PTA wait time in NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA wait time in NSW

Post by Lonewolf » 17 Aug 2018, 9:22 pm

Hi guys just wanna to ask how long is it normally take to get a PTA in NSW? I sent out my first PTA application form on 26th of July but still have no confirmation of receipt of my PTA up until now , I have tried to emailed FR NSW and I was told that they are now experiencing process delays, it may have arrived but not receipted. Geez, it will take another 5 weeks after receipts of my application and it is not even officially received.
Lonewolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: PTA wait time in NSW

Post by Rider888 » 18 Aug 2018, 6:20 am

Lonewolf wrote:Hi guys just wanna to ask how long is it normally take to get a PTA in NSW? I sent out my first PTA application form on 26th of July but still have no confirmation of receipt of my PTA up until now , I have tried to emailed FR NSW and I was told that they are now experiencing process delays, it may have arrived but not receipted. Geez, it will take another 5 weeks after receipts of my application and it is not even officially received.

Same here. I submitted end of July and they've taken payment yesterday but not displayed on my portal. I imagine it should be with me by end of month. No rush for me though atm
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 18 Aug 2018, 7:48 am

i lodged my first PTAs with my license application on 29/5 and on the 13/7 my license changed to "Valid" and the application date for the PTAs changed to 13/7. after the 28 day cooling off period on 12/8 the PTA status changed to "Issued" and they were posted the Monday. They should be here this week coming up
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NUTSACK » 18 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm

Its the same when you call them anytime.."We are currently experiencing longer than usual delays"..I'm sure there is only 2 people that work at the Firearms registry at any one time! They do have a message when you call saying that all PTA's are delayed at the moment. It's a joke that we have to put up with this kind of service.
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 18 Aug 2018, 8:16 pm

Current NSW PTA wait time
sent a registered letter to far with 3 pta inside they say it was received on the 12/7
I Had in the mail box the cat:b on the 9/8 and cat h on the 16/8
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lonewolf » 18 Aug 2018, 10:27 pm

They didn’t even take my payment yet, i probably will get my pta posted to me end of September if I am lucky, 2 months for license another 2 months for PTA it’s just crazy.
Lonewolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 18 Aug 2018, 11:27 pm

Spoke with the registry, they are backed up significantly. Licence and PTA applications at record levels, i quote the girl i spoke to here “every person in NSW has just got a licence and is buying a firearm”

Clearly exaggerating, but they have major backlog along with the staff reduction and the failure to implement the online pta system.

Will be a bumpy ride for NSW shooters for a while i think.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Aug 2018, 12:38 am

I asked the girls from Far at Penrith gun show when NSW was going on line she was hopeful before the end of the year "they just have to get the correct model "was the standard reply should have see her face when I asked WHAT year tho
Last edited by pomemax on 24 Aug 2018, 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lonewolf » 23 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

Another week almost gone, still no payments taken from Far. Called them today, girl on the other side replied they are still dealing with applications received up to 31st of July, what a joke!
Lonewolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 23 Aug 2018, 4:26 pm

Yeah i was told last week my PTA had been posted on Monday (should have been here by Friday as all mail from them takes 4 days to be delivered to me) and today they say the printers were broken last week and wasn't seen until Monday this week which means it should be here tomorrow. Not holding my breathe though.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 4:34 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Another week almost gone, still no payments taken from Far. Called them today, girl on the other side replied they are still dealing with applications received up to 31st of July, what a joke!

My PTA was sent in 30 July and received 2nd Aug and it is now showing on my Portal as being processed. Payment taken out last week already
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Aug 2018, 5:14 pm

I must be special....2 High Cal's submitted 1/8 and issued 24/8 so I should see them next week :) Not a word from you Wylie27 or Pommemax...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 5:22 pm

brett1868 wrote:I must be special....2 High Cal's submitted 1/8 and issued 24/8 so I should see them next week :) Not a word from you Wylie27 or Pommemax...

:clap:
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lonewolf » 23 Aug 2018, 9:56 pm

Rider888 wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:Another week almost gone, still no payments taken from Far. Called them today, girl on the other side replied they are still dealing with applications received up to 31st of July, what a joke!

My PTA was sent in 30 July and received 2nd Aug and it is now showing on my Portal as being processed. Payment taken out last week already

What??? My application posted on 26th of July, which is 5 days earlier than yours. Is that because this is my first PTA?
Lonewolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
Rider888 wrote:

What??? My application posted on 26th of July, which is 5 days earlier than yours. Is that because this is my first PTA?

First PTA will always be 28 days minimum then another 5-10 for postage :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lonewolf » 23 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:
Rider888 wrote:

First PTA will always be 28 days minimum then another 5-10 for postage :(

Thanks mate, I am still confused, did you mean 28 days cooling off period before they charge my 30 dollars of processing fee or they charge me 30 dollars before the 28 days cooling off period and start processing?
Lonewolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 24 Aug 2018, 6:41 am

Lonewolf wrote:
Rider888 wrote:

Not sure but possibly. I was waiting almost 8 weeks before my first PTA arrived
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 12 Sep 2018, 2:40 pm

posted off a PTA over 3 weeks ago.....still nothing online :huh:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 12 Sep 2018, 7:35 pm

Had a theory about the long wait times.
The drought has seen a lot of roos, pigs, deer, etc etc come out of the scrub and ont private land.
Many people I’ve talked to have huge roo and pig numbers and have also had deer coming to look for feed.
Maybe there is currently a need for a lot of farmers to update with some new firearms?
I’ve bought a new 22 and a 410 recently. My pta’s took 2 weeks before I saw the payment go through.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NUTSACK » 13 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

Chappo wrote:Had a theory about the long wait times.
The drought has seen a lot of roos, pigs, deer, etc etc come out of the scrub and ont private land.
Many people I’ve talked to have huge roo and pig numbers and have also had deer coming to look for feed.
Maybe there is currently a need for a lot of farmers to update with some new firearms?
I’ve bought a new 22 and a 410 recently. My pta’s took 2 weeks before I saw the payment go through.

I doubt it.
People on the land generally own a rifle, just because there is more of a certain pest doesn't mean they would buy more rifles..A rifle that killed a Pig or Goat last year when there may have been less of them would still kill that animal today..an ammo shortage could be attributed to the scenario you described above but..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 13 Sep 2018, 9:49 pm

Had a mate ring them and asked about the wait time, they said they still haven’t caught up with the influx or registrations from the amnesty.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 14 Sep 2018, 1:41 pm

Jon79 wrote:posted off a PTA over 3 weeks ago.....still nothing online :huh:

Sent mine in end of July and it is now i the mail to me so turn around time is still almost 8 weeks.

Pfffttt whatever. I'm not in a rush to waste money anyway :O
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NUTSACK » 14 Sep 2018, 5:00 pm

MJW380 wrote:Had a mate ring them and asked about the wait time, they said they still haven’t caught up with the influx or registrations from the amnesty.

They would blame the change in wind direction if they could..
NUTSACK
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 14 Sep 2018, 9:22 pm

mine appeared today seems to be back dated to the 10th
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 14 Sep 2018, 9:23 pm

mine appeared today seems to be back dated to the 10th
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by axio » 21 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

Two rumours i've heard so adding some conjecture

1) They sacked a large number of the firearms registry girls

2) New online system is delayed due to budget blowout

Now putting this together - With less staff the budget has more buffer to fund the new system. Meanwhile existing staff are over extended and services are impacted.

So failed IT rollout = poor service and long waits, nothing new here.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 21 Sep 2018, 10:05 pm

Got one back today. 2.5 weeks until my money came out then a further week to come back.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 02 Oct 2018, 5:10 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Spoke with the registry, they are backed up significantly. Licence and PTA applications at record levels, i quote the girl i spoke to here “every person in NSW has just got a licence and is buying a firearm”

Clearly exaggerating, but they have major backlog along with the staff reduction and the failure to implement the online pta system.

Will be a bumpy ride for NSW shooters for a while i think.

"Bumpy ride" implies movement.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Oct 2018, 5:34 pm

Applied Sep 27, issued Oct 4 Cat A/B
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 28 Dec 2022, 5:48 am

I dug up this older thread to comment on my experience.
Yesterday I applied for two Cat A pta's around 4pm and this morning at 6am says they have been sent. That's very quick. I can recall it taking a week during covid peak times. No such problem now.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws