something feels a little off

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

something feels a little off

Post by BangBangSkeetSkeet » 07 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

Fellas, anyone else notice we've had a lot of questions & posts lately asking about things like capacity limits and whether it is possible to modify things (not scopes/rings/ triggers etc but modifications that might take you into a different category) and storage and licensing questions that seem, how shall I put this, unusually specific and a little too pointed?

If it's just me and you think my tin foil hat is a little too tight :crazy: , let me know, but my spidey senses are tingling right now and I think we need to be a little more judicious in how we answer some questions... not everyone reading or posting on this forum is a friend to the LAFO

I'm just going to leave this here...
and a reminder from them to think about what we post here:
He and Peters also began lurking around internet chat rooms used by shooters. "We'd use pseudonyms and write things like, 'Hey fellas, I actually don't think a little regulation is a bad idea,' " Chapman says. "We'd then see how people responded, and that would help us shape our arguments in future."
My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who choose to be, and if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
BangBangSkeetSkeet
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2018, 3:10 pm

BangBangSkeetSkeet wrote:Fellas, anyone else notice we've had a lot of questions & posts lately asking about things like capacity limits and whether it is possible to modify things (not scopes/rings/ triggers etc but modifications that might take you into a different category) and storage and licensing questions that seem, how shall I put this, unusually specific and a little too pointed?

If it's just me and you think my tin foil hat is a little too tight :crazy: , let me know, but my spidey senses are tingling right now and I think we need to be a little more judicious in how we answer some questions... not everyone reading or posting on this forum is a friend to the LAFO

I'm just going to leave this here...
and a reminder from them to think about what we post here:
He and Peters also began lurking around internet chat rooms used by shooters. "We'd use pseudonyms and write things like, 'Hey fellas, I actually don't think a little regulation is a bad idea,' " Chapman says. "We'd then see how people responded, and that would help us shape our arguments in future."

If Police are now investigating us based on theoretical things we say instead of actually tracking down criminals and preventing crimes, then we are well past the point of ever returning to having a useful Police force. When it becomes criminal to imagine and discuss theories we might as well just change the country's name to North Korea. People that are law-abiding should not have to fear their own Police force, regardless of what they say or think.

A LEO actually responded to a thread here some time ago to straighten out a legal discussion, so there is no doubt we are monitored.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 3:28 pm

it wouldn't at all suprise me fellas. i mean, being firearm owners/ hunters/rural lifestyle enthusiasts ( how's that for a made up politically correct term :lol: ). the powers that be might be concerned that we are spending too much time enjoying ourselves online instead of building our fall out shelters , attending neo-nazi rallies and/or klan meetings. we should be grateful for their monitoring of our state of mind and well being . :sarcasm:

DISCLAIMER- i have a dry sense of humor and do not participate in any of the above listed activities. i was being sarcastic .

i do hope the cops/feds are onto radicals or nut jobs, cause all it would take is another port arthur and our rights to own firearms would be under serious threat. on the other side of the coin my father was a senior constable in brisbane in the early 1970's, and what he claims went on defies belief. so, who's policing the police ? :unknown:
bigrich
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 7:45 pm

Question:-
If you attend a clan rally, does your sheet HAVE to be white??
I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the laundry side of things going well...

Looking at how bad I am at separating colours (just chuck em all in!), I could likely go either a pink or a pale blue sheet?
Would that still be okay??
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 07 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

I'm of the belief that all forums to do with the shooting sport is being checked from time to time
I think it's a case of user beware if your worried
grandadbushy
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm

Either one would fit right in Rod.
Saw something on tv about them and some character called the Grand Goat Squeezer or some such, had a shiny purple satin one :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Captain
Captain

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Dec 2018, 8:34 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Question:-

Looking at how bad I am at separating colours (just chuck em all in!), I could likely go either a pink or a pale blue sheet?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup: and that's Klan rally rod. a Clan rally is a bunch of drunken scotsmen :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 10:08 pm

Oh....right!

Clan rally .... Bring whiskey.
Klan rally .... Bring sheet....

Got it!
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 07 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Question:-

you have to soak in nappy san first , then wash in cold power (save the planet,wash in cold water)
pink is only for special meetings , keys in a bowl type of meetings :lol: :lol:

oh sorry you meant "clan" meeting,,grab a bottle of whiskey and they won't care what your dressed in :thumbsup:
tom604
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Oh....right!

Got it!

Clam rally - bring worsteshire
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Dec 2018, 10:35 pm

i thought it was off.
nothing wrong with a little low level paranoia...
its healthy
knowsnothin
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 07 Dec 2018, 11:00 pm

I think we would have to be naive to think we were not looked at from time to time .
as for colored Klan sheet it proves you male rod I believe in fully integrated washing too
So how many clansmen do you think go to Klan meetings
Do I think we have had some unfriendly,s of late probably
pomemax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by booomr » 07 Dec 2018, 11:04 pm

I always thought the klan was big on separating washing.

They always talk about being anti colours.
booomr
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Dec 2018, 6:34 am

BangBangSkeetSkeet and others

You would have to have rocks in your head to think that this and many other forums go unmonitored. If not in real time then occasionally.
Remember that anything you put out on the internet lives forever.
If particular words or phrases are detected by robotic monitors then closer manual scrutiny will follow.
The monitoring is nowhere near the heavy handed style of some other countries but the outcomes can be much the same.
A perhaps not so good analogy is like the difference between rape and seduction. Two different processes but they result in much the same outcome.
Particularly at risk are remote country people who are used to far less public scrutiny and thus enjoy the freedom to do things that may be frowned on in more populous places.
Above all, beware of the "judas goat" posters.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Dec 2018, 6:35 am

[quote="booomr"]I always thought the klan was big on separating washing.

They always talk about being anti colours.[/quote

:lol: who would have thought there would be so many funny take the piss out of the Klan jokes :lol: “ the grand goat squeezer” gaz ? Are you sure you haven’t confused things with the kiwi Klan ? :lol:
bigrich
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Archie » 08 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

Even if not actually monitored, there’s more than one cop out there who’s also into hunting and shooting. It would be no surprise if some forum members happened to be police, and it would be a bit worrying if someone said something really stupid online and they didn’t do anything at all.

I was wondering if the person the other day who was asking, in effect, “am I going to have trouble getting a licence because I have a legal history involving domestic violence” was a sh*t stirrer but eventually decided they were just looking for information. Even if they didn’t like the answers they got (“yes you will have trouble you moron and so you should”) for the most part.

One of the reasons people come to this forum to ask questions is a lot of the various factsheets can be unclear on details. And most people don’t have experience interpreting legislation or regulations. So when you want specific answers it’s a logical place to ask detailed questions. And I think for the most part people try and give sensible answers. There’s a lot of space between explaining how to comply with a rule you might not like, which happens all the time, and encouraging people to break it - which I haven’t seen.

But yeah if someone is asking something that really they shouldn’t be, then just telling them to talk to the FAR to clarify the rules, is the safe bet I think.
Archie
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:Oh....right!

Got it!

Clam rally - bring worsteshire

I'd bring a Rubber, ya should have a good chance of getting laid by one of them clams with that many in attendance :lol:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Macross » 08 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

Given the wait times for approvals in Qld at the moment, it would seem that there must be an influx of people either returning or starting out new to shooting. Ive been away from the sport since the Howard Govt. purchased my rifles off me some decades ago. Things have changed a lot since then and its somewhat overwhelming when dipping your toe back in the water again with all the regs etc.

I think people can feel more comfortable asking seemingly 'silly' questions somewhere like a forum, rather than look like a dill at the LGS or gun club. Ive got a few dozen silly questions queued up for the pistol threads in the next few months.... :)
Macross
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Australian gun laws