Tasmania Scrap The Gun Laws

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Tasmania Scrap The Gun Laws

Post by Angel » 17 Aug 2018, 3:15 pm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-1 ... s/10132610

Just saw a news story that Tassie Govt. Arent persuing the Gun Law changes "until after the commitee has run it course". Sold a lie me thinks.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tasmania Scrap The Gun Laws

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Aug 2018, 3:23 pm

Sorry Angel, I was so outraged I didn't see you'd beaten me to the punch.

I don't know how to delete a thread so my duplication will have to stand.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2018, 3:54 pm

stupid Tasmanian's :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2019, 8:59 pm

peterclark wrote:Following the Port Arthur incident, Australia implemented the National Firearms Agreement (NFA). New, uniform state gun laws banned rapid-fire guns from civilian ownership except under certain, restricted licences, and established a government buyback of semi-automatic and pump-action rifles and shotguns.

Your posts of cut and pasted info that has little relevance to the topic strikes me as the tactics of lots of spammers I had to deal with on another forum...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Sep 2019, 9:49 pm

Our politicians brag about how good and tough our gun laws are, and I can’t see them ever relaxing them because of the anti’s and the media fallout. It would be political suicide. If they were relaxed in tazzie, I can well imagine GCA with support of leftist groups like “getup” taking the issue to the high court over breaching NFA . The politicians dangled the promise of relaxation of laws as a “carrot” to get votes, that’s it. They would’ve known they’d never get changes through. We need to protect what few rights we have left. Laws always tend to creep towards being more restrictive, it’s rare they get relaxed. Anyone see the ACA story on gel blaster guns the other night ? Imagine the hysteria over pump action shotty’s or semi auto’s . I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade , I’m just being realistic
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
peterclark wrote:Following the Port Arthur incident, Australia implemented the National Firearms Agreement (NFA). New, uniform state gun laws banned rapid-fire guns from civilian ownership except under certain, restricted licences, and established a government buyback of semi-automatic and pump-action rifles and shotguns.

Your posts of cut and pasted info that has little relevance to the topic strikes me as the tactics of lots of spammers I had to deal with on another forum...

Hmmm... :?

I wonder if his middle name is Russell & if he knows where the cheese is... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Sep 2019, 10:39 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Hmmm... :?

I wonder if his middle name is Russell & if he knows where the cheese is... :unknown:

That cheese would go well with the spam that blade mentioned... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2019, 7:02 am

Just look at all his earlier posts. Sounds like a police officer or anti. Just quotes regulatory requirements.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Just look at all his earlier posts. Sounds like a police officer or anti. Just quotes regulatory requirements.

Could be worse, he might be a accountant !

:lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 13 Sep 2019, 12:05 pm

I don,t normally weigh in on the outraged LAFO topics but this use of terms like slaughter and died in vain is pushing the boundaries.Of course they died in vain they didn,t die for a cause.On a more positive outlook when the semi auto ban came in to effect a buddy of mine went and got a letter from the property manager of the sheep farm he culled pests on explaining he needed fast follow up shots on foxes and legally purchased a brand new 10/22 so if you need a semi or pump you can get one.I am going to cop some flak but in rural Queensland in 1986 you could go in to a rural hardware store and walk out with a semi shotgun and 10 boxes of 00/SG no questions asked.With the prevalence of mind altering recreational drugs I am content that there is a system of acquiring legal firearms.If I claimed I was doing competition trap or skeet I could get a semi auto shotgun.I had a 3 shot Winchester that the previous owner had used very well for just this purpose
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Sep 2019, 1:07 pm

Ummmm.....what?
You cannot get a semi auto 12g for trap or skeet shooting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2019, 1:53 pm

In 1986 in Brisbane you could walk into Kmart and buy a pump action Bentley 12ga or a Stirling semi auto 22 no problem. Just wheel it out to your car in a shopping trolley , no worries . After a spate of murder suicides by husbands being divorced they stopped this practice as fellas bought a shotty then went straight home and killed their wife and kids when they were angry.Not all changes to laws are bad ......
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2019, 2:08 pm

Ummm...

I think he found the cheese...!

Ok...ill be a little less cryptic...

Stop eating the cockles fellas...they're probably attatched to a hook...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2019, 2:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

On other forums spammers use this tactic to build a post count, then they come back later on and edit in their garbage links to all their posts spread throughout the forum. As they rarely read or write English, cutting and pasting is the only way they can post at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2019, 6:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

On other forums spammers use this tactic to build a post count, then they come back later on and edit in their garbage links to all their posts spread throughout the forum. As they rarely read or write English, cutting and pasting is the only way they can post at all.

Aha, I didn’t know that blade , thanks for the info :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 16 Sep 2019, 7:49 am

TassieTiger wrote:Ummmm.....what?

I think you can in some states with a doctors note. Can only be used on a range though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Sep 2019, 9:18 am

Wombat wrote:

I think you can in some states with a doctors note. Can only be used on a range though.

I believe that’s the case in Queensland
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2019, 10:00 am

bigrich wrote:
Wombat wrote:

And Victoria, it's an option for me due to my shoulder.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Sep 2019, 10:52 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Wombat wrote:

And Victoria, it's an option for me due to my shoulder.

I wonder if I could get a upgrade from a 308 bolt gun to a m14 if my shoulder is a bit crook :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

Wombat wrote:

I’was advised by my local clay club - that by applying for an auto on this basis will negate the “fit” clause of a “fit and proper person...” and then there are the local range club laws that state the breach must be open and clear before walking from station to station...not sure how an auto would comply.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 16 Sep 2019, 11:27 am

You load 2 shots use them then move and reload just like a trap gun,When I used my Greener I just did not close the action til it was my turn
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2019, 12:01 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’was advised by my local clay club - that by applying for an auto on this basis will negate the “fit” clause of a “fit and proper person...” and then there are the local range club laws that state the breach must be open and clear before walking from station to station...not sure how an auto would comply.

Fit has nothing to do with physical fitness, whoever told you that is an idiot. Fit means a person regarded as fit to hold a firearm licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2019, 12:04 pm

bigrich wrote:I wonder if I could get a upgrade from a 308 bolt gun to a m14 if my shoulder is a bit crook :D

Not that I'm aware of. It's a specific medical exemption for clay target shooting only, not hunting or recreational shooting. The law does allow us to "practice" on private property in Victoria without restriction on categories of firearm, but it has been shown that CatH is an exception to that rule. I don't know if the same rule applies to a CatC shotgun held purely for competition.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Sep 2019, 12:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:I wonder if I could get a upgrade from a 308 bolt gun to a m14 if my shoulder is a bit crook :D

Not that I'm aware of. It's a specific medical exemption for clay target shooting only, not hunting or recreational shooting. The law does allow us to "practice" on private property in Victoria without restriction on categories of firearm, but it has been shown that CatH is an exception to that rule. I don't know if the same rule applies to a CatC shotgun held purely for competition.

I was joking when I posted the M14 comment. I seem to recall from my firearms coarse that the semi auto shotty’s have a fixed magazine capacity of two shots as well . I could be wrong but .....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2019, 12:39 pm

bigrich wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I was joking when I posted the M14 comment. I seem to recall from my firearms coarse that the semi auto shotty’s have a fixed magazine capacity of two shots as well . I could be wrong but .....

I assumed you were joking, but it's worth making the clarification for anybody finding the thread in the future :-)
The capacity does ring a bell, I have little interest in club shooting so I haven't looked into it in depth.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm

duncan61 wrote:You load 2 shots use them then move and reload just like a trap gun,When I used my Greener I just did not close the action til it was my turn

The firearm has to be visibly seen to be unchambered?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Sep 2019, 3:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’was advised by my local clay club - that by applying for an auto on this basis will negate the “fit” clause of a “fit and proper person...” and then there are the local range club laws that state the breach must be open and clear before walking from station to station...not sure how an auto would comply.

Fit has nothing to do with physical fitness, whoever told you that is an idiot. Fit means a person regarded as fit to hold a firearm licence.

I don’t believe the club was referring to physical fitness...The question I posed was in reference to a permanent injury where a person might not be deemed to be able to hold / utilise a normal O/U 12g...the conversation was along the lines of, if you state you aren’t capable (fit) to utilise a orthodox 12g then the FA may deem you not “fit”to handle and use another model...or any fireArm.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2019, 4:18 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I don’t believe the club was referring to physical fitness...The question I posed was in reference to a permanent injury where a person might not be deemed to be able to hold / utilise a normal O/U 12g...the conversation was along the lines of, if you state you aren’t capable (fit) to utilise a orthodox 12g then the FA may deem you not “fit”to handle and use another model...or any fireArm.

I've heard this as well, and I can't see it myself. I'm strong enough to shoot lots of things hunting and recreationally, but my shoulder would never tolerate me shooting a whole 12ga. competition in one session.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 16 Sep 2019, 7:19 pm

Tassie you worry to much let it go W.A. might as well be 2 countries away from you .The advantage of the new system where it all goes through the post office is you can apply for what ever you wish for I know with club backing I can get a semi 5 shots or less for competition trap/skeet cos other members have done it but it is like handgun licence you have to go straight to the range shortest possible way no stopping at shops etc.There are clubs in the metro area that are super strict and full of experienced/upthemselves superstars or you can go a bit rural where the mood is laidback and everyone has safe fun.I have been known to go to Murray districts for a shot then on to the Farm in Waroona to get me some bl;ack duck and teal,Good day out with a bag of ducks and a bag of empty shotshells its what living is all about.I have a 2007 250 VTR Honda that I have just licensed so guess what the CBC12g will be stuffed in my camo back pack and I will zoom down on the bike.The horror!!!
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Tasmanian gun laws