Clarity around laws on storing powder in Victoria?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Clarity around laws on storing powder in Victoria?

Post by RealNick » 04 Sep 2018, 8:09 pm

Hi guys,

After some clarity on this.

I've always stored my power separately as if it were ammo, but would just like to be clear.

I believe there is nothing in the firearms act about storing power in Victoria.

I'm told it's covered under the Dangerous Goods or Explosives act, but I haven't been able to find the right bit of writing.

Can anyone point me to the actually written word on this?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Clarity around laws on storing powder in Victoria?

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Sep 2018, 8:23 pm

G'day RealNick,
Not in the Act but in Regs. You want to look at "Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011, r.82, Part 5 and read through to r.58, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2018, 9:12 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day RealNick,
Not in the Act but in Regs. You want to look at "Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011, r.82, Part 5 and read through to r.58, Cheers.

But keep in mind that in Victoria Worksafe has no authority to enter a private premises to inspect explosives storage, although a commercial farm might be different.
Queensland they do have authority to inspect private residences, but very rarely do.
It's generally only a problem when somebody has actually lodged a complaint about you, they can act on a complaint.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

Even on a farm work safe cannot enter non commercial areas. This might include your farmhouse.

I have a quadbike and when workcover came the inspector asked me if the bike was owned by the farm or was my private personal property. When I told him I owned it not the farm he moved to other things. But did say that I should consider putting a roll bar on it due to injuries
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Sep 2018, 9:47 pm

Anyway back to powders. I stole them in a locked container just like ammo... same with primers. That is acceptable I am thinking?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2018, 10:52 pm

Ziad wrote:Anyway back to powders. I stole them in a locked container just like ammo... same with primers. That is acceptable I am thinking?

I have powder stored separately from ammo, but more because of the logistics, it's just easier to store things that have similar shape and size together.
Primers in a cabinet, powders in two MTM ammo cases, pistol ammo (.38/.44) in two more, .204 in another, .223 in another, etc. I don't mix anything that can be easily interchanged though to avoid putting the wrong ammo in a firearm - it's really better to store each caliber separately. .22LR has a whole 5-rifle safe to itself though - bolted horizontally to the wall for ease of access. I have been toying with making enough wall space to bolt the MTM cases to the wall as stacking them on top of each other can get painful when I want the one on the bottom.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws