Transfer of weapon ownership?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Transfer of weapon ownership?

Post by Dogga85 » 29 Aug 2018, 5:13 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or link the form I need to fill out to transfer weapon ownership of my firearm to my father and his license?

All I can seem to find is Form 4E: Application for transfer of weapon(s) (Individual licence holders only—no change of weapons ownership)
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Transfer of weapon ownership?

Post by TheDude » 29 Aug 2018, 5:41 pm

What state you in? In Queensland It would be your father obtaining a permit to acquire. You’d then sign this and hand over the rifle to him for him to take to a licensed dealer to have brokered for a small fee.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm

Dogga85 wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or link the form I need to fill out to transfer weapon ownership of my firearm to my father and his license?

All I can seem to find is Form 4E: Application for transfer of weapon(s) (Individual licence holders only—no change of weapons ownership)

Hi Dogga...i cant help you with the form, but im curious to know what "weapon" you have...?

Sorry to hijack the thread but i just want to take this opportunity while it exists...

To all us firearm owners,Im not trying to be argumentative, but i have a firm belief that if firearms owners stopped using the American terminology when describing our firearms as "weapons" our life could be MUCH easier...

Its only a "weapon" if you're using it as one...which is illegal, not to mention a threating term, particularly to the uneducated.

I believe that in many ways we are our own worst enemy, & using the term "weapon" does us NO favours... we should educate ourselves to use the term "firearm".

We dont go to the range or out hunting with "weapons", we use firearms...just like our 4wd's & spotlights, they are our tools for our hobby &/or trade.

Sorry to be an stickly old hen, i just think its a pertinent point. :) :thumbsup: :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dogga85 » 29 Aug 2018, 5:50 pm

Thanks TheDude! Yep im in QLD

Sorry Stix. I simply copied and pasted from the QLD Police site
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2018, 5:51 pm

Stix wrote:To all us firearm owners,Im not trying to be argumentative, but i have a firm belief that if firearms owners stopped using the American terminology when describing our firearms as "weapons" our life could be MUCH easier...

I'm sure few would argue with you, but Queensland specifically classes firearms as weapons and issues weapons licences, not firearm licences.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 5:53 pm

Dogga85 wrote:Thanks TheDude! Yep im in QLD

Sorry Stix. I simply copied and pasted from the QLD Police site

No need to apologise mate...im not having a crack at you at all...
Thats just a way the govt brainwash us that guns are so bad...

Hope you understand my point. :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

I'm in Victoria. When my father-in-law died I took his rifle and a letter from his estate to my dealer. He ran the permit and that was it.
I also transferred two rifles from another family member when he decided he no longer wished to maintain his licence. I took those rifles with a letter to my dealer who ran the permits and that was sorted as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:To all us firearm owners,Im not trying to be argumentative, but i have a firm belief that if firearms owners stopped using the American terminology when describing our firearms as "weapons" our life could be MUCH easier...

I'm sure few would argue with you, but Queensland specifically classes firearms as weapons and issues weapons licences, not firearm licences.

Yep...again, i wasnt having a crack...just making a valid point...but the fact the govt want to call them weapons doesnt mean we have to...!!

The firearms i own are no more a weapon than the half kilo block of cheese i have in the fridge, so why do i not need licensing for that...? :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Aug 2018, 5:59 pm

Isnt that what a Permit to Acquire is all about?

I transferred a rifle from my brothers licence(NSW) to mine(QLD) about 7 years ago. As far as I recall, it's done in a standard Permit to Acquire, but the brokering has to be done through a licensed dealer(Local gun Shop - They'll charge you a brokerage fee).

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 29 Aug 2018, 6:38 pm

TheDude wrote:What state you in? In Queensland It would be your father obtaining a permit to acquire. You’d then sign this and hand over the rifle to him for him to take to a licensed dealer to have brokered for a small fee.

Do it on-line at this link: - https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... nline/pta/
Very simple and straight forward. Qld WLB has a fairly quick turnaround time now; in fact the slowest part of the process is the snail mail.
The small fee for brokerage is $10 + GST, as prescribed in the Regulations.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 29 Aug 2018, 6:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Almost correct...we do get issued a "Firearms License".under the Weapons Act.
One of the many contradictions in the legislation. I'm with stix it's a firearm!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 29 Aug 2018, 7:20 pm

Your Father needs to do a pta nominating whatever gun dealer you choose to do the transfer as the seller even though the gun is yours, when it comes in you and he go into your dealer with the gun and the dealer signs it off your licence and onto your fathers then you are done.
You can't transfer a firearm without going though a dealer even for a private sale or to give it to a family member.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

As has been said above ya dad gets a pta with your details (not LGS) in the disposers section. When the pta arrives ya both go to the LGS they make sure the paperwork is correct and the firearm is what the paperwork says it is. Then they send off paperwork after charging ya a brokerage fee. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Edited to appease the pedantic mofo's below
(Tongue firmly in cheek and said in jest)
:lol: :friends: :drinks:
Last edited by Daddybang on 30 Aug 2018, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 11:27 am

Daddybang wrote:As has been said above ya dad gets a pta with your details (not LGS) in the disposers section. When the pta arrives ya both go to the LGS they make sure the paperwork is correct and the firearm is in a safe working condition. Then they send off paperwork after charging ya a brokerage fee. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Do you mean you can't transfer a firearm in Qld that is not inspected to be in safe working condition?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:As has been said above ya dad gets a pta with your details (not LGS) in the disposers section. When the pta arrives ya both go to the LGS they make sure the paperwork is correct and the firearm is in a safe working condition. Then they send off paperwork after charging ya a brokerage fee. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Do you mean you can't transfer a firearm in Qld that is not inspected to be in safe working condition?

In theory yes....however it doesn't always happen in practice.
If the licensed dealer believes the firearm is not safe to use or is not properly disabled(needs a cert) then they can block the sale. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 11:54 am

Daddybang wrote:Do you mean you can't transfer a firearm in Qld that is not inspected to be in safe working condition?

If the licensed dealer believes the firearm is not safe to use or is not properly disabled(needs a cert) then they can block the sale. :thumbsup: :drinks:[/quote]

It should be up to the purchaser to decide if they want the firearm inspected to be safely usable. Seems stupid to require a firearm to be safe to use if it's being sold and bought by people that might have no intention of ever using it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 30 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If the licensed dealer believes the firearm is not safe to use or is not properly disabled(needs a cert) then they can block the sale. :thumbsup: :drinks:

I've traded a lot of firearms, over many years, and through many dealers, and NEVER had is suggested that a f/a dealer is supposed to check the safe functionality of the firearm been transferred.
Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the relevant section of the Act or Regulation that pertains to that requirement.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I've traded a lot of firearms, over many years, and through many dealers, and NEVER had is suggested that a f/a dealer is supposed to check the safe functionality of the firearm been transferred.
Perhaps you can point us in the direction of the relevant section of the Act or Regulation that pertains to that requirement.

Actually its info given to me by my LGS who has been trading in firearms for around forty years :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 30 Aug 2018, 12:52 pm

Daddybang wrote:
No1_49er wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Actually its info given to me by my LGS who has been trading in firearms for around forty years :thumbsup: :drinks:

OK, so it's not a legal (legislated) requirement. :unknown:
Just something your LGS has chosen to do, without any actual requirement to do so. :thumbsdown:
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 1:36 pm

Daddybang wrote:Actually its info given to me by my LGS who has been trading in firearms for around forty years :thumbsup: :drinks:

Which means you don't know if it's law or not, t's just what you were told.

I had a guy on FB the other day insisting that the law in Victoria requires a minimum case length of 51mm for deer. Been "hunting for over sixty years" so he knows it for a fact, he just can't direct us to any actual regulation :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Aug 2018, 3:07 pm

As previously stated, the transfer we did just recently was done at the LGS and the dealer I.D. the firearm - checked calibre, make, model, serial No. etc and that was that. Must have the original PTA.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by JSS » 30 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

Daddybang wrote:
JSS wrote:

Your Father needs to do a pta nominating whatever gun dealer you choose to do the transfer as the seller even though the gun is yours, when it comes in you and he go into your dealer with the gun and the dealer signs it off your licence and onto your fathers then you are done.
You can't transfer a firearm without going though a dealer even for a private sale or to give it to a family member.

As has been said above ya dad gets a pta with your details (not LGS) in the disposers section. When the pta arrives ya both go to the LGS they make sure the paperwork is correct and the firearm is what the paperwork says it is. Then they send off paperwork after charging ya a brokerage fee. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Edited to appease the pedantic mofo's below
(Tongue firmly in cheek and said in jest)
:lol: :friends: :drinks:

Sorry for the above misinformation, Daddybang is right, you are the seller not the dealer.
I did it the way i described last time because i bought a pair of pistols privately before i even put the pta in, so we threw them in my dealers name while we waited for it to come though so as not to muck the seller about, then from the dealer back to me once the pta came in.

Again sorry for the stuff up. And well saved Daddybang!! :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws