NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by JWD40 » 30 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm

Wonky wrote:
JWD40 wrote:
Wonky wrote:Yeah that’s right.

Wonky, please come back when you have your licence. To let us know. I could be totally wrong, totally totally wrong, but i have a hunch that you'll receive your licence within the next week or so (if you haven't already). My hunch is a long shot though

Will let you know mate. No joy yet. 3 months down now.

Wonky, i've been doing a fair bit of information gathering, i suspect your status will be upgraded to 'referred to service NSW for issue' within the next 10 days. Give or take a couple. So i'd be guessing, sometime between 5th and 15th of December
Last edited by JWD40 on 03 Dec 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 30 Nov 2018, 6:45 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:How long? Too bloody long.
3 months is total bullsh!t.

They are not taking that long because they are being particularly vigilant in their background checks, more and more it is looking like deliberate bureaucratic bastardry.

What we need is some sort of independent oversight of this.

I can foresee, albeit with my foil hat on, a time when these delays, particularly with renewals, will be used as an excuse for confiscation of legally owned firearms.

The lacy panty brigade say the laws are being watered down and under threat from us FFS.. This is just a misdirection tactic, in my admittedly jaundiced view of all levels of government, to cover the deliberate erosion of the ability of well meaning, law abiding firearms owners to persue their sport or hobby.

Within the last year or two, the process has typically taken 50-60 days, within the last 5-6 months, it's been closer to 90-110 days. This was caused by specific events earlier in the year.

While our firearm laws are extremely restrictive compared to other countries and the process is shrouded in red tape bulls**t, there is actually a lot of evidence suggesting that the policing of firearm laws have been relaxed a fair bit. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, and i'm also not out to defend the FAR. Simply stating my conclusion based on a s**t ton of reading I've been doing in the past few months.

Regardless of what they are deliberately or inadvertently doing... they are still running off a paper based system. Digital and automation would speed thinks up massively. They are working on that, but in typical government fashion, running well past the deadline.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Nov 2018, 7:47 pm

You may well be right.
Regardless, it is getting steadily worse, not better.
Perhaps FAR's institutional incompetence may be almost as responsible as John Edwards.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 30 Nov 2018, 8:00 pm

So what's suddenly gone wrong...just the new head at the top, or what? I thought the force reduction was only relatively recent, but this has been going on months?

I don't think a paper system is any kind of excuse when my licence took 6 weeks from start to finish in 2009.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 30 Nov 2018, 9:55 pm

zhuk wrote:So what's suddenly gone wrong...just the new head at the top, or what? I thought the force reduction was only relatively recent, but this has been going on months?

Gaz pretty much hit the nail on the head. Everything when to s**t with John Edwards, and the fallout hasn't settled yet.

Even the police acknowledged that it was a domestic violence case, not specifically gun violence. But of course, heads need to role, so FAR copped it big time.
I don't think we'll see any improvement until they have fully ported the paper system over to Service NSW's electronic system. That's just my gut feeling.

zhuk wrote:I don't think a paper system is any kind of excuse when my licence took 6 weeks from start to finish in 2009.

The paper system isn't an excuse, it's a reason. And it's not the reason that it's gone to s**t in the past 6 months re:Jonn Edwards.

But it certainly isn't helping things move forward. I've had to wait over 30 days on multiple occasions, simply to receive paperwork that we have to request from them. Something that would be instant if it was a online form. (I dono why we can't just print and send s**t in anyway, but i don't want to encourage that, it might take the focus off going to an online system)

Then on top of that, you wait another 4 days or so for AusPost to send the application back to them. Then FAR put the application in the 'in' tray, and it sits there for another 1-2 weeks. If it were an online form, it would immediately be entered into the system.

There for, going from a paper system to an online system would cut almost 45-50 days out of the process right from the get go.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wonky » 04 Dec 2018, 9:02 am

Your intel was good JW.

My application has gone ‘referred to service nsw’ on 03/12/18. So about 97 days +/-

Doesn’t look like Santa will be procuring my presents from the LGS this year :cry:
Wonky
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

G'day JWD40,
Mate, I was referring to the creeping in of things like appearance clauses being added that saw people with rifles like the Colt M2012 in possession of a quite pricey, legal in every other respect, rifle that is suddenly banned because of it's aesthetics alone, and the banning of harmless things like gelball guns, and the most ridiculous sh!t I've ever seen, nerf guns FFS.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/aust ... -blasters/

Like you, I'm actually in favour of any law that has a logical basis and makes the community safer, background checks that prevent violent(particularly domestic) repeat offenders from access, safe storage, registration etc.
They may be a small embuggerance but I can live with them because they have a basis in fact.
Where I do get frothing mad is stupid kneejerk BS for the sake of virtue signalling by law makers, suppressors, appearance and the suggestion that someone who is safe to own a bolt action will somehow go the full Bryant when allowed a semi-auto.

To be totally honest, it probably is just beurocratic incompetence that is slowing down the system, but when you put it alongside the above, you have to wonder, just a little.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by DJCoopes » 04 Dec 2018, 12:07 pm

is there any way to hand in the form in-person?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Dec 2018, 12:26 pm

I think the bricks and mortar are in Lismore, from memory, so if you lived nearby perhaps.
Long drive from Albury though. :D
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 04 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

112 days and referred to NSW Service thing. Unbelievable.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 04 Dec 2018, 10:08 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:G'day JWD40,
Mate, I was referring to the creeping in of things like appearance clauses being added that saw people with rifles like the Colt M2012 in possession of a quite pricey, legal in every other respect, rifle that is suddenly banned because of it's aesthetics alone, and the banning of harmless things like gelball guns, and the most ridiculous sh!t I've ever seen, nerf guns FFS.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/aust ... -blasters/

Like you, I'm actually in favour of any law that has a logical basis and makes the community safer, background checks that prevent violent(particularly domestic) repeat offenders from access, safe storage, registration etc.
They may be a small embuggerance but I can live with them because they have a basis in fact.
Where I do get frothing mad is stupid kneejerk BS for the sake of virtue signalling by law makers, suppressors, appearance and the suggestion that someone who is safe to own a bolt action will somehow go the full Bryant when allowed a semi-auto.

To be totally honest, it probably is just beurocratic incompetence that is slowing down the system, but when you put it alongside the above, you have to wonder, just a little.

Unfortunately in the matter of government’s efficiency with regard to reducing its subject’s freedom they are very competent. When involved in economic activity,, usually the opposite.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 05 Dec 2018, 6:26 am

JWD40 wrote:
zhuk wrote:So what's suddenly gone wrong...just the new head at the top, or what? I thought the force reduction was only relatively recent, but this has been going on months?

Gaz pretty much hit the nail on the head. Everything when to s**t with John Edwards, and the fallout hasn't settled yet.

Even the police acknowledged that it was a domestic violence case, not specifically gun violence. But of course, heads need to role, so FAR copped it big time.
I don't think we'll see any improvement until they have fully ported the paper system over to Service NSW's electronic system. That's just my gut feeling.

zhuk wrote:I don't think a paper system is any kind of excuse when my licence took 6 weeks from start to finish in 2009.

The paper system isn't an excuse, it's a reason. And it's not the reason that it's gone to s**t in the past 6 months re:Jonn Edwards.

But it certainly isn't helping things move forward. I've had to wait over 30 days on multiple occasions, simply to receive paperwork that we have to request from them. Something that would be instant if it was a online form. (I dono why we can't just print and send s**t in anyway, but i don't want to encourage that, it might take the focus off going to an online system)

Then on top of that, you wait another 4 days or so for AusPost to send the application back to them. Then FAR put the application in the 'in' tray, and it sits there for another 1-2 weeks. If it were an online form, it would immediately be entered into the system.

There for, going from a paper system to an online system would cut almost 45-50 days out of the process right from the get go.

Thanks for the clarification, JWD. Political bulls**t, I can well understand...maybe it doesn't help that the State election is early in the new year and the Libs are crashing and burning electorally in general.

Maybe we'll get to full online status eventually; QLD had lots of teething issues when their system came in IIRC. Although for more complex/non straightforward applications etc I don't know how this is going to be handled by Service NSW...guess I'll find out with my licence renewal next year.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 05 Dec 2018, 6:30 am

DJCoopes wrote:is there any way to hand in the form in-person?

No.

And it's Murwillumbah in any case (about as close as you can get to being almost in QLD lol)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 05 Dec 2018, 6:34 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Where I do get frothing mad is stupid kneejerk BS for the sake of virtue signalling by law makers, suppressors, appearance and the suggestion that someone who is safe to own a bolt action will somehow go the full Bryant when allowed a semi-auto.

Hit the nail on the head there Gaz, look no further than NZ for evidence of the population not running amok with MSSAs lol

But we are not NZ and can never be like them with our history being so completely different (even leaving aside Howard & 22 years of demonisation)

The perfect storm of political fear and bureaucratic incompetence, yes.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Dec 2018, 10:11 am

zhuk wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:is there any way to hand in the form in-person?

No.

And it's Murwillumbah in any case (about as close as you can get to being almost in QLD lol)

Thank you Zhuk. :thumbsup:

Lismore indeed.
At least I got the right end of the state. :lol:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 05 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

zhuk wrote:
Maybe we'll get to full online status eventually; QLD had lots of teething issues when their system came in IIRC. Although for more complex/non straightforward applications etc I don't know how this is going to be handled by Service NSW...guess I'll find out with my licence renewal next year.

Looks like it's getting closer to going online, or even now fully online...
i just noticed a day or so ago that "Apply for a firearms licence" now appears in Service NSW (near PTA applications)

Edit 07-12-2018: I've just received an email confirming the above, that the ServiceNSW online application system is definitely now active.
Last edited by JWD40 on 07 Dec 2018, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 07 Dec 2018, 7:23 am

mickyj wrote:112 days and referred to NSW Service thing. Unbelievable.

s**t! Mines at 53 days and waiting. I guess I be waiting a while yet. :thumbsdown:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 07 Dec 2018, 1:20 pm

I don't know what's happened in the last 2-3 days... but all of a sudden bucket loads of licence applications have been partially approved (referring to Service NSW for issue)

2-3 days ago, only people who had waited 90+ days were getting approved.
All of a sudden, it looks like that pile of paperwork has dropped to a 60 days wait or less.

GojiraSteve wrote:s**t! Mines at 53 days and waiting. I guess I be waiting a while yet. :thumbsdown:

So you may find you only have a 10-15 day wait from here
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 10 Dec 2018, 7:18 pm

Does anyone know what "Principal shooting club approval number" for SSAA(NSW) is ?
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 11 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

selaga wrote:Does anyone know what "Principal shooting club approval number" for SSAA(NSW) is ?

Everything you need to use SSAA to support your licence application should have been either emailed to you or sent to you in the mail.
It's a single sheet/page that contains all the information.

But I don't remember seeing that question. What form are you filling out ?
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 11 Dec 2018, 9:22 am

Sadly not.

It is the new online approval trough Service NSW.

I rang the SSAA (NSW) and got the approval number also asked them to publish it on their website.

Other NSW SSAA branches have it on their website like Mudgee, etc.

It is a 9 digit number.

For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Sel
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dontknowitall » 11 Dec 2018, 10:55 am

can anyone tell me if FAR phone is kaput..

it answers..long message with options..push option and get cannot get through after message :crazy: it just disconnects?

drives me crazy
dontknowitall
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 12 Dec 2018, 10:06 am

Yeah I've been hung up on inexplicably a couple of times too, during my 1 1/2hr wait lol

Likely they're just getting swamped with calls...I've had good luck with the last 2 longarms PTAs but Cat H must be a whole nother thing. Waiting since Nov 29 and so sign they've received it yet (online application, my rifle ones took 48hrs)

I suppose with handguns being more inherently evil it's going to drag out huh lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 15 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

I think FAR has finally broken the back of their backlog and it sounds like they are now running at a performance higher than I've ever seen it. Seeing as there is the 28 day cooling off period, i don't think it can get much better than that for a new licence application.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 15 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm

Well that seems about 'normal', JWD...or what was previously normal, anyway...six weeks for me, start to finish, once upon a time lol

Anyway good to hear and here's hoping its getting ironed out now. Had a nice surprise yesterday, my Cat H PTA is now being processed, exactly 2 weeks after online submission....thought it was going to be much longer from what I'd heard.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 19 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm

JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

How does that happen!? Mines at 65 days and still hasn't moved!
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pyroteq » 19 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

Your tax dollars busily at work for you.
Scary thought.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:

Give them a call bud, if your application is in the system and has been listed as "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" for the past 65 days. Then something might be wrong with your application. Loads of applications more recent than yours have been approved now.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

Pyroteq wrote:
selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.

What are you after ?
I normally just call whatever number i can find and let the person on the end deal with transferring me to the right person.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws