something feels a little off

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

G'day Macross.

Mate, I'm not a pistol shooter so I can't offer anything along that line.

But you're in the right place to ask virtually any question, on virtually any subject, and as long as you accept or reject the answers with the respect in which the advice is offered, there really isn't a silly question.

I've learned an incredible amount, right here, by asking questions I thought might sound silly.
:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bigrich » 08 Dec 2018, 9:57 pm

a silly question ya shouldn't ask on here is "should i buy another gun ?" :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2301
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 2:47 pm

Macross wrote:Given the wait times for approvals in Qld at the moment, it would seem that there must be an influx of people either returning or starting out new to shooting. Ive been away from the sport since the Howard Govt. purchased my rifles off me some decades ago. Things have changed a lot since then and its somewhat overwhelming when dipping your toe back in the water again with all the regs etc.

I think people can feel more comfortable asking seemingly 'silly' questions somewhere like a forum, rather than look like a dill at the LGS or gun club. Ive got a few dozen silly questions queued up for the pistol threads in the next few months.... :)


As a relatively newbie - relative meaning a returning shooter - you simply don’t know what you don’t know...and questions that you think, wtf they must be kidding - are dead set legit to the person asking a Q.
Eg - someone in another thread said that they’d stay away from a 260 Calibre over a 6.5 cm because 260’s were hard to obtain...had it been a question, I would have answered but because it was a statement it was annoying...I’d rather ask the question if I don’t know the answer, for sure, than assume something that turned out to be wrong.


I think also - because of long wait times - a bit of psychology creeps in to the fold. Eg I’ve put my pta in, Ive selected my Calibre, I’ve thought about ammo and reloading for my preferredrifle...now what? Sit and wait like an over excited snake with no where to go? Bulldust - I’m hitting the forums...to try and dampen down my sleepless nights until I can handle my own firearm.

It needs to be also said - as an avid motorcyclist who has now moved away from mainstream, I used to visit various bike and biker type forums.
We would often arrange a run from A to B to C and ask certain others to tag along.
The thing that got me was that one of the moderators told us that they had been approached by the feds to open certain ppls PERSONAL Messages!! I don’t know if this is even possible but I I see govt is now moving to make decryption of messages legal for them - if they feel the need....Big Brother ain’t going no where peeps.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1501
Tasmania

Re: something feels a little off

Post by booomr » 09 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
It needs to be also said - as an avid motorcyclist who has now moved away from mainstream, I used to visit various bike and biker type forums.
We would often arrange a run from A to B to C and ask certain others to tag along.
The thing that got me was that one of the moderators told us that they had been approached by the feds to open certain ppls PERSONAL Messages!! I don’t know if this is even possible but I I see govt is now moving to make decryption of messages legal for them - if they feel the need....Big Brother ain’t going no where peeps.



As someone who has run forums on other subjects, I can confirm this is possible. Because the data for the message is stored on the forum itself (if the particular forum has pm logging available) then it actually isn't considered personal. It's considered to be online data. Personally, I think it might be a bit of a grey area that the law needs to catch up with. Though I think, technically, the request is meant to go to the site host.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 24
Victoria

Re: something feels a little off

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Dec 2018, 9:02 pm

^That’s really concerning - imagine if you used a throw away line, in the heat of the moment, a stupid comment via a PM - thinking that a pm is a safe option rather than broadcasting your feelings on an open forum.
And although a number of holes in the cheese might neeed to line up...3 weeks/months later your in court, in front of a jury trying to explain yourself...scary stuff.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1501
Tasmania

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Dec 2018, 10:23 am

It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...

It's been that way since the internet first became public-access (in the early 1990's??).
And yes; I can appreciate that a PM would be considered to be 'private', but the fact that the message is being stored on someone else's computer network without any binding relationship to you, means that this was going to happen at SOME stage.
With these new data-encryption access laws that have just been passed, it's only going to get more so.

It's why social media continues to freak me out; people pour their lives into it, and then their personal details start leaking out all over the place!

You MIGHT have some better chance at keeping data private if you are paying for a service that guarantees a level of data privacy (like cloud accounting services), but even they arent totally private, and are obligated to hand data over to the feds if they get a tap on the shoulder.
[And besides; NOT a lot of people send many PM's through their cloud accounting access!]
We all gave up a LOT of our privacy, when we embraced the internet, and privacy laws are over 2 decades behind the technology.
With the continuing hysteria about terrorism, I reckon we will lose even more privacy in the next few years.

Over 10 years ago, there were multiple court cases around the world, where company employees discovered that ANY emails they sent from their work email account were deemed to be company property.
The company provided the equipment, the server, the software and the internet access for the emails to be sent, and so the emails were deemed to be company property. It really didnt go well for employees who had been [privately] slagging off at the boss.
[Not saying I 100% agree with this, but I'm using it as an example of how nothing we write on the net has been truly private for a long time..]

So, my thought is to always consider/assume that everything you write, is going to be read by people who arent sympathetic towards your point of view.; regardless of how private you think the conversation is.

Secondly, I remember a story about a village idiot(Nicknamed Kerro) who used to frequent the Lyceum Hotel in Longreach, and was waxing lyrical one night about all the fish he'd illegally netted in a creek somewhere. He gets a tap on the shoulder from the local DPI Fisheries inspector(a rather overzealous sort), who tells this idiot he's nicked.
Kerro tells this guy to piss off.
Fisho says "Do you KNOW who I am?? I'm the local fisheries inspector!"
Kerro replies with "Well, do you KNOW who I am?? I'm the biggest liar in Longreach!"
At this point, Mr Fisho comes to the horrid realisation that he's got NO evidence at all on the crimes this guy has SAID he'd committed, and Fisho had to walk away.

If you think an offhand comment in a PM is going to be enough evidence alone for anyone to put you in front of a judge, then you must have some interesting friends!

My 2 cents...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 594
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 10:32 am

Rod_outbak wrote:It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...


You get people whining on Facebook that other people are "stealing" their videos and photos, even on "private" forums and groups :-)
If you put _anything_ online that _anybody_ else can see, then it can, and likely will be copied, even from the cached copy after you delete it. Even direct email can be accessed by others.

If you don't want to share something with the world, don't share it online!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5588
Victoria

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Daddybang » 10 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...




If you don't want to share something with the world, don't share it online!


Spot on fellas ! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2781
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:It's safe to assume that everything you write on the net, is likely accessible by people other than your intended recipients...




If you don't want to share something with the world, don't share it online!


Spot on fellas ! :thumbsup: :drinks:


welcome to the brave new world of big brother fellas ;) :sarcasm: :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2301
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bigrich » 13 Dec 2018, 4:57 am

Is it just me, or does the state forest post question seem a little odd ?
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2301
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Wombat » 13 Dec 2018, 6:04 am

Its not just you.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 607
Victoria

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Ziad » 13 Dec 2018, 7:09 am

Lol I thought that too. But notice the fb ppl of today as that question a lot. Eg

Please show us pictures of your rig for 4wd inf.

I just bought a gun xyz, show me your pictures
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1217
Victoria

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Daddybang » 13 Dec 2018, 7:14 am

bigrich wrote:Is it just me, or does the state forest post question seem a little odd ?


Yep :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2781
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by grandadbushy » 13 Dec 2018, 7:47 am

YEP As well didn't know there was a state forest gun especially up here in Qld where you can't shoot in one :shock: :? :crazy:
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1854
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bigrich » 13 Dec 2018, 8:37 am

Must be Boris Badenuff and Natasha from evil leftist socialist state, sent by their fearless leader (Sarah Hanson young ? Sam Lee maybe ) to spy on us “Good Guys “ I think I’ll go salute our nations flag and sing the national anthem now . “Australians all let us rejoice cause we are young and free “ (supposedly )
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2301
Queensland

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Stix » 13 Dec 2018, 8:49 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigrich wrote:Is it just me, or does the state forest post question seem a little odd ?


Yep :thumbsup: :drinks:


Ok...stupid question...

Is it a post, or a thread...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2472
South Australia

Re: something feels a little off

Post by Stix » 13 Dec 2018, 8:54 am

Ok...i think its clear now given the latest post from herman... :lol:

So i assume its the thread you refer too...
:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2472
South Australia

Re: something feels a little off

Post by bigrich » 13 Dec 2018, 9:11 am

Stix wrote:Ok...i think its clear now given the latest post from herman... :lol:

So i assume its the thread you refer too...
:unknown:


Bloody nit picking :lol: ya need a scotch stix :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2301
Queensland

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Queensland gun laws