How many guns can you acquire at once via PTA in NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

How many guns can you acquire at once via PTA in NSW

Post by mickyj » 09 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

Is there a limit to how many PTA s you can submit at once in NSW?

Cheers
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: How many guns can you acquire at once via PTA in NSW

Post by dpskipper » 10 Oct 2018, 8:57 am

I think its one firearm per PTA... hence Permit To Acquire....
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 10 Oct 2018, 9:31 am

I have a feeling that OP is asking if he can submit multiple applications for multiple rifles :D given that each PTA is for one specific firearm.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 10 Oct 2018, 9:40 am

No1_49er wrote:I have a feeling that OP is asking if he can submit multiple applications for multiple rifles :D given that each PTA is for one specific firearm.

oh lol i didnt read it right...

I think if each PTA you submit is kosher with the correct genuine requirement attached they should be processed fine i guess
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 10 Oct 2018, 11:52 am

As far as I'm aware there is no limit applied to simultaneous PTA applications.

If you put in a bucket load all at once I suppose they might ask some questions - maybe increase likelihood of getting an inspection - but I'm just speculating here and even if that happens it's no big deal.

I think in the first year I had my licence I put in five, including two simultaneously, and all were processed as normal (meaning, late and slow, but that's normal)
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 10 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

First year I put in 14 its not like Victoria or SA justify each and every gun , here NSW you have justification you have a licence you don,t need a genuine reason for each firearm like Archie said a bucket full will flag you to you local firearms officer but normally NP I have submitted 5 at a time
Last edited by pomemax on 10 Oct 2018, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm

pomemax wrote:First year I put in 14 its not like Victoria or SA justify each and every gun , here NSW you have justification you have a licence you don,t need a genuine reason for each firearm like Archie said a bucket full will fag you to you local firearms officer but normally NP I have submitted 5 at a time

Do we have to justify every firearm here in Victoria? That's news to me. I had to justify why I wanted more than fifteen Cat B firearms, but I haven't had to justify anything else.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Oct 2018, 1:20 pm

It's always seemed rather darkly amusing to me that the gun-grabbers "National" Firearms Agreement is so ludicrously convoluted from state to state.
Bloody politicians couldn't organize a gobbie in a whorehouse, yet we are the ones who get penalized for any slip ups while navigating the pigs breakfast they've made of it.
Typical.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 10 Oct 2018, 10:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
pomemax wrote:First year I put in 14 its not like Victoria or SA justify each and every gun , here NSW you have justification you have a licence you don,t need a genuine reason for each firearm like Archie said a bucket full will fag you to you local firearms officer but normally NP I have submitted 5 at a time

Do we have to justify every firearm here in Victoria? That's news to me. I had to justify why I wanted more than fifteen Cat B firearms, but I haven't had to justify anything else.

I thought you had to get approval for each and every one why is 15 a magic number
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 10 Oct 2018, 11:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I thought in Vic you did whats so special about 15 ? I may have been thinking W.A
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 11 Oct 2018, 8:16 am

I had to justify why I wanted more than fifteen Cat B firearms, but I haven't had to justify anything else.

Just out of interest and feel free not to disclose but what was your justification?
I'm in nsw but i'd like to have a good reason ready if i ever reach a quantity that they need justification for here.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 11 Oct 2018, 9:19 am

Chappo wrote:
I had to justify why I wanted more than fifteen Cat B firearms, but I haven't had to justify anything else.

Just out of interest and feel free not to disclose but what was your justification?
I'm in nsw but i'd like to have a good reason ready if i ever reach a quantity that they need justification for here.

The americans are looking and lauging.. :(

genuine reason my ass...

number of guns needed is always n+1
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2018, 11:46 am

pomemax wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Do we have to justify every firearm here in Victoria? That's news to me. I had to justify why I wanted more than fifteen Cat B firearms, but I haven't had to justify anything else.

I thought you had to get approval for each and every one why is 15 a magic number

Not sure what you mean by "approval", you require a PtA for every firearm, but I've never had to justify wanting them.
Earlier this year they were pushing for further information for anything over ten firearms. I wasn't privvy to the law-makers discussion but it seems they settled for up to fifteen CatB firearms as the limit for when they require further information.

I have never heard of anybody being knocked back though so I think it's more about them simply asking the question and receiving an answer is all - just covering their arses. The letter does suggest a Collector's Licence might be more suitable, but fails to explain why it might be. I'm not a collector.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2018, 12:15 pm

Chappo wrote:

I haven't heard of anybody being knocked back, and neither has the Firearm Trader's Association, so I'm not sure the actual "reasons" matter, as long as they're not too silly. I think it's more that they have a record of having asked the question, and received something of a response. I get the impression there are actually only a very few firearm owners in Victoria that are affected by this. Even the fifteen firearm limit before requiring a security system seems to apply to little more than a handful of shooters. It seems not many shooters enjoy as much variety as I do, so there's probably very little to be "gained" politically by shutting us down.

Because of that, I'm not sure there is any "correct" response.

Essentially, they require justification based entirely on the terminal result of the bullet - accuracy, performance and such. For me, the owning and shooting of the specific firearm is the justification, no other firearm can give me the same experience as the one I'm shooting. With milsurps particularly, I just love seeing how the designs of the firearms and the ammunition change, often rapidly during wartime, to try to find an edge (invariably short-lived) over the competition. I have five of the 6.5mm military chamberings so far, all will have essentially the same terminal results with similar bullets. But it is interesting to see how each used different bullets, or different rifle designs to try to find an advantage over the others. It is also interesting to see how they perform with modern bullets and powders. I have essentially, a "dynamic" interest in the history of the firearms, which does not comply with their restrictions forced onto "collectors" which is geared to "static" display only.

It is easy to justify any firearm that is used to shoot a particular competition, but eventually you run out of competitions, and leave yourself open to requiring corroborating evidence of attendances and such - a burden on yourself and your club officials. I stressed that all of my firearms are also used for hunting. It is left to us to determine what we feel we need to ensure clean ethical kills, not for the authorities to force us to comply with why they feel something less potent or different is a better choice.

I definitely consider Victoria to still be the least onerous state to own firearms in.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 11 Oct 2018, 12:42 pm

[quote="bladeracer"I definitely consider Victoria to still be the least onerous state to own firearms in.[/quote]

Good, i'm moving soon :))))
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2018, 1:16 pm

dpskipper wrote:[quote="bladeracer"I definitely consider Victoria to still be the least onerous state to own firearms in.

Good, i'm moving soon :))))[/quote]

The main thing is we are not forced to join any clubs or organisations to own firearms here because we still have tons of public land.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DJCoopes » 19 Nov 2018, 2:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
dpskipper wrote:[quote="bladeracer"I definitely consider Victoria to still be the least onerous state to own firearms in.

The main thing is we are not forced to join any clubs or organisations to own firearms here because we still have tons of public land.[/quote]

Which states can you hunt on public land in? I'm pretty sure you can't in WA.
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

DJCoopes wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The main thing is we are not forced to join any clubs or organisations to own firearms here because we still have tons of public land.

Which states can you hunt on public land in? I'm pretty sure you can't in WA.[/quote]

Victoria and NSW I know for sure, although you need an R-Licence in NSW.
NT has four _tiny_ little patches for pig and duck hunting with shotguns.
WA, SA, ACT and Qld are private property only. Don't know about Tassie.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 19 Nov 2018, 5:12 pm

pomemax wrote:First year I put in 14 its not like Victoria or SA justify each and every gun , here NSW you have justification you have a licence you don,t need a genuine reason for each firearm like Archie said a bucket full will flag you to you local firearms officer but normally NP I have submitted 5 at a time

One thing that NSW has going for it..I was unable to shoot for a few years so just kept buying rifles instead :lol:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2018, 6:01 pm

zhuk wrote:
pomemax wrote:First year I put in 14 its not like Victoria or SA justify each and every gun , here NSW you have justification you have a licence you don,t need a genuine reason for each firearm like Archie said a bucket full will flag you to you local firearms officer but normally NP I have submitted 5 at a time

One thing that NSW has going for it..I was unable to shoot for a few years so just kept buying rifles instead :lol:

Really? I've been averaging eight per year down here.

I thought NSW you have to have club attendances to maintain a firearm licence, unless you have a property letter?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 19 Nov 2018, 7:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
zhuk wrote:

Really? I've been averaging eight per year down here.

I thought NSW you have to have club attendances to maintain a firearm licence, unless you have a property letter?

No mate, rolling medical certificates unfortunately. I have a 17yr long chronic pain condition and was under control for the first 6 or so years of being licensed, but along with a shoulder op it flared up middle of 2016 so I lost the ability to sit down..ie no ability to get to ranges to maintain attendances :(

Coming a bit better now, but I still can't do the 110km round trip to my pistol club. Though I did travel to Grafton lying down in the back seat of someone's ute for an IPSC match couple of months back lol. First time I fired a shot since 2016 was very strange, at first :mrgreen:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DJCoopes » 20 Nov 2018, 11:20 am

For the NT spots, is it legally only shotguns?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2018, 12:46 pm

DJCoopes wrote:For the NT spots, is it legally only shotguns?

I'll have to check but I think that was correct - the areas really are tiny.
I was chatting with a bloke on FB that decided he was moving from SA to NT to be able hunt crown land - I think he realised his folly :-)

https://nt.gov.au/leisure/hunting-and-shooting/about-hunting-and-shooting
https://nt.gov.au/leisure/hunting-and-shooting/pig-hunting-in-reserves-rules

You can use any CatA shotgun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws