QLD Swap Like for Like Firearms, Anyone done it?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD Swap Like for Like Firearms, Anyone done it?

Post by Mulder030 » 08 Jan 2019, 12:40 pm

G'day all,

Looking at checking out a rifle at a store on the weekend which if all is good, would allow me to "swap like for like". Has anyone completed one of these before?
everything go smoothly?

As the store is multiple hours away I wanted to confirm that as there is no need for a PTA, there won't be any waiting times to taking the exchanged rifle home. (in and out same day, rifle exchanged). Is that correct?

For anyone seeking a back story. I purchased a Howa, .308, s/s lite barrel as I thought I would be walking and stalking on properties more. In reality I found myself taking to the target side of things and the Howa lite barrel gets no shooting time. Found a Howa, .308, s/s varmint which if upon inspection is all good would be more suited to my shooting style. but also used for both applications.

any feedback would be appreciated if anyone has previously completed.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: QLD Swap Like for Like Firearms, Anyone done it?

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Jan 2019, 1:08 pm

Yep; did one back in September.

Swapped out our elderly and unreliable Remington 788 .223, for a new Howa 1500 Stainless synthetic .223.

Aside from checking beforehand with my LGS that they had the rifle in stock, it all happened inside 20 minutes.
[But then they know me quite well, but we did all the relevant paperwork right there & then]

I was amazed.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Jan 2019, 1:09 pm

Just confirming; NO PTA, and aside from signing the relevant documents to show you've changed over the firearms, it was walk-in/walk-out.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 08 Jan 2019, 1:22 pm

Yep did one for my 22wmr a couple of weeks ago. As rod said no pta no wait time handed over the old barrel and action(my lgs let me keep all the bits like stock sights trigger group bolt etc) signed some paperwork and walked out with the "new" rifle in around twenty minutes. :thumbsup: :drinks:
I started a thread titled "A gun law I can applaud" that has a few posts about it. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yep did one for my 22wmr a couple of weeks ago. As rod said no pta no wait time handed over the old barrel and action(my lgs let me keep all the bits like stock sights trigger group bolt etc) signed some paperwork and walked out with the "new" rifle in around twenty minutes. :thumbsup: :drinks:
I started a thread titled "A gun law I can applaud" that has a few posts about it. :drinks:

Do you mean they destroy the rifle you take in? Wouldn't it be worth selling it and putting that toward the replacement?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 08 Jan 2019, 2:05 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Just confirming; NO PTA, and aside from signing the relevant documents to show you've changed over the firearms, it was walk-in/walk-out.

Rod_outbak wrote:Yep; did one back in September.

Swapped out our elderly and unreliable Remington 788 .223, for a new Howa 1500 Stainless synthetic .223.

Aside from checking beforehand with my LGS that they had the rifle in stock, it all happened inside 20 minutes.
[But then they know me quite well, but we did all the relevant paperwork right there & then]

I was amazed.

Cheers Guys, exactly what I wanted to hear. lol
fingers crossed I like the looks of this other rifle.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 08 Jan 2019, 2:07 pm

In my case the chamber was completely f@#ked. When I shot standard velocity rounds they would expand and "slip" the extractor so it would only shoot and extract subs. So I brought the "new" rifle complete for a hundy and the lgs cut up the action (probably kept the barrel as there's no numbers on it) and I swapped parts to make a shooter and kept all the spares. If the rifle is still in working order they'll probably on sell it and give mulder a trade in price for it. :unknown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

done the "like for like" quite a few times. walk into gun shop, haggle over the trade in price for the old gun on the other "new" gun, do the paperwork, pay the difference in price on the new gun (if any ) , walk out 15-20 mins later with a different gun . the last trade i did was a 308 ruger gunsite for a 308 sako A7 . paid a couple of hundred on top of the trade cause the sako's worth more, and walked out with it 15 mins later. :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws