Do i need a seperate safe

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Do i need a seperate safe

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Dec 2018, 9:23 pm

No unlicensed person can access the Safe. If the police front up for a inspection and an unlicensed person opens the safe, kiss all the firearms on the property, along with licences goodbye.

My understanding is that firearms used for work in primary production can only be used on the said farm/property, must be signed out, used for specified job/work and signed back in by the licence holder. The licence holder must be present.

It's opened to too many interpretations. For example - "Possession or use of weapon by unlicensed person in primary production sometimes allowed". OK define "sometimes allowed". :unknown:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 06 Jan 2019, 11:32 am

Just got a reply from weapons licencing it reads as follows
RE: Other - Clarification over section 54 primary producer
P

Weapons Licensing[ADMIN] <WeaponsLicensing@police.qld.gov.au>

Thank you for your Inquiry. Section 54 spells out that an unlicensed person may use a firearm in certain circumstances, by the very nature of the Possession and Use, it would be up to the Primary Producer/Licensee to determine if and when an employee or immediate family member used the firearm or if in fact had access to the safe. It doesn’t state that the Primary Producer has to be in immediate control of the family member and it would be inferred that once instructed appropriately that the Family member would be able to obtain the weapon and conduct the occupational duties unaccompanied, to the point should the Primary Producer not even be on the property, eg holidays or business away.

I hope this information is of assistance, should you need further clarification please call me on the below stated number.

In any event you should seek your own Independent Legal advice regarding the matters raised.

54 Possession or use of weapon by unlicensed person in primary production sometimes allowed

(1) In this section—

primary producer means a person who—

(a) has a licence; and

(b) usually carries out primary production on land (the primary producer’s land), even if only as an agent or employee of another person.

weapon means a weapon that a primary producer possesses under the authority of a licence.

(2) A person who is an agent, employee or member of the immediate family of the primary producer may possess or use a weapon on the primary producer’s land, even if the person does not hold a licence for that category of weapon, if the person—

(a) assists the primary producer with primary production on the land; and

(b) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and

(c) only uses the weapon with the express consent of the primary producer; and

(d) only uses the weapon in connection with carrying out primary production on the land.

Kind Regards
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ponkychonk » 06 Jan 2019, 11:36 pm

so basically what they are saying is that once you have taught your wife about how to use it etc then its fine that she has access to the safe
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by Zappa » 08 Jan 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm finding it hard to understand the logic why the law needs to restrict the number of cat c licences they issue for a business , Given they can restrict the amount of firearms per business, per property.

I see it like giving everyone in the business the ability to know how to drive a forklift , yet only allow one or two forklifts permissible to fulfill requirements.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2019, 6:05 pm

ponkychonk wrote:so basically what they are saying is that once you have taught your wife about how to use it etc then its fine that she has access to the safe

AMAZING.jpg
AMAZING.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws