NSW PTA under current amnesty

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW PTA under current amnesty

Post by mickyj » 25 Sep 2018, 9:34 pm

HI all,

have applied for my NSW AB licence. Still waiting for it to be approved up to 42 days now. Anyway I handed some guns over to the gun dealer now in storage under the amnesty. I want to acquire those guns under the current amnesty.
As I understand it, I can’t put in my PTA forms until my licence has been approved right? The thing is the amnesty runs out at the end of the month. What should I do? The guns have been documented/ recorded by the gun dealer.

Cheers
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW PTA under current amnesty

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2018, 10:03 pm

mickyj wrote:HI all,

have applied for my NSW AB licence. Still waiting for it to be approved up to 42 days now. Anyway I handed some guns over to the gun dealer now in storage under the amnesty. I want to acquire those guns under the current amnesty.
As I understand it, I can’t put in my PTA forms until my licence has been approved right? The thing is the amnesty runs out at the end of the month. What should I do? The guns have been documented/ recorded by the gun dealer.

Cheers

I don't know about NSW, but in Victoria we put it in the PtA's with the licence application so they both come back together.
I would think once the firearms are on the dealer's register they're okay to be registered?
Have you asked the dealer?
You could always have a mate licence them now and then transfer them to you later on.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 26 Sep 2018, 10:42 am

In NSW they wont process and start the cooling off period of a PTA until your license shows "Valid" on their systems. My guess would be speak to gun dealer and ask their advice.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 26 Sep 2018, 10:52 am

Agree with everyone else, I would ask the dealer. Odds are you'll be fine, hopefully the dealer will just agree to store them for a while until the paperwork comes through (and possibly will charge you something for the storage).
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 26 Sep 2018, 11:33 am

Most dealer will Store them for a small fee but I would think the dealer will look after you .
Its called goodwill he knows your going to spend heaps with him in the next few months /years
The amnesty was to get firearms on the books somewhere not to stop people owning them, once they are on the books your ok till you get a licence and then a pta. the dealer should have them in his books so there is a record of them .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 28 Sep 2018, 9:54 pm

thanks fellas - spoke to the dealer and they seemed to think it would be fine.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws