VIC legal, NSW prohibited "crossing the border"

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

VIC legal, NSW prohibited "crossing the border"

Post by Crankycant » 03 Oct 2018, 10:58 pm

Hi all,
Just for interest sake does anyone know if I own a Victorian legal firearm such as a folding stock,military appearance etc and cross the border into nsw for recreational hunting purposes as I do because live in a border town, is my firearm deemed prohibited because NSW prohibits the ownership of such a firearm. Can it be removed from me the owner that is legally allowed to posses it in Victoria, do the states have some sort of mutual understanding an I abide by my states laws were I hold my firearms licence. Any insight on this manner would be greatly appreciated.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: VIC legal, NSW prohibited "crossing the border"

Post by straightshooter » 04 Oct 2018, 7:49 am

I think deep down you are well aware of the answer.
Consider the worst possible circumstance, if you were caught in possession of a prohibited firearm in NSW how much sympathy do you think saying 'it's legal in Mexico' would generate.
To be caught in possession you would have had to come to the attention of police for something so you may have to deal with multiple charges.
Guess what would happen to the prohibited firearm.
However, it may be feasible to obtain a commissioner's permit if you are adept at dealing with bureaucracy.
The risks are such that you should seek legal advice and not be influenced by the rantings of a potential idiot (like me) on a forum.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 04 Oct 2018, 7:52 am

If its prohibited in NSW the second ya cross the border ya in breach and will loose not only the rifle but I.believe ya license and other firearms as well. :unknown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Oct 2018, 10:11 am

As Daddybang states. When crossing borders, firearms must comply with that states rules and regulations and that also includes storage, carry/transport, and ammo as well...Not to sure about "other firearms as well" if they are stored in another state, but wouldn't surprise met...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 04 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

OK thanks for the info. I figured as as much, but just wanted to be on the right side of the law. Might be better off just utilizing conventional rifles instead which don't I don't mind as not a willing risk taker when comes to firearms.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Oct 2018, 11:07 am

RoginaJack wrote:.Not to sure about "other firearms as well" if they are stored in another state, but wouldn't surprise met...

Yeah I'm not a hundred percent certain but working on the theory that if you've been charged/found guilty in one state then you've committed a "firearms offence" which would mean you lose your license in ya home state?
:unknown:
:drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2018, 11:18 am

Crankycant wrote:Hi all,
Just for interest sake does anyone know if I own a Victorian legal firearm such as a folding stock,military appearance etc and cross the border into nsw for recreational hunting purposes as I do because live in a border town, is my firearm deemed prohibited because NSW prohibits the ownership of such a firearm. Can it be removed from me the owner that is legally allowed to posses it in Victoria, do the states have some sort of mutual understanding an I abide by my states laws were I hold my firearms licence. Any insight on this manner would be greatly appreciated.

Nope. Firearms must be legal in the state you have them in.
I don't know if a confiscated firearm would be returned to you after breaking the law with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2018, 11:21 am

RoginaJack wrote:As Daddybang states. When crossing borders, firearms must comply with that states rules and regulations and that also includes storage, carry/transport, and ammo as well...Not to sure about "other firearms as well" if they are stored in another state, but wouldn't surprise met...

Probably not storage as that only applies at you normal place of storage, which is likely to be in your home state.
I know that you cannot have your normal storage in Vic if you aren't resident here - I don't know about other states.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 04 Oct 2018, 11:24 am

Daddybang I am also understand that same impression. Which delves me deeper into the unknown as I I know of someone a couple of years ago that was in breach of NSW firearms laws in regards to safe storage and had to hand in his licence and firearms to the police station a mere 8 months later moved to Victoria and successfully obtained a firearms licence with no hiccups. I don't understand the system sometimes I think it's designed with very little transparency.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 04 Oct 2018, 11:27 am

I second that bladeracer I don't think that a firearm would be returned either,
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2018, 11:41 am

Crankycant wrote:I second that bladeracer I don't think that a firearm would be returned either,

But it is a handy excuse to buy more rifles as I need NSW-legal ones to be able to hunt interstate :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 04 Oct 2018, 1:25 pm

Do you think the LRD would humor that if I put it on my next PTA.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2018, 1:37 pm

Crankycant wrote:Do you think the LRD would humor that if I put it on my next PTA.

When I bought my sixteenth CatB rifle I had to write a letter to them explaining why I enjoy owning and shooting lots of different firearms.
I did include the need to use different firearms in different states as part of that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 04 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

16 cat b firearms I would never get bored, they obviously accepted that letter that you sent. I would suppose you'd have rimfires at your disposal as well.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2018, 7:50 pm

Crankycant wrote:16 cat b firearms I would never get bored, they obviously accepted that letter that you sent. I would suppose you'd have rimfires at your disposal as well.

I think it went well as they approved the five PtA's they were sitting on and the import permit to bring two in from overseas.
Yep, I think I have seven or maybe eight .22's currently.

I did a big tidy up of my safes last week while I was taking photos of my milsurps, and cleaned and oiled many of them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 Oct 2018, 8:39 pm

I have been on the wrong side of the law a few times and once recently.I had already worked out who was getting what of the 3 centrefire rifles that were seized before the court case dont know about other states but here it goes like this
.If a destruction order is applied for you can fight it in court if you lose you have a time period to dispose of the firearms to who you choose/can find
.The police can not keep your property because they feel like it.We all have to work to the law
.The police can make you jump through hoops but ultimately wish to have closure on the matter
.If caught away from home with something that is not state compliant it could open a can of worms that will get all states the same like plumbing and electrical national code
.The outcome of being discovered with a non compliant firearm across the border would possibly mean you would have to prove your safe storage in your state and the police would freight the firearm to your local police for you to pick up
.If the police charge you go to court and deal with it
.Under no circumstances will you loose the firearms in the safe at home that are not part of the charge.Police do not have the power to enter private property unless they have a court order and again you can fight it.I have stayed on topic and feel ready to share the truth of what I have done but will open another post
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 06 Oct 2018, 12:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Crankycant wrote:Do you think the LRD would humor that if I put it on my next PTA.

When I bought my sixteenth CatB rifle I had to write a letter to them explaining why I enjoy owning and shooting lots of different firearms.
I did include the need to use different firearms in different states as part of that.

I own 17 Cat a/bs and FAR has never asked me to verify a "need" for them. In fact I sent off another PTA not long ago on the offchance I will be buying another (though if I do get it, its for a mate and will be transferring asap)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

zhuk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I own 17 Cat a/bs and FAR has never asked me to verify a "need" for them. In fact I sent off another PTA not long ago on the offchance I will be buying another (though if I do get it, its for a mate and will be transferring asap)

CatA is not relevant, they don't care how many CatA's we own.
This is only a problem with CatB firearms. CatC and D are already limited in numbers.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Oct 2018, 5:28 pm

I think you'r missed the point BLADERACER, If the state your visiting, requires your firearm to be fitted with a trigger lock while being carried in a vehicle so be it.
Also, if your state permits a wooden box while travelling and the visiting state specifies metal box/case, must comply and this also includes ammo, bolt and mag in or out of firearm.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

RoginaJack wrote:I think you'r missed the point BLADERACER, If the state your visiting, requires your firearm to be fitted with a trigger lock while being carried in a vehicle so be it.
Also, if your state permits a wooden box while travelling and the visiting state specifies metal box/case, must comply and this also includes ammo, bolt and mag in or out of firearm.

No, I didn't miss the point of your post, just clarifying that "storage" requirements don't apply while you are travelling.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws