NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by selaga » 10 Dec 2018, 7:18 pm

Does anyone know what "Principal shooting club approval number" for SSAA(NSW) is ?
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 11 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

selaga wrote:Does anyone know what "Principal shooting club approval number" for SSAA(NSW) is ?

Everything you need to use SSAA to support your licence application should have been either emailed to you or sent to you in the mail.
It's a single sheet/page that contains all the information.

But I don't remember seeing that question. What form are you filling out ?
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 11 Dec 2018, 9:22 am

Sadly not.

It is the new online approval trough Service NSW.

I rang the SSAA (NSW) and got the approval number also asked them to publish it on their website.

Other NSW SSAA branches have it on their website like Mudgee, etc.

It is a 9 digit number.

For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Sel
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dontknowitall » 11 Dec 2018, 10:55 am

can anyone tell me if FAR phone is kaput..

it answers..long message with options..push option and get cannot get through after message :crazy: it just disconnects?

drives me crazy
dontknowitall
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 12 Dec 2018, 10:06 am

Yeah I've been hung up on inexplicably a couple of times too, during my 1 1/2hr wait lol

Likely they're just getting swamped with calls...I've had good luck with the last 2 longarms PTAs but Cat H must be a whole nother thing. Waiting since Nov 29 and so sign they've received it yet (online application, my rifle ones took 48hrs)

I suppose with handguns being more inherently evil it's going to drag out huh lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 15 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

I think FAR has finally broken the back of their backlog and it sounds like they are now running at a performance higher than I've ever seen it. Seeing as there is the 28 day cooling off period, i don't think it can get much better than that for a new licence application.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 15 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm

Well that seems about 'normal', JWD...or what was previously normal, anyway...six weeks for me, start to finish, once upon a time lol

Anyway good to hear and here's hoping its getting ironed out now. Had a nice surprise yesterday, my Cat H PTA is now being processed, exactly 2 weeks after online submission....thought it was going to be much longer from what I'd heard.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 19 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm

JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

How does that happen!? Mines at 65 days and still hasn't moved!
GojiraSteve
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Pyroteq » 19 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

Your tax dollars busily at work for you.
Scary thought.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:

Give them a call bud, if your application is in the system and has been listed as "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" for the past 65 days. Then something might be wrong with your application. Loads of applications more recent than yours have been approved now.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

Pyroteq wrote:
selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.

What are you after ?
I normally just call whatever number i can find and let the person on the end deal with transferring me to the right person.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 21 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

JWD40 wrote:
GojiraSteve wrote:

Give them a call bud, if your application is in the system and has been listed as "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" for the past 65 days. Then something might be wrong with your application. Loads of applications more recent than yours have been approved now.

Cheers mate,
I called them today. They couldn't see any problem. Just gave me the standard "high volumes of work" line. :unknown:
GojiraSteve
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Alpha2 » 04 Jan 2019, 8:18 pm

Mines at 41 days still saying “new application - not authorised for firearms” I guess they pick and choose who they approve and when
Alpha2
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 06 Jan 2019, 4:37 pm

Alpha2 wrote:Mines at 41 days still saying “new application - not authorised for firearms” I guess they pick and choose who they approve and when

I'd say it's more like they have a mix of online applications and a mess of paperwork applications. I could dig around to give you a more solid answer about applications entered around 43 days ago, but at this point i'm guessing, and my guess is one of two options, either something is funky with your application and it's slowing it down, or you sent it in as a paper application and it's in a pile of paper chaos. But just my guess at this point.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by simon223 » 06 Jan 2019, 6:17 pm

I rang the firearms registry on Friday about getting application forms and they said everything is online now so they are doing away with the paper trail hopefully it doesn’t take me 3 months to get my licence once I have everything done!
simon223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

I spoke to a Sydney dealer last week who said there is a backlog of something like 900 PTAs atm...so you can imagine licensing would be banked up too
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by poid » 09 Jan 2019, 6:01 pm

I submitted my paper application late November, FAR listed as received on 29 November. It was referred to Service NSW on 29 December, and I got the photo advice yesterday (8 Jan). That's much faster than I expected, especially during the holiday period.

Might just depend on whose desk your app happens to land on?
poid
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws