audit

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

audit

Post by duncan61 » 18 Dec 2018, 9:15 pm

I received a call from firearms today to do a safe audit.Its going down 10am Friday morning I will post and report on how it went :D :D
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2018, 9:52 pm

duncan61 wrote:I received a call from firearms today to do a safe audit.Its going down 10am Friday morning I will post and report on how it went :D :D

Double check everything, including empty cases and if the missus isn't licensed make sure she has no idea where the keys to the safe are located. Good luck and remember to clench those butt cheeks :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 19 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

I only have my 3 gun safe and 3 rifles at this address everything else is at an industrial workshop I dont have access too.Could be interesting
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 20 Dec 2018, 7:21 am

Just had my first inspection by NSW police yesterday, officers were very polite (one a bit more standoffish than the other), they waited for me to get home(they were ten minutes early), checked serial numbers, counted the bolts holding the safe in place, only issue i had was there is one more rifle in the safe than my wife knew about but she was outside hanging the washing on the line! So all good with the police and all good with the minister of war!
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 20 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

I always make a point of showing them the empty spare magazines as well.

Good Luck.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

PaddyT wrote:Just had my first inspection by NSW police yesterday, officers were very polite (one a bit more standoffish than the other), they waited for me to get home(they were ten minutes early), checked serial numbers, counted the bolts holding the safe in place, only issue i had was there is one more rifle in the safe than my wife knew about but she was outside hanging the washing on the line! So all good with the police and all good with the minister of war!

The old good cop bad cop routine still works, lucky for you the bad cop was hanging the washing :lol:

When I had my first check I had an unexperienced lady and a much older bloke, as I handed my firearms over from the safe for them to check the numbers I did the normal thing of opening the action to show them it was unloaded, after the second rifle the bloke said "you dont need to keep doing that", I politely ignored him.
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 6:35 am

Funny you say that, i showed them all 3 as being clear (bolts out anyway)and the grumpy one rolled his eyes on the third rifle, I always thought safety comes first!
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 9:13 am

can we really blame them though. beat cops (especially aussies ones) deal with a lot of different stuff. firearms related stuff might be < 10% of all the time they spend on duty. They should send someone out from the FAR to do inspections who actually knows which end goes bang.
Rossi Circuit Judge .22/.22 WMR
Remington 783 .308
Ruger American .22 WMR
Gamo .177 Air Rifle
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 21 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

You mean less than 1% lol
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

Yeah we can blame them , they do have the power to issue a breach and then take away our firearms, so hell yeah they should be attentive and follow procedure- infact they should have a std operating procedure then its no mystery to an owner as to what they will be checking!
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

PaddyT wrote:Yeah we can blame them , they do have the power to issue a breach and then take away our firearms, so hell yeah they should be attentive and follow procedure- infact they should have a std operating procedure then its no mystery to an owner as to what they will be checking!

Most cops don't care about guns. Heck they can't even use their sidearm effectively. As much as we'd love them to have an understanding of the pillars of gun safety and not rolling their eyes when we clear each gun in front of them, those wishes aren't realistic i think.
Remington 783 .308
Ruger American .22 WMR
Gamo .177 Air Rifle
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Dec 2018, 10:33 am

Yeah , you are right but i still reckon they should have a SOP to follow, save them and us a lot of confusion
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 21 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

PaddyT wrote:Yeah , you are right but i still reckon they should have a SOP to follow, save them and us a lot of confusion

Compleatly agree. If the po-po can't be bothered sending knowledgeable officers about firearms to conduct an audit, at least give them a f***ing paper cheat sheet for what to do.
Remington 783 .308
Ruger American .22 WMR
Gamo .177 Air Rifle
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 21 Dec 2018, 11:35 am

duncan61 wrote:I only have my 3 gun safe and 3 rifles at this address everything else is at an industrial workshop I dont have access too.Could be interesting

I'd say you'll be fine. They may want to make an arrangement for another time to check - but most likely not as most cops understand that this is just as much as a waste of time as what we do. It takes them away from doing real policing, and it's done primarily as a publicity stunt to keep certain political activists happy in appearing as though they're contributing to the reduction of gun crime. They've just got to tick a box that they've done a visit.

You know... the same political activists who keep on insisting that the majority of gun crime is done either by licenced firearm owners, or guns stolen from licensed firearm owners - even though the stats show this to be only 3%.

Still, let us know how you go.
doc
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

It went well My safe was not compliant but they have given me a week to replace it and I have already found a replacement I forgot we modified the hinge system on my old one.There is no issue with me having the rest of my stuff stored at a seperate address.they were polite and knowledgeable and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned
duncan61
Captain
Captain

Western Australia

Post by Ziad » 21 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

Ohhh crap
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

duncan61 wrote:........... and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned

How did that subject enter the process?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

duncan61 wrote: and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned

Pretty much proves the point that registration is nothing more than to control the law abiding. Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Australian gun laws