Do as I say, not as I do.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Do as I say, not as I do.

Post by Windston » 23 Nov 2018, 1:16 pm

trekin wrote:
Windston wrote:
trekin wrote:Is his NSW licence still current?

Should be yeh. Does that change things?

It ould be why WLB have not collected the firearms yet. If his NSW licence is still current (and he should check with FAR that it still is), than he is still legally licenced and the firearms are still registered in NSW and can be stored in the safe of an appopratly licenced person.

That could be why the NSW police told him that he could store them with me, because his NSW licence is still valid. Does that mean that QPS and WLB are incorrect in trying to seize the firearms from my safe?

Sorry for all the questions but this is just making my head spin!
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2018, 2:33 pm

Windston wrote:
trekin wrote:
Windston wrote:
trekin wrote:Is his NSW licence still current?

Should be yeh. Does that change things?

It ould be why WLB have not collected the firearms yet. If his NSW licence is still current (and he should check with FAR that it still is), than he is still legally licenced and the firearms are still registered in NSW and can be stored in the safe of an appopratly licenced person.

That could be why the NSW police told him that he could store them with me, because his NSW licence is still valid. Does that mean that QPS and WLB are incorrect in trying to seize the firearms from my safe?

Sorry for all the questions but this is just making my head spin!

As long as he still has a licence for them, even in another state (except WA) then the firearms are still registered. Some states don't allow you to have permanent storage out of state though, you can't list a Victorian address as your storage address if you aren't resident in Victoria. While he has a NSW licence he might be best to keep his firearms secured within NSW - you'd have to check the laws about that.
The potential catch is if NSW decides he is now a Qld resident and cancels his licence, but I can't recall hearing of that ever happening. I would think his NSW licence would remain valid until he is issued a Qld licence to replace it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Nov 2018, 2:28 pm

WLB in QLD have some issues, when I moved here from the NT 9 years ago, I took my firearms to the local police station for identification verification and filled out the paperwork for a QLD license, telling the copper I was in the process of moving and wanted to get in so it was finalised before I completed the move and that I had already installed a compliant safe.

The local copper was happy with this as my NT license was still current, I took the firearms home, after a couple of weeks of not hearing anything, I contact WLB to enquire as to where the process was at, the female officer I spoke to was fairly abrupt, she asked me where the firearms were located, when I told her, she very abruptly and rudely informed me the should be surrendered to the police until the license was issued.

Given her attitude, I asked her as to what part of the law stated I had to do this and that as I still had a current NT license, the firearms were registered, I had not completed the move, therefore I had every right to have the firearms in my possession, she went a bit quiet, she was unable to state any law that required me to hand the firearms in, I suggested if the licensed was processed in a reasonable time, there would not be any issue, I subsequently received the license within about 4 days of that call.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:WLB in QLD have some issues, when I moved here from the NT 9 years ago, I took my firearms to the local police station for identification verification and filled out the paperwork for a QLD license, telling the copper I was in the process of moving and wanted to get in so it was finalised before I completed the move and that I had already installed a compliant safe.

The local copper was happy with this as my NT license was still current, I took the firearms home, after a couple of weeks of not hearing anything, I contact WLB to enquire as to where the process was at, the female officer I spoke to was fairly abrupt, she asked me where the firearms were located, when I told her, she very abruptly and rudely informed me the should be surrendered to the police until the license was issued.

Given her attitude, I asked her as to what part of the law stated I had to do this and that as I still had a current NT license, the firearms were registered, I had not completed the move, therefore I had every right to have the firearms in my possession, she went a bit quiet, she was unable to state any law that required me to hand the firearms in, I suggested if the licensed was processed in a reasonable time, there would not be any issue, I subsequently received the license within about 4 days of that call.

WA doesn't recognise interstate registration. Even if your firearms are licenced in your home state you have to have them temporarily registered in WA while you are there. When the Temporary permit expires your firearms are considered unregistered, it is an offence to possess them, and you are required to hand them in for destruction or in some other way remove them from the state. I had Beaton Firearms send my rifles back to my dealer here in Victoria.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Nov 2018, 2:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:WA doesn't recognise interstate registration. Even if your firearms are licenced in your home state you have to have them temporarily registered in WA while you are there. When the Temporary permit expires your firearms are considered unregistered, it is an offence to possess them, and you are required to hand them in for destruction or in some other way remove them from the state. I had Beaton Firearms send my rifles back to my dealer here in Victoria.

WA have some very strange laws, then again the rest of the countries firearms laws are not much better, the problem is many of the provisions are so placed as a result of political posturing and vote grabbing, rather than for the purpose of practically enhancing public safety, they are based more on sound good, rather than on actual facts and statistics.
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Nov 2018, 7:08 pm

Mate that's not just firearms, I reckon it's everything they do, or all laws they make
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Nov 2018, 7:38 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:WLB in QLD have some issues, when I moved here from the NT 9 years ago, I took my firearms to the local police station for identification verification and filled out the paperwork for a QLD license, telling the copper I was in the process of moving and wanted to get in so it was finalised before I completed the move and that I had already installed a compliant safe.

Her name wasn't Debbie, by any chance was it?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Nov 2018, 11:44 am

trekin wrote:

Her name wasn't Debbie, by any chance was it?

Don't know what here name was, however she was pretty abrupt and rude, although her dominant belligerent attitude changed when she realised I knew my subject matter, I have met many government employees like her over the years, they substitute lack of knowledge of the laws they work under with bluff, which leaves them no where to go when the bluff is called.

I used to lecture in practical interpretation of statutes for regulatory personnel, some of the attitudes leave a lot to be desired, the old, if in doubt write it out, and with some, being a naturally miserable prick meant they tried as hard as possible to inflict their attitude on everyone else, including colleagues, my main advice was, know the laws that you enforce, understand the elements of the offence in question, and if unsure, don't be to proud to admit it and go do the necessary research.
Member-Deleted

Return to Queensland gun laws