3 men caught spotlighting in Tallangatta VIC

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: 3 men caught spotlighting in Tallangatta VIC

Post by Gwion » 11 Oct 2018, 4:39 am

NTSOG wrote:Section 126 of the Firearms Act: ''While being transported, firearms and ammunition should be kept out of sight and stored in separate receptacles that are either secured to the inside of your vehicle or in a lockable component of your vehicle; and ...''

So where does that leave those of us with no lockable 'receptacle' such as a boot: I have an old Nissan Patrol [1996] and a Subaru Impreza hatchback. My wife uses the Patrol for horse events and would not accept a fixed compartment for my rifle as she sleeps in the car at horse events. The Impreza is also out being the day-to-day family car and it would be hard to fit a ''receptacle''. I guess I will have to talk to the local Copper.

With regard to spotlights in recognised deer habitat, that also includes night vision scopes - I have been told by the local Firearms Officer. Actually where I live is not recognised deer habitat - I asked the Game Management Authority - but I would not take a risk with being caught out with my night-vision scope on Crown Land as there are still red deer all around.

Jim

If you want to be sure, you could chain a locked hard case to one of the load anchors in the cargo area of the vehicles. Or, you could remove the installed gun box when yourd wife needs to use the Patrol for horsey stuff; would take all of 5 mins...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws