NSW PTA's now online

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW PTA's now online

Post by Jon79 » 22 Oct 2018, 12:14 pm

Finally! just put in my first online PTA......lets see if its any quicker lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: NSW PTA's now online

Post by Daddybang » 22 Oct 2018, 12:26 pm

It took a long time to improve the times after qld implemented an online system. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 22 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Just lodged one. It took a whole 2 minutes to complete. Wonder how long it will take to be approved.

Come to think of it, Do i get a paper PTA in mail or is the PTA all digital now.... :unknown:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 22 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

I sent 2 pta’s In the mail 2 1/2 weeks ago now, wonder if implementating this new system will make the wait longer? Are they still doing paper applications going forward, or fully online?
Last edited by MJW380 on 22 Oct 2018, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 22 Oct 2018, 9:48 pm

Good question mj,
I did one a week ago
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 23 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

Jon79 wrote:Finally! just put in my first online PTA......lets see if its any quicker lol

put it in yesterday and was issued when I checked this morning
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by aimz » 23 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

paper applications should still be fine. im sure they are still getting heaps of them. two firearms dealers emailed me about week or so ago saying they would help customers log in and go through the process.

the "good reason" part is strange. so many reasons, yet you cant choose more than one. and the reasons for owning firearms are on my licence.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 23 Oct 2018, 6:06 pm

Jon79 wrote:
Jon79 wrote:Finally! just put in my first online PTA......lets see if its any quicker lol

put it in yesterday and was issued when I checked this morning

I put mine in online yesterday also and says "PTA Application being processed by Firearms Registry" currently
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 24 Oct 2018, 6:19 am

PTA that was lodged online 2 days ago is marked VALID now. Pretty happy with that.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 28 Oct 2018, 8:34 am

aimz wrote:
the "good reason" part is strange. so many reasons, yet you cant choose more than one. and the reasons for owning firearms are on my licence.

Yeah, call me cynical lol but I don't like that change at all...all too easy for them to look up your current ownership and query the "need" (hope this isn't a softening up to go like WA down the track) Let's just say I have *ahem* a few lol

Just put in my last PTA and I'm bloody glad it was paper :P
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sorefeet » 28 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Just lodged one. Wonder what will happen.
sorefeet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 28 Oct 2018, 11:07 pm

just had a look at that still have to get club official to sign off for a hand gun
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 30 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm

PTA arrived in the mail this morning
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 31 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

Jon79 wrote:

Nice! For comparison, I’d submitted a paper one which was received by the registry on the 5th of October. I received it in the mail on Monday morning - so the online system seems significantly quicker
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by paralacausa » 01 Nov 2018, 2:57 pm

According to NSW Police my PTA was approved in a couple of days. I take it they still mail it out to you like before?
paralacausa
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 02 Nov 2018, 7:12 pm

Geech wrote:
Jon79 wrote:

Nice! For comparison, I’d submitted a paper one which was received by the registry on the 5th of October. I received it in the mail on Monday morning - so the online system seems significantly quicker

I was told today that all the online submission does is cut out the mail-time...its still allegedly a couple of weeks or more backlog getting through the pile they already have, online or not its a first come first served. Posted a mail PTA 10 days ago they have no record of it being received so far, but as the FAR chick said "it could well be sitting in the pile and hasn't been seen yet, give it another couple of weeks before getting back to us". And this was after 1 hr 35mins in the queue...I miss the days when at least they told you "You are 5th in the queue" lol

Meanwhile my dealer has the gun and has been twiddling his thumbs...and this is my LAST GUN EVER so understandably I'm a bit antsy lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 06 Nov 2018, 5:05 pm

zhuk wrote:
Geech wrote:
Jon79 wrote:

I was told today that all the online submission does is cut out the mail-time...its still allegedly a couple of weeks or more backlog getting through the pile they already have, online or not its a first come first served. Posted a mail PTA 10 days ago they have no record of it being received so far, but as the FAR chick said "it could well be sitting in the pile and hasn't been seen yet, give it another couple of weeks before getting back to us". And this was after 1 hr 35mins in the queue...I miss the days when at least they told you "You are 5th in the queue" lol

Meanwhile my dealer has the gun and has been twiddling his thumbs...and this is my LAST GUN EVER so understandably I'm a bit antsy lol

My pta i lodged online was marked "Valid" 24 hours later and in my mail box 7 days later.

If only we could get a digital PTA to eliminate the return 7-10 days postage it would be great.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Nov 2018, 4:07 am

2freeq wrote:
zhuk wrote:
Geech wrote:
Jon79 wrote:

My pta i lodged online was marked "Valid" 24 hours later and in my mail box 7 days later.

If only we could get a digital PTA to eliminate the return 7-10 days postage it would be great.

Maybe they might eventually get around to that, as happened in qld. Good to hear you got yours...two weeks and no receipt for mine yet lol...I'm expecting maybe beginning of January :lol:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 14 Nov 2018, 6:48 am

Welp, after 3 weeks waiting I rang FAR, still no sign they'd received the application. Said I could lodge another online, at least then I'd be certain they would actually get it.

So I did so day before yesterday, it was logged as processing yesterday and as of today has been issued...great stuff!

Hopefully I'll receive the PTA within a week or so, and go get my rifle which has been sitting at my dealers for a month now ;) lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 22 Nov 2018, 6:48 am

Update: PTA lodged online last Tuesday (Nov 13)

Approved/issued Nov 15

Arrived in my mail box yesterday, Nov 21. Can't complain about 8 days in total :)

Meanwhile the paper application sent a month ago still hasn't shown up on the system.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 05 Feb 2019, 7:48 pm

Just did my first online pta.
Those genuine reasons really are weird.
Didn’t seem to be one correct answer and I could’ve chosen from three or four. A few strange ones too. One was “uneven terrain”
How is that a genuine reason for needing another firearm?? :unknown:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws