I see it...

1) The law is intentionally gray - and I like it that way. It's designed to allow you flexibility to choose what is best depending on the scenario that you face. What is more appropriate for one person at one location may not be for the next person at the next location.

2) Forget being charged - unless the firearm is stolen. If the firearm is stolen - it will be up to you to prove that you chose the best option and no other more suitable option was warranted.

For me - I keep the firearm in the car, until I'm ready to go into the motel room and stay there for the night. A locked vehicle is a much safer place than an unattended motel (where numerous people may have keys) for when you're out having a drink, having a meal, etc.

Once I'm back for the night - the firearm and ammo come inside with me. (The ammo more for temperature sake than safety sake - as often it gets cold in the car and can affect the ammo, but that's another topic). The firearms stay in a locked container normally next to the bed. (I'm not putting anything under the bed - not after some of the things I've witnessed remaining under there... yuck!). Next to the bed will more than suffice...

Reverse occurs in the morning. If I'm going to leave the motel room and go somewhere (breakfast, etc) - the firearm goes back into the vehicle first.

At the end of the day it's common sense. Run a few scenario's through your mind - figure out what best suits for your situation. If I was sharing the motel room with a few strangers (unlikely - but if you were staying at a backpackers for instance) - then the vehicle would be the wiser option for the night. It all comes down to what is most appropriate - and for that I actually appreciate the grayness as it gives latitude for some common sense.

Thank you. What you’ve said makes perfect sense. Just concern that the POL would not apply common sense.

Cheers
Last edited by Rider888 on 23 Aug 2018, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 22 Aug 2018, 9:30 pm

Once I get around to buying/fitting a steel lockable drawer in the canopy of my hilux I would definitely choose that option for sure.
Even without one I would prefer to have my firearms locked in my alarm equipped vehicle than in someone else's building.
Haven't been in that situation though.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm

Stix wrote:

They do...?...i didnt know that.. i know most have ignition kill, but not alarms.

OK. Some do. One of mine does. I guess that’s life. Mainly newer models I think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Stix wrote:

OK. Some do. One of mine does. I guess that’s life. Mainly newer models I think.

Gees where the hell you been Old Bloke...???
You been testing your tracking skills & off yonder lookin for Bentaz...? :lol: :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws