Overnight Transits with Firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Overnight Transits with Firearms

Post by Rider888 » 22 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

doc wrote:Re storage overnight. As I see it...

1) The law is intentionally gray - and I like it that way. It's designed to allow you flexibility to choose what is best depending on the scenario that you face. What is more appropriate for one person at one location may not be for the next person at the next location.

2) Forget being charged - unless the firearm is stolen. If the firearm is stolen - it will be up to you to prove that you chose the best option and no other more suitable option was warranted.

For me - I keep the firearm in the car, until I'm ready to go into the motel room and stay there for the night. A locked vehicle is a much safer place than an unattended motel (where numerous people may have keys) for when you're out having a drink, having a meal, etc.

Once I'm back for the night - the firearm and ammo come inside with me. (The ammo more for temperature sake than safety sake - as often it gets cold in the car and can affect the ammo, but that's another topic). The firearms stay in a locked container normally next to the bed. (I'm not putting anything under the bed - not after some of the things I've witnessed remaining under there... yuck!). Next to the bed will more than suffice...

Reverse occurs in the morning. If I'm going to leave the motel room and go somewhere (breakfast, etc) - the firearm goes back into the vehicle first.

At the end of the day it's common sense. Run a few scenario's through your mind - figure out what best suits for your situation. If I was sharing the motel room with a few strangers (unlikely - but if you were staying at a backpackers for instance) - then the vehicle would be the wiser option for the night. It all comes down to what is most appropriate - and for that I actually appreciate the grayness as it gives latitude for some common sense.

Thank you. What you’ve said makes perfect sense. Just concern that the POL would not apply common sense.

Cheers
Last edited by Rider888 on 23 Aug 2018, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 22 Aug 2018, 9:30 pm

Once I get around to buying/fitting a steel lockable drawer in the canopy of my hilux I would definitely choose that option for sure.
Even without one I would prefer to have my firearms locked in my alarm equipped vehicle than in someone else's building.
Haven't been in that situation though.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm

Stix wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Don't forget most cars have alarms fitted.

They do...?...i didnt know that.. i know most have ignition kill, but not alarms.

OK. Some do. One of mine does. I guess that’s life. Mainly newer models I think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Stix wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Don't forget most cars have alarms fitted.

They do...?...i didnt know that.. i know most have ignition kill, but not alarms.

OK. Some do. One of mine does. I guess that’s life. Mainly newer models I think.

Gees where the hell you been Old Bloke...???
You been testing your tracking skills & off yonder lookin for Bentaz...? :lol: :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws