Safe audit WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: audit

Post by ponkychonk » 23 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:The act covers a lot of information but not bolt storage.

I wasn't aware that WA required you to remove the bolts.

We aren't required to remove them here. Dunno why one wouldn't just leave them in the guns. That's what almost everyone does
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by ponkychonk » 23 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

duncan61 wrote:bolt storage is still a grey area.It is O.K.to keep them in the ammo locker but not recommended????I will try to get some clarity when they return soon and they will be returning.I will be getting my compliant safe today and switching them out so all is good

Hi Duncan, why not just keep them in the guns? In WA that is perfectly legal and recommended.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by duncan61 » 23 Dec 2018, 1:31 pm

The police did state:they are part of the firearm:I am going to keep mine seperate regardless
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 1:53 pm

duncan61 wrote:The police did state:they are part of the firearm:I am going to keep mine seperate regardless

I don't even remove the magazines. Too often I've wandered up the paddock to find I've left the bloody magazine back at my office :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by doc » 24 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

duncan61 wrote:and they monitor this site like hawks to see what we are all up too.Lesson learned

I'm not surprised, and in many ways I'm glad. They probably get more honest feedback from sites like this than they do directly. Especially when it comes to members not knowing the laws, mistakes that are made during inspections, etc. Hopefully this site, and sites like it help cops to learn the misconceptions / inaccurate understandings they have of the law as well.

duncan61 wrote:The police did state:they are part of the firearm:I am going to keep mine seperate regardless

I've heard of cops in Vic saying the same thing which isn't true. At least I've been able to find nothing about it in the regs.

I don't know of anyone who's been charged because of it - just numerous people warned. Not sure if it's ignorance on VicPol's part, or whether there's been an incorrect entry in an internal memo as to "what to look out for". I'm suspecting the latter - as numerous cops being 'sure' without reciting the acts sounds as though someone's saying somethin' at training day or in checklists, etc that simply ain't so but others are taking as gospel.

Edit: With any luck the cops are reading this thread and will correct it internally. :lol:
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by duncan61 » 24 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

safes.JPG
safes.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5158 times
job done
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Dec 2018, 4:39 pm

Yep looks the part now Duncan61 nice and neat :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 24 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm

I am going to get all my gear Thursday so will be reloading the 7mm you sent me
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm

Yeah mate let us know how they go I've actually got 3 loads now for the 7mm a 154gr Hornady sp a 156gr oryx and the barnes 160gr tsx
they all give me 1/2'' to 5/8'' so not bad but I only want 2 so i'm of 2 minds which one to drop i'll keep the 154gr sp as it's good for dogs then the
oryx and the tsx are the same price the tsx is solid copper and leaves the barrel fairly dirty with only 2 shots then the oryx also hits like a brick but doesn't leave the barrel dirty but are harder to get so i'll have to decide soon :thumbsup: :drinks:
cheers :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 11:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:I'd just keep in mind police are people just like us trying to make a living, families etc. Most are very good a few not so good. Policeing is known to be very stressful at times. They are just doing their job. It's the politicians that make the law.

Do your best to abide by the (confusing) rules, be polite and it should be OK.

If I get decent police - I’ll offer them a coffeee and talk about all manner of stuff, including their s**ty job and might even invite them for a shot. If I get a power tripper, I remind them they are being video’d and sound recorded on entry to the property and it’s treated like a tense business dealing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Dec 2018, 2:17 pm

I don't know if this is legit or not, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I was talking to my niece today, she's not a shooter but her boyfriend is and has a number of firearms.
She said the police were around to check him over again just recently and told them they no longer need to make a suitable time nor give any notice.
The officers inspecting just lobbed, said welcome to the new policy, open up.

This is NSW, anyone know if there has been a change from mutual convenience?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ponkychonk » 25 Dec 2018, 2:39 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't know if this is legit or not, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I was talking to my niece today, she's not a shooter but her boyfriend is and has a number of firearms.
She said the police were around to check him over again just recently and told them they no longer need to make a suitable time nor give any notice.

Can't help ya, sorry. In WA they are required under the Firearms Act to give written notice of up to 10 days (you could always have them come earlier within that 1-10 day period if you wanted.)
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 3:46 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't know if this is legit or not, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

So registered owner is unavailable and he’s the only one with keys...so bye.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Dec 2018, 4:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

So registered owner is unavailable and he’s the only one with keys...so bye.

Nice in theory Tas, but firearms permits have a mugshot remember. A matter of moments to check from the car, that's if it's not on their paperwork already.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Dec 2018, 4:48 pm

Unavailable as in - “im sorry but I’m on my way out”. As far as I understand it, you do not have to oblige an unannounced visit from anyone - unless your being detained / arrested / warrant application for something and I doubt a regular audit would meet that criteria - which is why they make appointments - they don’t want to waste their time either...you are still in a free country at the moment (kind of) and can make your own appointments to do what ever you want...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 25 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

I asked what happens if a mutual appointment can not be set.They get a warrant and seize
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2018, 8:16 pm

duncan61 wrote:I asked what happens if a mutual appointment can not be set.They get a warrant and seize

Wouldn't they require some legal grounds to get a warrant though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 25 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm

an interesting topic we have here. i can't contribute but will be watching intently.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ponkychonk » 26 Dec 2018, 12:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:I asked what happens if a mutual appointment can not be set.They get a warrant and seize

Wouldn't they require some legal grounds to get a warrant though?

In WA, the firearms act specifies you get a 10 day period where they are required to give you written advice. But it ALSO specifies that, if you don't allow the inspection within that 10 days, you are committing an offence. So if you wait even 11 days, you are committing an offence and can have everything confiscated
Last edited by ponkychonk on 27 Dec 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by duncan61 » 27 Dec 2018, 8:34 pm

I am all done new safe done and ammo/bolts locked in steel box in locked shed.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

It seems I did have the bull by the balls here.
I think if it keeps happening I should maybe buy him dinner. :oops:

I actually got to speak to my niece's boyfriend in person today, and my niece had got it mixed up. But not the way I thought.
According to her boyfriend, the cops said it was the last time they would be doing the inspections as they were being discontinued as costing too much with no productivity outcomes.

I can't be bothered spending 3 weeks of my life waiting on hold to ask NSW FAR if this is the case, anyone heard this?
Sounds highly unlikely to me, but there's no reason for him to blow smoke up me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jan 2019, 2:30 pm

I have made an appointment for tomorrow for the final inspection I have bought a keysafe and a padlock for the shed as well
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2019, 11:54 am

Still did not pass.Gun safe fine but live ammo must be stored as per firearms in separate safe a big one from bunnings will do.Ammo reloading components are not considered live ammo and powder must be stored in locked container
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jan 2019, 1:14 pm

duncan61 wrote:Still did not pass.Gun safe fine but live ammo must be stored as per firearms in separate safe a big one from bunnings will do.Ammo reloading components are not considered live ammo and powder must be stored in locked container

I don’t understand this - I walk into Roberts town and country and they have live ammo sitting behind the counter unlocked...firearms ? Yep, locked and chained. Reloading powder IS kept seperate but live ammo, anyone can reach across and look at...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jan 2019, 1:18 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:

It seems I did have the bull by the balls here.
I think if it keeps happening I should maybe buy him dinner. :oops:

I actually got to speak to my niece's boyfriend in person today, and my niece had got it mixed up. But not the way I thought.
According to her boyfriend, the cops said it was the last time they would be doing the inspections as they were being discontinued as costing too much with no productivity outcomes.

I can't be bothered spending 3 weeks of my life waiting on hold to ask NSW FAR if this is the case, anyone heard this?
Sounds highly unlikely to me, but there's no reason for him to blow smoke up me.

I rang Tas police when I put my 3rd safe in and asked when they’d like to inspect it - they said similar. When we get time - or never. We know you have done first two correctly and we just don’t have time to come out - so the answer is “sporadic inspections” going forward...but they did say they will give plenty of notice and you can decline first offering, if it does not suit...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2019, 1:36 pm

$101 at Bunnings scored me a safe that will hold all my live ammo going to bolt it in now and spend the rest of the day making .243 and preparing Hornet cases
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by 1Fatman » 03 Jan 2019, 1:40 pm

duncan61 wrote:Still did not pass.Gun safe fine but live ammo must be stored as per firearms in separate safe a big one from bunnings will do.Ammo reloading components are not considered live ammo and powder must be stored in locked container

Powder must be stored in a wooden box made of 19mm plywood or hardwood, lockable with brass hinges.
Screws or bolts on the inside need to be filed flat, the box has to be painted in a light colour with the correct stickers placed on it.
It also must be able to be carried in the event of a fire etc.

Not what you would call real secure.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jan 2019, 3:31 pm

Although ammo is not considered particularly dangerous on its own I have noticed ( I think) in each state a conflict within the regulations regarding the storage of ammo, powders, primers.

From a dangerous goods point of view you would want to store all of them in a very lightly build wooden box or a lightly built metal container that is earthed. Wood doesnt create or retain static and you shouldn't confine an an explosion as it just increases the damage.

YET, that is a contradiction to what the government wants. Put it in a very strong metal container and no requirement to earth.. DOH

If you were in a work place the first scinerio wooden boxes the norm..

Best option would be locked 3 or 4 ply box stored in a locked shed or room..
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 03 Jan 2019, 4:33 pm

duncan61 wrote:.Ammo reloading components are not considered live ammo and powder must be stored in locked container

Obviously the copper in question has never read sec 4 of the Firearms Act 1973 (western Australia) that states "for the purpose of the act ammunition includes ALL components used in the manufacture of ammunition " :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2019, 5:04 pm

Not correct. WA considers any components of ammunition to be ammunition. Secure storage for empty brass and bullets is exactly the same as for live ammo.
How did they even notice your ammo - wasn't it locked up out of sight?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws