Do i need a seperate safe

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Do i need a seperate safe

Post by Farmerpete » 10 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

So heres my problem im the proud owner of a cat c licence and have 2 cat c firearms in my safe my wife can only get cat b (only 1 person can hold cat c per buisness) do i need a seperate safe for the cat c guns i initially thought yes but the whole any farm employee capable of owning a licence can have access to the guns under my direction has confused me. do i even need to bother getting her a licence or can i just give her a standing direction to shoot a pig if she sees one
Farmerpete
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2018, 12:18 pm

Farmerpete wrote:So heres my problem im the proud owner of a cat c licence and have 2 cat c firearms in my safe my wife can only get cat b (only 1 person can hold cat c per buisness) do i need a seperate safe for the cat c guns i initially thought yes but the whole any farm employee capable of owning a licence can have access to the guns under my direction has confused me. do i even need to bother getting her a licence or can i just give her a standing direction to shoot a pig if she sees one


Assuming you only have CatC firearms, I would think a CatC-compliant safe would be fine, assuming the only other people with access are allowed access. If you have CatA/B firearms as well, and you have people at the property that are not allowed access to CatC then I would expect you would need a second safe for those.
Because of the legal ramifications, I'd suggest emailing Firearms and getting a response in writing, just in case.
Also clarify whether you have to be within a certain distance, or even in attendance at the property at the time, and the unlicenced person's access to the ammunition..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5408
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by brett1868 » 10 Dec 2018, 12:45 pm

You cannot allow your wife access to the Cat C firearms. If you are forced to share a safe then I'd be explaining the situation to the authorites and see what they recommend. It may just be a matter of securing the Cat C in the safe with a bike chain / trigger to prevent her removing them and make sure she doesn't know where the keys are. Some secrets in a marriage are mandatory, location of safe keys is one of them as my wife has no idea where I keep the keys and I'll never tell her.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
User avatar
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3427
New South Wales

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by marksman » 10 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

brett1868 wrote:You cannot allow your wife access to the Cat C firearms. If you are forced to share a safe then I'd be explaining the situation to the authorites and see what they recommend. It may just be a matter of securing the Cat C in the safe with a bike chain / trigger to prevent her removing them and make sure she doesn't know where the keys are. Some secrets in a marriage are mandatory, location of safe keys is one of them as my wife has no idea where I keep the keys and I'll never tell her.


+1 :drinks:
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 2028
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

brett1868 wrote:Some secrets in a marriage are mandatory, location of safe keys is one of them as my wife has no idea where I keep the keys and I'll never tell her.


Agree, the mrs might make use of them when I’m asleep. Buuuuuttttttt stats tell us knives and scissors are more likely weapons of choice by a woman. So maybe I should just encourage her to get a firearms license. :lol:
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5296
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by Farmerpete » 10 Dec 2018, 8:53 pm

From the act
54 Possession or use of weapon by unlicensed person in
primary production sometimes allowed
(1) In this section—
primary producer means a person who—
(a) has a licence; and
(b) usually carries out primary production on land (the
primary producer’s land), even if only as an agent or
employee of another person.
weapon means a weapon that a primary producer possesses
under the authority of a licence.
(2) A person who is an agent, employee or member of the
immediate family of the primary producer may possess or use
a weapon on the primary producer’s land, even if the person
does not hold a licence for that category of weapon, if the
person—
(a) assists the primary producer with primary production on
the land; and
(b) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and
(c) only uses the weapon with the express consent of the
primary producer; and
(d) only uses the weapon in connection with carrying out
primary production on the land.

This section is why i am now confused it would appear being paid by the farm makes her able to shoot on the farm
Farmerpete
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by trekin » 11 Dec 2018, 4:41 am

Farmerpete wrote:From the act
54 Possession or use of weapon by unlicensed person in
primary production sometimes allowed
(1) In this section—
primary producer means a person who—
(a) has a licence; and
(b) usually carries out primary production on land (the
primary producer’s land), even if only as an agent or
employee of another person.
weapon means a weapon that a primary producer possesses
under the authority of a licence.
(2) A person who is an agent, employee or member of the
immediate family of the primary producer may possess or use
a weapon on the primary producer’s land, even if the person
does not hold a licence for that category of weapon, if the
person—
(a) assists the primary producer with primary production on
the land; and
(b) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and
(c) only uses the weapon with the express consent of the
primary producer; and
(d) only uses the weapon in connection with carrying out
primary production on the land.

This section is why i am now confused it would appear being paid by the farm makes her able to shoot on the farm

As would being a "member of the immediate family".
As to your original question, is your wife getting a primary producers licence, or a RE/SC (recreational/sport) licence?, Do you have an RE/SC licence? If you and maybe your wife, in the future, have both PP and RE/SC licences, then you are better off having two safes to keeps firearms registered to either licence seperate, because your unlicenced employees or those granted express consent still can not have excess to yours and your wifes personel firearms.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
User avatar
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 665
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by straightshooter » 11 Dec 2018, 5:51 am

Dot your i's and cross your t's.
Just keep in mind who has unlimited resources (compared to you) in the event that a prosecution ever eventuates.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 431
New South Wales

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by pomemax » 11 Dec 2018, 9:12 am

my wife can only get cat b (only 1 person can hold cat c per business)
this is how they ensure only the cat C can use the cat c
A person who is an agent, employee or member of the
immediate family of the primary producer may possess or use
a weapon on the primary producer’s land, even if the person
does not hold a licence for that category of weapon, if the
person—
(a) assists the primary producer with primary production on
the land; and
(b) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and
She is not eligible to get Cat c only you are if she had no licence she could use a cat A/B under your direction because she could get the licence.
Personally I would ring/ emailing Firearms get a ruling from them or just buy another safe for A/B and make your Mrs get her A/B
pomemax
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 904
New South Wales

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by grandadbushy » 11 Dec 2018, 9:32 am

I looked at this very situation awhile back up here in Qld and I was told even thought others on the farm can use the guns registered to the farm but
they cannot have access to the safe, the rifle or what ever has to be given to them by the registered farm owner for them to carry out the shooting required
And private rifles can be used providing the worker has a licence for that category A, B or C as like all civilians but the gun registered to the farm can be
used without a licence providing you have permission from the farm owner/manager and are a family member or a worker and can only be used for work related
shooting whatever that may be ( culling, injured animals etc )
They wouldn't elaborate on if a mate came up and wanted to have a shot from the farm registered rifle but the private one they could with supervision

Long story short farm registered guns can't leave the property , nobody can have access to the safe only the farm owner who then gives them to the workers
with permission
Guns privately registered can be given by the owner to other people to use elsewhere providing the other person has a licence for that category
although someone can use the private gun without a licence providing they are being supervised by a licenced person and the licence must cover that caliber
That's about all I could find out and not sure how accurate it is so hope it helps
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1820
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

pomemax wrote:my wife can only get cat b (only 1 person can hold cat c per business)
this is how they ensure only the cat C can use the cat c
A person who is an agent, employee or member of the
immediate family of the primary producer may possess or use
a weapon on the primary producer’s land, even if the person
does not hold a licence for that category of weapon, if the
person—
(a) assists the primary producer with primary production on
the land; and
(b) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and
She is not eligible to get Cat c only you are if she had no licence she could use a cat A/B under your direction because she could get the licence.
Personally I would ring/ emailing Firearms get a ruling from them or just buy another safe for A/B and make your Mrs get her A/B


It says "eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon", nothing about the category so I'm guessing anybody that could get a CatA licence is considered okay.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5408
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

I was under the impression that Cat. C firearms had to be stored in a Approved Cat C. Safe. Does your current safe meet Cat. C regulations?

Personally, I'd store the Cat C firearms separately in an approved Cat C safe.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1187
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I was under the impression that Cat. C firearms had to be stored in a Approved Cat C. Safe. Does your current safe meet Cat. C regulations?

Personally, I'd store the Cat C firearms separately in an approved Cat C safe.


His question is, can he store his other CatA/B firearms in his CatC safe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5408
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

Hi Bladeracer,

Of course HIS A&B firearms can be stored in a Cat C safe with HIS Cat C firearms ,BUT who has access to the safe? I feel that is the most important part. My interpretation is only the person who holds the Cat C licence. A&B licence does not permit access to Cat C. weapons.
Who can use a Cat C firearm; only a person with said licence or person that is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon. If a person is not eligible to obtain a Cat C licence, can't possess or use the weapon..
It's a very sticky situation that can be interpreted several ways.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1187
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 4:55 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hi Bladeracer,

Of course HIS A&B firearms can be stored in a Cat C safe with HIS Cat C firearms ,BUT who has access to the safe? I feel that is the most important part. My interpretation is only the person who holds the Cat C licence. A&B licence does not permit access to Cat C. weapons.
Who can use a Cat C firearm; only a person with said licence or person that is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon. If a person is not eligible to obtain a Cat C licence, can't possess or use the weapon..
It's a very sticky situation that can be interpreted several ways.


I don't read it that way. It doesn't say that a person has to qualify for CatC, only that if they can qualify for a weapon licence then they can use the CatC under direction of the licence holder. But only the licence holder should be able to access the CatC firearms so a second safe would be the best way to ensure that.

I agree, it would only take an anti-gun Police officer and you could be spending lots of money on lawyers to get your licence back.
More safes is always better than one safe :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5408
Victoria

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by grandadbushy » 11 Dec 2018, 7:32 pm

Yep ! bladeracer that's what i'd be doing then it's black and white no grey areas good chance of no further problems that way
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1820
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by Farmerpete » 11 Dec 2018, 8:20 pm

Hi guys thanks for the input if what grandad bushy says is true and my wife cant have access to the safe then what is even the point of the exception if i have to come home to get the gun and ammo then i may aswell go shooting i will email wlq for clarity and post the response
Farmerpete
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Queensland

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by grandadbushy » 11 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm

G'day Farmerpete mate it's as accurate as It can be I suppose as it was given to me by our local sergeant he took a little time to get back to
me and that was his answer
I would also like to see the response they give you when you contact them
Cheers
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1820
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Queensland gun laws