PTA Question (Interstate Acquisition)

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA Question (Interstate Acquisition)

Post by Rider888 » 26 Aug 2018, 7:39 am

If I have a NSW PTA and am in another state and want to buy a firearm, I think my NSW PTA will allow me to do this but can I take the gun home with me or does it have to be "transferred" to a NSW dealer and then I would have to travel back to NSW to collect the gun?

Just thought I'd ask because I might be moving interstate soon but will not be transferring my licence

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: PTA Question (Interstate Acquisition)

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

needs to be transferred to a NSW dealer, where you will do the paperwork for ownership.

As for moving to SA and keeping a NSW licence, i am not sure you can actually do that.. But I wouldnt be able to point you to the correct legislation.

if you have checked with the FAR then all good :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 26 Aug 2018, 8:43 am

You can get a firearm from Vic or Sa as NSW has reciprocal agreement for PTA.
Other states the firearm must pass through local dealer book. Then be transfered to a NSW dealer on their book. Then to you via your PTA.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 26 Aug 2018, 8:54 am

Wylie27 wrote:needs to be transferred to a NSW dealer, where you will do the paperwork for ownership.

As for moving to SA and keeping a NSW licence, i am not sure you can actually do that.. But I wouldnt be able to point you to the correct legislation.

if you have checked with the FAR then all good :)

Yes I believe I am exempt. Fortunately I fall into the Clause 124 section and also, NSW will still be home for me. This move to SA is only temp.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 26 Aug 2018, 8:55 am

southeast varmiter wrote:You can get a firearm from Vic or Sa as NSW has reciprocal agreement for PTA.
Other states the firearm must pass through local dealer book. Then be transfered to a NSW dealer on their book. Then to you via your PTA.

Interesting as this contradicts what Wylie27 has just posted.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

In Queensland i just ring the interstate seller, pay by credit card or bank transfer, and have it posted to my local gun shop and put on their books as the owner. I put in my pta as soon as it’s approved I just go in and pick it up. That’s how my interstate purchases have been working, no hiccups so far
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 26 Aug 2018, 2:51 pm

Also while I'm on the question of interstate purchases, am I going to encounter issues buying Ammo during my time interstate?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

Rider888 wrote:Also while I'm on the question of interstate purchases, am I going to encounter issues buying Ammo during my time interstate?

Shouldn’t be a issue, I’ve bought ammo in nsw and I’m from Queensland, a mate has done it the other way round. If ya liscensed that’s all that matters as far as I know

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws