Having a drink at the club/when cleaning your guns at home?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Having a drink at the club/when cleaning your guns at home?

Post by tiki » 25 Jul 2013, 3:21 pm

Hi all,

I did a search for this in the firearms act online for terms like 0.05, 0.02 etc. and some of the blood alcohol limits I know they have in various states but couldn't find anything.

Is there a set limit for booze when your traveling with your guns or have been for a shoot?

OBVIOUSLY drinking before/while shooting is stupid (Don't need any safety lectures, hehe).

But if you have 1 at the club after shooting, or are sitting at home cleaning your rifle while having a beer etc. Is that cool? or strict no-no?

Talking safe guns only, no ammo around etc... All the common sense stuff.

Cheers.
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Re: Having a drink at the club/when cleaning your guns at ho

Post by Norton » 25 Jul 2013, 4:21 pm

This is very much an open to interpretation (by the police, not you) part of the law.

As you say, there isn't a specific limit in the firearms act like 0.05 etc. I believe the wording is something like "handing a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs", so ultimately the powers that be can decide if you were in violation of this.

If you're camped out somewhere with everything locked up in the case/car etc., and you've got 1 beer in you I'd like to think that a ranger/cop wouldn't have an issue, but you never know.

Better safe than sorry, I'd avoid it.

Cleaning a rifle only takes 20 minutes once the day is done and you're home, I'm sure you can without for 20 minutes :P
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Monty » 25 Jul 2013, 5:38 pm

Short answer, don't do it.

I'm sure someone will chime in saying your not going to get random breath tested on your couch at home, but if on the 1 in a million chance someone came knocking and saw a beer or two next to your rifle I doubt they'd be impressed.

No judgement here... I'm sure everyone's capable of securing away all the dangerous bits at home before cleaning a cleared rifle and having a beer, but strictly speaking you could get in trouble over it.

Like Norton said, I wouldn't risk my license over having to wait 20 minutes for a drink.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by inervate » 26 Jul 2013, 9:29 am

When I did my safety course the guy mentioned this. He said as long as all firearms & ammo are separated and locked up etc. Having a drink shouldn't be a problem if a ranger or whoever comes wandering past.

If you got tanked though and had guns in the car/tent or wherever you'd likely be in for some trouble though.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Seik » 30 Jul 2013, 10:13 am

What are the chances of getting an RBT in your living room? :D

Seriously though, best to leave the hooch alone until the guns are away.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tarnagulla » 30 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

It is interesting that some other states also refer to "under the influence" etc. In Victoria it is the same - no reference to .02, .05, or anything else - just under the influence.

The significance of course is that if you have had only one sip, and a member of the police force or other authorised officer accuses you of being under the influence, the practical effect is that in court you have to prove that you were not! No need for RBT or other breathalyser evidence - effectively, you are guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent. That is why legislation in various states was worded that way...

Of course, you might be up against a sympathetic magistrate - but don't count on it!

Safest is Seik's advice...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by lole » 30 Jul 2013, 8:31 pm

tarnagulla wrote:It is interesting that some other states also refer to "under the influence" etc. In Victoria it is the same - no reference to .02, .05, or anything else - just under the influence.

The significance of course is that if you have had only one sip, and a member of the police force or other authorised officer accuses you of being under the influence, the practical effect is that in court you have to prove that you were not! No need for RBT or other breathalyser evidence - effectively, you are guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent. That is why legislation in various states was worded that way...

There has to be more too it than that though doesn't there?

Even if it's something circumstantial like appearing to be under the influence, i.e. slurred speech, loss of co-ordination or something similar....

Surely someone can't just accuse you and bam, you're done?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws