Moving Interstate Vic to WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Moving Interstate Vic to WA

Post by Runnymede » 14 Oct 2018, 3:55 pm

Hi all, looking for advice from our Western Australian members. Looks like I’m being transferred to WA for a couple of years with work so trying to decide what to do with my guns. Currently in Victoria so am interested to know if anyone has done the move and taken their firearms with them and is it worth it? I believe WA is not particularly firearms friendly and hunting in state forests etc is illegal? I’ll miss my deer hunting that’s for sure...... :cry:
I’ll be Perth based so wondering if it’s worth the effort?
Will the WA Police automatically transfer my license or do I need to go through the whole process of vetting etc? If I do might just transfer my firearms to family while I’m gone and go fishing instead....
Anyway any help from members would be appreciated :D
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Moving Interstate Vic to WA

Post by No1_49er » 14 Oct 2018, 4:55 pm

If it's a work transfer, which might only be for a couple of years, maybe your employer will come to the party and wear the cost of, or share, the cost of storage?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 15 Oct 2018, 7:40 am

Runnymede wrote:I’ll be Perth based so wondering if it’s worth the effort?
Will the WA Police automatically transfer my license or do I need to go through the whole process of vetting etc? If I do might just transfer my firearms to family while I’m gone and go fishing instead....
Anyway any help from members would be appreciated :D

No mate WA wont recognize another states license .
Ya can get a visitors permit for short periods but if ya gonna be there for a extended period thats no good to ya.
Personally id be maintaining your current license and leaving ya guns behind unless.ya got plenty of cash as wa is f@#kin exxy for license costs.
:drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Oct 2018, 9:46 am

Runnymede wrote:.... Looks like I’m being transferred to WA for a couple of years with work

My sincere condolences
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Runnymede » 15 Oct 2018, 3:14 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Runnymede wrote:.... Looks like I’m being transferred to WA for a couple of years with work

My sincere condolences

I hear you buddy.....things we do for money I guess. :D
Spent some time checking out the WA Police website and what I have read isn’t very encouraging to say the least :thumbsdown:
Thinking I might just transfer my guns to family and shelve my hunting for a couple of years...now that is a depressing thought...
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Oct 2018, 4:12 pm

Look on the brightside Runnymede, at least we don't live in China.
I was reading this morning that since the new Emperor decided to ban all hunting rifles for private citizens people have been getting hit with some outrageous penalties.

A 51yo woman who owned a small carnival stall has just been realeased after being given three and a half years inside because she didn't know that the clapped out old BB guns she had in her ballon popping game were considered to be hunting rifles because they had a muzzle energy over 1.8 joules. Must hunt butterflies with rifles over there.

There was a fuss made and an appeal upheld because she was willing to admit the serious harm she was causing her society :roll:

https://m.scmp.com/news/china/policies- ... wner?amp=1
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Western Australia gun laws