Chat with NSW Police today on how much practice they get

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Chat with NSW Police today on how much practice they get

Post by wanneroo » 25 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

I think people should understand there are two skills or training modules when it comes to shooting skills for defensive or offensive purposes. One of which is strictly marksmanship training and practice to improve accuracy. The second is force on force training which is focusing on decision making and performing on your feet in whatever defensive or offensive scenario might come your way.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by zhuk » 28 Dec 2018, 7:28 am

Definitely wanneroo. Unfortunately the latter aspect is something that the ordinary beat cop doesn't really get training in (detectives are a different matter)

It's a shame that in order to participate in something like IPSC which although not perfectly suited (IDPA would be better) would at least give practice at shooting under more adrenalin-fuelled situations with movement and fast decision making involved, very few police quite understandably go to the trouble and expense of obtaining civilian licences.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2018, 10:07 pm

zhuk wrote:Definitely wanneroo. Unfortunately the latter aspect is something that the ordinary beat cop doesn't really get training in (detectives are a different matter)

It's a shame that in order to participate in something like IPSC which although not perfectly suited (IDPA would be better) would at least give practice at shooting under more adrenalin-fuelled situations with movement and fast decision making involved, very few police quite understandably go to the trouble and expense of obtaining civilian licences.

I've had way too many dealings with the local Police over Christmas (Long story and not for here or now) and was surprised at how many were shooters, a couple were even IPSC competitors. Several of them bemoaned the fact they couldn't do any private practise with their service firearms even if they paid the range fees and ammo costs themselves. In my opinion the chances of them using a firearm in the execution of their duties is pretty slim but if they had to then I'd want them to be well practised. Shooting is a perishable skill that needs constant practise to maintain proficiency.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 29 Dec 2018, 1:56 am

zhuk wrote:Definitely wanneroo. Unfortunately the latter aspect is something that the ordinary beat cop doesn't really get training in (detectives are a different matter)

Is there any IDPA matches in Australia? I would imagine not.

I shoot in IDPA and there is some stupid stuff in it that I would not use in an actual fight, but it does force you to think on your feet, draw, shoot and move through scenarios. You have to reload under stress and you learn what gear works and what doesn't.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by zhuk » 29 Dec 2018, 6:32 am

wanneroo wrote:

Is there any IDPA matches in Australia? I would imagine not.

I shoot in IDPA and there is some stupid stuff in it that I would not use in an actual fight, but it does force you to think on your feet, draw, shoot and move through scenarios. You have to reload under stress and you learn what gear works and what doesn't.

Nope, youre right absolutely not here. One officer who does shoot IPSC at my club is allowed to draw from his duty thigh holster, and tries to take advantage of cover when going through stages, but as you say, it's far from ideal.

Apart from a yearly mandatory re-qualifying shoot, and if police don't draw their weapon on duty (hopefully not!) there is no chance of actual "practice" to be had. I've had health issues over the last 2 1/2 years and have only shot twice in that time (both competitions) and I know how rusty I felt, and that is after years of constant regular practice. The cops don't stand a chance with their level of training.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 29 Dec 2018, 12:50 pm

zhuk wrote:
Nope, youre right absolutely not here. One officer who does shoot IPSC at my club is allowed to draw from his duty thigh holster, and tries to take advantage of cover when going through stages, but as you say, it's far from ideal.

Apart from a yearly mandatory re-qualifying shoot, and if police don't draw their weapon on duty (hopefully not!) there is no chance of actual "practice" to be had. I've had health issues over the last 2 1/2 years and have only shot twice in that time (both competitions) and I know how rusty I felt, and that is after years of constant regular practice. The cops don't stand a chance with their level of training.

I would imagine if I tried to introduce IDPA matches to Australia or even set a one off one up, there would be heads exploding all over. Heck, the media would probably even get involved, among others. Of course here in the USA, IDPA is oriented towards the concealed or open carrier who carries a pistol for defensive purposes. People being able to defend themselves in Australia is a foreign concept now.

My wider concern with countries like Australia, being our allies and all, is that once society loses marksmanship skills, they typically don't fare as well in battles and wars and certainly will not fare as well with any societal disruption.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sungazer » 29 Dec 2018, 12:54 pm

wanneroo wrote:
zhuk wrote:

My wider concern with countries like Australia, being our allies and all, is that once society loses marksmanship skills, they typically don't fare as well in battles and wars and certainly will not fare as well with any societal disruption.

Dont worry too much mate there are still plenty of very skilled rifle shooters both in competition events and on the farm. We did alright at the latest F class world titles came home with some silverware. Also fared pretty well in the line up at Bisley.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to New South Wales gun laws