audit

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

Re: audit

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

trekin wrote:Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.



The dark web Trekkin, is just that sort of place.

My question was how this specific site, and the alleged close monitoring, came up in a safe storage inspection.
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1642
New South Wales

Re: audit

Post by trekin » 21 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
trekin wrote:Just a pity there wasn't a forum site/webpages just for the criminally inclined that they could monitor with the same amount of enthusiasm.



The dark web Trekkin, is just that sort of place.

My question was how this specific site, and the alleged close monitoring, came up in a safe storage inspection.

"I know nothing" (in the best Sgt Schulze voice, while speaking to the lampshade) of this dark web you speak of :allegedly: I could think of a few ways this topic may have come up, but this would only be speculation on my behalf. Would be much better hearing from the goose's mouth (mixed metaphor, no disrepect for the OP).
Edit to add, I know the police (State and Federal, pro and anti) are openly active in monitoring most of the FB/ MeWe sites I'm a member of.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
User avatar
trekin
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 444
Queensland

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 5:55 pm

gunsafe.jpg
gunsafe.jpg (153.63 KiB) Viewed 192 times
I worked with my son today and guess what I learned.They monitor everything and have the I P address and know what room you were in when you posted.I wont be posting pictures of dead animals unless they are all cleaned up and looking happy.On the fishing site I use we are asked to clean up the fish so the photos are not gory.DB was right if I keep my head in the sand my bottom will be bitten.I have the new safe already which will be put at the workshop and I am getting another one Sunday to replace my old one at the house.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 5:58 pm

duncan61 wrote:
gunsafe.jpg
I worked with my son today and guess what I learned.They monitor everything and have the I P address and know what room you were in when you posted.I wont be posting pictures of dead animals unless they are all cleaned up and looking happy.On the fishing site I use we are asked to clean up the fish so the photos are not gory.DB was right if I keep my head in the sand my bottom will be bitten.I have the new safe already which will be put at the workshop and I am getting another one Sunday to replace my old one at the house.


Always assume anything you say online can be used against you.
An external hinge?
Has that been inspected and passed as okay before?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4773
Victoria

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

I will answer your question Gaz the senior constable looked at me intensely when we were done and stated we monitor all websites be careful what you post.It was the other policeman that was chatting about shooting and forums he is on a few.I never mentioned Enough gun not that it would matter anything public can be followed
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:04 pm

duncan61 wrote:...anything public can be followed


Even "private" forums can be followed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4773
Victoria

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

No Blade I had forgotten my mate had done it.Its all good,we will tech screw it to the trailer when we go south and store firearms in it like we used to so we can eat at the roadhouse without someone having to be at the car.The internal hinges are still there but modified so it opens.I am getting a good newer safe Sunday to replace it and the other one will be offered to my deceased mates son complete with a co user form and his dads rifles.I will keep the keys till it is all sorted then he will be responsible for his fathers gear.It is all on my licence at the moment,The police were efficient and fair I am pleased to report and understood the situation and have given me time to sort it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm

Fair enough mate, I don't doubt it, just wondered.
:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1642
New South Wales

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 21 Dec 2018, 6:31 pm

I got one laugh the senior kept referring to them as weapons so I called him on it as they are firearms so today they are firearms tomorrow they will be weapons again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

I'd just keep in mind police are people just like us trying to make a living, families etc. Most are very good a few not so good. Policeing is known to be very stressful at times. They are just doing their job. It's the politicians that make the law.

Do your best to abide by the (confusing) rules, be polite and it should be OK.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5064
Victoria

Re: audit

Post by grandadbushy » 23 Dec 2018, 10:49 am

I tell you what I for one wouldn't like to have their job the abuse they receive at times from people is stupid its of no wonder some get cranky but yes 'the cranky one should do it more professional rather than take it out on the good people
The two we have locally are good blokes but mind you do everything right they can be your friend but they do have a job to do
As far as monitoring the sites and forums well it is open for all to see there's no confidentiality act signed when joining these forums
If you were of the type of person that likes to flaunt the laws then you would be mad to brag on this forum or any other and if it was to the point of affecting others on the forum then I doubt you would be welcome on that site because you would bring unwanted notoriety to that site
The biggest thing I see with audits on guns and safes is the interpretation of the law by different officers some times little things can be interpreted
differently depending on mood at the time I would like the GLB to put out an A4 paper to list the requirements expected on auditing days
so people can make that their every day requirement and it would be hard to become complacent because of having to chase info on the net and
rely on second hand info I know the laws are there but a list that could be sat on the safe door to jog the memory every time you enter the safe
Just a thought :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
grandadbushy
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1462
Queensland

Re: audit

Post by trekin » 23 Dec 2018, 11:18 am

grandadbushy wrote:I tell you what I for one wouldn't like to have their job the abuse they receive at times from people is stupid its of no wonder some get cranky but yes 'the cranky one should do it more professional rather than take it out on the good people
The two we have locally are good blokes but mind you do everything right they can be your friend but they do have a job to do
As far as monitoring the sites and forums well it is open for all to see there's no confidentiality act signed when joining these forums
If you were of the type of person that likes to flaunt the laws then you would be mad to brag on this forum or any other and if it was to the point of affecting others on the forum then I doubt you would be welcome on that site because you would bring unwanted notoriety to that site
The biggest thing I see with audits on guns and safes is the interpretation of the law by different officers some times little things can be interpreted
differently depending on mood at the time I would like the GLB to put out an A4 paper to list the requirements expected on auditing days
so people can make that their every day requirement and it would be hard to become complacent because of having to chase info on the net and
rely on second hand info I know the laws are there but a list that could be sat on the safe door to jog the memory every time you enter the safe
Just a thought :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Such a list would still be dependant of someones interuptation of the laws. Best thing I find, is to copy the appropriate Section from the Act, each States' Acts are avialable from their State Govt websites for download, and if questioned about something at an inspection, hand the copy to the officer and politely ask where you have contravined said Section.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
User avatar
trekin
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 444
Queensland

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 23 Dec 2018, 11:27 am

bolt storage is still a grey area.It is O.K.to keep them in the ammo locker but not recommended????I will try to get some clarity when they return soon and they will be returning.I will be getting my compliant safe today and switching them out so all is good
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by trekin » 23 Dec 2018, 11:31 am

duncan61 wrote:bolt storage is still a grey area.It is O.K.to keep them in the ammo locker but not recommended????I will try to get some clarity when they return soon and they will be returning.I will be getting my compliant safe today and switching them out so all is good

What, exactly does your States firearms Act say on the matter?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
User avatar
trekin
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 444
Queensland

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 23 Dec 2018, 12:33 pm

It covers the cabinet requirements and has suggestions on concealing the safe etc.I will search deeper
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by duncan61 » 23 Dec 2018, 12:38 pm

The act covers a lot of information but not bolt storage.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Western Australia

Re: audit

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 12:39 pm

duncan61 wrote:The act covers a lot of information but not bolt storage.


I wasn't aware that WA required you to remove the bolts.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4773
Victoria

Re: audit

Post by trekin » 23 Dec 2018, 1:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:The act covers a lot of information but not bolt storage.

Can you cut and paste here, or provide a link?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
User avatar
trekin
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 444
Queensland

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Australian gun laws