NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by lionet » 17 Feb 2019, 11:09 am

GojiraSteve wrote:
Mr48Volts wrote:Nice one, you and Lionet give me hope, I’m at 111 Days and mine was lodged at the end of October so I’ve got my fingers crossed it will be soon. Be interesting to see how long your paperwork and photo license takes.

Cheers,
It's out of FAR's hands now so should only be subject to "normal" Government turnaround times That said, since Service NSW came into being I've been consistently impressed with their efficiency as compared to the departments they replaced. I'm betting I'll have the photo advice by the end of the week, and the physical licence well before I can get a PTA approved.

I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?
Experience of Service NSW is the very opposite of FAR. Went with my photo advice on a Friday afternoon with a service centre full of people and my waiting time was < 5 minutes. Bodes me well on their efficiency. My card should arrive next week. Then it's a-shopping time :)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

lionet wrote:I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?
Experience of Service NSW is the very opposite of FAR. Went with my photo advice on a Friday afternoon with a service centre full of people and my waiting time was < 5 minutes. Bodes me well on their efficiency. My card should arrive next week. Then it's a-shopping time :)

Well, I don't know for sure, but I had assumed that as soon as you pay your money and have your photo taken SNSW will advise FAR that the licence has been "issued" and from there you can lodge an online PTA application. No need to wait for the physical card to arrive in the mail.
For sure you'll need the card when your in the store wanting to handle potential purchases or to take any purchases home. But the online PTA app should only require a valid licence number right?
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 17 Feb 2019, 11:37 am

Oh, Lionet, in case you didn't know, the application number you used to login and check the status of you application on the FAR site becomes your licence number once it's issued so you don't need the card to get the number.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 17 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Oh, Lionet, in case you didn't know, the application number you used to login and check the status of you application on the FAR site becomes your licence number once it's issued so you don't need the card to get the number.

Well I think you're right Steve. But there's a statement here:

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/permit_to_acquire_a_firearm/frequently_asked_questions#pta8

Under [What requirements must be met to obtain a PTA?] it said
DO NOT apply for a PTA until your firearms licence has been issued and you've received your photo licence card from Service NSW/RMS.
so there's that. But I do understand what you mean. From a software system design point of view (I'm a programmer in my daily life), I think the moment you're considered to have your card issued is: when you check your license status online, it comes from [New Application referred to Service NSW for Issue - Not authorised for Firearms] to [Valid]. That's what I would consider the earliest possible moment one is allow to start the PTA application, saving a few days when the card is on it's way in mail.

But who knows, the government works in mysterious ways. I'll stick by the description of their web site, just to stay on their happy side.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 18 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

Hi guys, big congratulations!

I think you need to wait for your physical licence before applying for a PTA no?

I've recently got my licence approved (NSW) and when getting my first PTA lodged, as you would know everyone will refer you to use the ServiceNSW site (you might be able to lodge a paper one still as I read somewhere they would accept paper-based apps for 6 months).

When applying on ServiceNSW, you've got to supply your licence number and immediately it will attempt to validate it (no need to actually submit the application).

For me, it didn't allow me to submit my PTA application until my status was "VALID".

So what'd be the average time from this to NSW Service to send me a photo notice?

For me, my status changed on Saturday morning and I received the photo advice in the mail the following Friday (Sydney metro).

I found 6 working days about the normal time it takes to receive letters from FAR.

Be interested to see how long your physical lic takes to come through after you take your picture at the RMS.

This was quicker than it took for the FAR letters to come through.

It is sent from PARKES and took about 5 calendar days. Photo taken on Saturday morning, photo licence received Wednesday.

I assumed the FAR online status would change before I received the photo licence ... so I was keeping an eye on that ... I had rung the FAR to ask about submitting a PTA and they warned me that I wouldn't be able to submit a PTA until all computers are sync'd.

I received my photo licence on Wednesday but my status didn't change to "VALID" until Saturday morning.

On that Saturday, I tried submitting PTAs and ServiceNSW didn't allow me saying my licence number was invalid or something.

The following day, (Sunday) however everything was sync'd and I submitted my first PTA.

So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
  • +5 days receive photo licence
  • +3 days for online status to change to "VALID"
  • +1 day to allow computers to sync and allow PTA to be submitted

Good luck guys! Getting there .. :drinks:

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Feb 2019, 9:53 am

rookie wrote:I received my photo licence on Wednesday but my status didn't change to "VALID" until Saturday morning.

Cheers,
Mick

Well then... I guess that scuppers my plan to get the jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time goes...

Ah well, i spose if nothing else this sport teaches you patience...
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 18 Feb 2019, 12:47 pm

jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time

I tried going to ServiceNSW and showing them on my phone that my status changed to "Referred to ServiceNSW" and seeing if I could get the photo taken based on that.

The guy said no and that he needed the paper notice.

What I found incredible was when I did get my photo taken they said I could just use the existing photo on my drivers licence ....

So what's the point of going to ServiceNSW in-person?? Could have paid online and have the photo licence sent instead of the photo advice ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Feb 2019, 1:31 pm

rookie wrote:
jump on the postie as far as minimising PTA wait time

I tried going to ServiceNSW and showing them on my phone that my status changed to "Referred to ServiceNSW" and seeing if I could get the photo taken based on that.

The guy said no and that he needed the paper notice.

What I found incredible was when I did get my photo taken they said I could just use the existing photo on my drivers licence ....

So what's the point of going to ServiceNSW in-person?? Could have paid online and have the photo licence sent instead of the photo advice ..

Wait so the photo advice gets issued by FAR not SNSW? I had assumed FAR electronically sent a request to SNSW to issue the photo advice and they took it from there. If FAR still have their fingers in the transaction (outside of just updating the status to valid) I'll DEFINITELY stop holding my breath :silent:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 18 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo

Good luck guys! Getting there .. :drinks:

Cheers,
Mick

Thanks Mick good to know :)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Feb 2019, 9:49 pm

Hey good luck Mr48Volts - the other two getting their licence progressed does sound like yours is just around the corner :thumbsup:

One of my mates just started the process all online. He lodged application 4 Feb 2019. Got acknowledgement letter dated 14 Feb 2019 (received yesterday 20 Feb 2019).

To keep a tally - from date of online application:
+10 days - Acknowledgement
+6 days - Receive acknowledgement letter
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 21 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

rookie wrote:Hey good luck Mr48Volts - the other two getting their licence progressed does sound like yours is just around the corner :thumbsup:

One of my mates just started the process all online. He lodged application 4 Feb 2019. Got acknowledgement letter dated 14 Feb 2019 (received yesterday 20 Feb 2019).

To keep a tally - from date of online application:
+10 days - Acknowledgement
+6 days - Receive acknowledgement letter

Thanks Rookie, I'm starting to think I should have just applied online in December, it would have been much quicker. Based on the other 2 lads, they were approved exactly 4 months to the days they had official lodgement Oct 12/Feb12 and Oct 15th/Feb15, mine was lodged Oct 29, so seeing as there is no Feb 29 this year, you'd think based on that I might be lucky on March 1st (next Friday), knowing my luck so far, I bet it doesn't I'm at 115 days today... It will be very interesting to see how quick your mates goes through
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 21 Feb 2019, 2:00 pm

Dec 13 / N/A so far. Just hit 70 days and I suppose I'll be waiting a bit longer, but it'll come eventually. Glad to hear boys are starting to get theirs. The wait is pretty hard. I could definitely see people just falling away from the sport because of how hard it is to get into it.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 23 Feb 2019, 8:23 am

115 days refer to service NSW!!!!!!! Yes :)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 23 Feb 2019, 12:28 pm

Congrats man!
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 24 Feb 2019, 1:40 am

Great stuff Mr48Volts! That’s one long wait!

Interesting that the last 4 got that advice on a Saturday morning.. looks like the servers only update “referred to servicensw” overnight on fridays
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 24 Feb 2019, 8:35 am

Got a mate whose application date is 20th November 2018 and is still waiting. Hasn't received his refer to RTA letter yet or anything. he spoke to them 3 days ago and still gets the generic overload of applications and to check status online rather than ring them which just says new application in progress not authorised for firearms same as it has said for 3 months now..
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 25 Feb 2019, 9:52 am

2freeq wrote:Got a mate whose application date is 20th November 2018 and is still waiting. Hasn't received his refer to RTA letter yet or anything. he spoke to them 3 days ago and still gets the generic overload of applications and to check status online rather than ring them which just says new application in progress not authorised for firearms same as it has said for 3 months now..

If his went in as a paper application like a few of us, I'd say he's got another month to wait at least, as we've all waited 4 months and been told the same story.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 26 Feb 2019, 1:55 pm

rookie wrote:So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
Cheers,
Mick

You're batting 1000 so far Mick. My photo advice arrived yesterday (6 days later as predicted)
Done the thing at the RTA this morning so it looks like 8 or so more days before everything's fully in place.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 26 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
rookie wrote:So from when getting "Referred to ServiceNSW" it was:
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
Cheers,
Mick

You're batting 1000 so far Mick. My photo advice arrived yesterday (6 days later as predicted)
Done the thing at the RTA this morning so it looks like 8 or so more days before everything's fully in place.

I'm curious, did they give you a document or anything to serve as your license while you wait for your actual card? Some people say they do, some don't.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 26 Feb 2019, 10:02 pm

Zeju wrote:I'm curious, did they give you a document or anything to serve as your license while you wait for your actual card? Some people say they do, some don't.

Nope. Nothin' but a "should be in you mailbox in 5 to 10 working days".
Given the registry website still says "not authorised for firearms" (mind you it has only been about 5hrs since I had the photo advice processed) I'm guessing I'm still in P650 territory til the card comes in.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 27 Feb 2019, 8:45 am

Thanks GojiraSteve,

GojiraSteve wrote:You're batting 1000 so far Mick. My photo advice arrived yesterday (6 days later as predicted)

Good to hear you blokes are progressing and FAR sound like they're getting on top of things :thumbsup: - makes it easier when you sorta know the more realistic waiting times.

It's a good feeling once you get the photo licence (5 more days 8-)) regardless of how long they make you wait for the servers to sync up afterwards ...

You can shoulder rifles at the gun store and can always hire a gun at the shooting range and get your skills up during the wait for the PTAs to come through, so it's not a bad wait.
  • At Cecil Park (SISC) you had to do a "Try and Shoot $$$" and couldn't just do a P650 with a licensed friend
  • At Silverdale, you could go with a licensed mate and shoot with just a P650
Just updating the cheat sheet - this being for (let's say) "Sydney Metro":

When status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW":
  • +6 days to get notice
  • +1 day photo
Submit new PTA
  • +30 days for first PTAs to be approved (Cat A and B) - I hear Cat H can be 6 weeks
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail :unknown:

I'm up to the last step ... waiting :shock:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 01 Mar 2019, 12:47 pm

+5 days for the letter to show, waiting with 9000 other folks at the RMS now to do the photo. Friday’s at the RMS, more popular than cheap steak night at the local ;)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 02 Mar 2019, 9:51 am

Mr48Volts wrote:+5 days for the letter to show, waiting with 9000 other folks at the RMS now to do the photo. Friday’s at the RMS, more popular than cheap steak night at the local ;)

On ya mate, did mine Tuesday, FAR marked it as Valid yesterday. Still waiting on the card though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pyroteq » 02 Mar 2019, 9:21 pm

Definitely some good predictions here...

Along with some of you newbies, my licence now shows as VALID on the Police NSW application checking website after getting my photo taken at Service NSW on Tuesday, but I still haven't received my card in the mail.

Like someone else my status changed to VALID on Saturday morning and I had checked on Friday night around 2am, so clearly it seems they just run a weekly batch job that pushes this out to all their systems, probably runs at 3am or something like that.

Still can't apply for the PTA yet, guessing that'll be another script that runs every night or something and pushes THOSE status changes to Service NSW system.

I can't speak for Service NSW and the FAR, but if it's anything like other government departments which I'm fairly well acquainted with they're using old as s**t technology with hundreds of band-aids attached to try and keep it all functioning with their newer systems.

As for a safe, I'm still in the market for one but I assume I can't get an inspection until I actually have a firearm registered in my name so I'll have a month to find a decent deal or just save up for one from my LGS before my PTA finally clears.

EDIT - Systems are in sync 1am Sunday, so whoever said next day for computers to sync is correct. Looks like the FAR batch job goes out Saturday morning like 3AM or something, then Service NSW gets your status from a batch job that runs around midnight or something the next night.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 05 Mar 2019, 11:06 am

OK lads .. PTAs came through yesterday .. making our estimates:
For Sydney Metro - Cat A and B application instructions and waiting time benchmarks:

Apply online for new application via ServiceNSW (approx 6 weeks):
  • Register online for a ServiceNSW account, link to NSW Police and apply for Firearms licence
  • +10 days for FAR to receive application from ServiceNSW and to acknowledge the application *** See below
  • . . . . . . . . 28 day waiting period starts from this acknowledgement date
  • +6 days to receive acknowledgement letter from FAR and be advised of your Licence number
  • . . . . . . . . You can use this Licence number to track FAR progress (status) of your application now at:
  • . . . . . . . . https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp
  • +22 days (of the 28 days) waiting period remaining - do some P650 shoots while you wait
  • +7 days to allow FAR to process the application and for your online status to change
  • . . . . . . . . this is typically early the following Saturday morning (3am?) after your 28 days expires
  • . . . . . . . . check that your online status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW"
  • . . . . . . . . Your licence will be issued from this date
  • . . . . . . . . Licence will last the number of years you applied for + 3 months (grace period for renewing)

Getting Photo licence after online FAR status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW": (approx 2 weeks)
  • +6 days to get paper notice from FAR (Murwillumbah)
  • +1 day to get to a ServiceNSW to have photo taken
  • +5 days receive photo licence from ServiceNSW (Parkes)
  • . . . . . . . . FAR online status will change to "VALID" early (3am?) on the next Saturday morning after photo is taken
  • +1 day to allow FAR/ServiceNSW computers to sync (early Sunday morning) and allow PTA to be submitted

Submit new PTA (approx 5 to 6 weeks for first PTAs):
  • +30 days for first PTAs to be approved (Cat A and B) - I hear Cat H can be 6 weeks
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail

So advice for new applicants:
  • After submitting your online application (except for an emailed receipt) you will not receive any further communication until you receive your acknowledgement letter ... this limbo / waiting time is the worst .. if you don't receive the letter in 2-3 weeks, call the NSW Firearms Registry (FAR) if you like but be prepared to wait over 30 mins on-hold
  • After the 28 day waiting period expires, there's probably no need to constantly check if your application has been "Referred to ServiceNSW" - just check the Saturday morning after your 28 day waiting period expires
  • Submit your new application early in the week (on a Saturday to Monday), so when your 28 day waiting finishes, it gives the FAR the rest of the week to process the application and get it into the next overnight Friday/Saturday server update batch

***The 10 day acknowledgement time comes from the experience of the only guy I know going through a fresh application. He had some original issue with creating his ServiceNSW account (different / shorter name appears on his licence) and that needed to be sorted. Even though he did this before submitting the application, it may have caused this time to be longer than usual :unknown:

Congrats all and happy shooting :friends:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 06 Mar 2019, 7:49 pm

rookie wrote:OK lads .. PTAs came through yesterday .. making our estimates:
For Sydney Metro - Cat A and B application instructions and waiting time benchmarks:

Apply online for new application via ServiceNSW (approx 6 weeks):
  • Register online for a ServiceNSW account, link to NSW Police and apply for Firearms licence
  • +10 days for FAR to receive application from ServiceNSW and to acknowledge the application *** See below
  • . . . . . . . . 28 day waiting period starts from this acknowledgement date
  • +6 days to receive acknowledgement letter from FAR and be advised of your Licence number
  • . . . . . . . . You can use this Licence number to track FAR progress (status) of your application now at:
  • . . . . . . . . https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp
  • +22 days (of the 28 days) waiting period remaining - do some P650 shoots while you wait
  • +7 days to allow FAR to process the application and for your online status to change
  • . . . . . . . . this is typically early the following Saturday morning (3am?) after your 28 days expires
  • . . . . . . . . check that your online status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW"
  • . . . . . . . . Your licence will be issued from this date
  • . . . . . . . . Licence will last the number of years you applied for + 3 months (grace period for renewing)

Getting Photo licence after online FAR status changes to "Referred to ServiceNSW": (approx 2 weeks)
  • +6 days to get paper notice from FAR (Murwillumbah)
  • +1 day to get to a ServiceNSW to have photo taken
  • +5 days receive photo licence from ServiceNSW (Parkes)
  • . . . . . . . . FAR online status will change to "VALID" early (3am?) on the next Saturday morning after photo is taken
  • +1 day to allow FAR/ServiceNSW computers to sync (early Sunday morning) and allow PTA to be submitted

Submit new PTA (approx 5 to 6 weeks for first PTAs):
  • +6 days to receive PTAs in the mail

So advice for new applicants:
  • After submitting your online application (except for an emailed receipt) you will not receive any further communication until you receive your acknowledgement letter ... this limbo / waiting time is the worst .. if you don't receive the letter in 2-3 weeks, call the NSW Firearms Registry (FAR) if you like but be prepared to wait over 30 mins on-hold
  • After the 28 day waiting period expires, there's probably no need to constantly check if your application has been "Referred to ServiceNSW" - just check the Saturday morning after your 28 day waiting period expires
  • Submit your new application early in the week (on a Saturday to Monday), so when your 28 day waiting finishes, it gives the FAR the rest of the week to process the application and get it into the next overnight Friday/Saturday server update batch

***The 10 day acknowledgement time comes from the experience of the only guy I know going through a fresh application. He had some original issue with creating his ServiceNSW account (different / shorter name appears on his licence) and that needed to be sorted. Even though he did this before submitting the application, it may have caused this time to be longer than usual :unknown:

Congrats all and happy shooting :friends:

I’ve work Rookie, I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday. I’ll hopefully get my PTA’s in on Sun or Mon then the final wait happens.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 07 Mar 2019, 10:22 am

Mr48Volts- I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday

Getting there Mr48Volts! good to hear it :thumbsup: - hopefully you've got it already and you can do a shoot with no P650 this weekend 8-)
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 07 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm

rookie wrote:
Mr48Volts- I’m expecting my lic delivery Tom or Friday

Getting there Mr48Volts! good to hear it :thumbsup: - hopefully you've got it already and you can do a shoot with no P650 this weekend 8-)

It just showed up, now we wait for computers to sync, off to a mates property this weekend to put a bunch of hours on my new Quad bike :-) hopefully I should be able to lodge my PTA's across the weekend.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 08 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

If the license updates are sent out at 3AM Saturday morning, I wonder if anyone is getting nervous / excited now that we have a rough idea of when they might get some news.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 08 Mar 2019, 3:33 pm

Zeju wrote:If the license updates are sent out at 3AM Saturday morning, I wonder if anyone is getting nervous / excited now that we have a rough idea of when they might get some news.

Given that my physical card has arrived. I'm just excited to be heading out to Holroyd range tonight to get behind a rifle for the first time in 9 years!!! :clap:

Less exciting is the fact that I'm back to talking myself out of checking the damn registry website every day. Only now its the phrase "PTA Application being processed by Firearms Registry" that I'm hoping will miraculously change. (even though I know full well its going nowhere for at least another three weeks) :unknown:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws