NSW PTA application online

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW PTA application online

Post by thunderbird » 25 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

I applied for a PTA on NSW service website yesterday (paid the $30, as part of the process). I receive the receipt by email right after, but I cannot see the application in "My applications" tab. Any one here knows what would happen after submitting the application online? How can I check the status and roughly how long does it take before the actual PTA arrived? Much appreciated!
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW PTA application online

Post by zhuk » 26 Jan 2019, 12:15 am

You check on FAR's site https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/lice ... search.jsp

Longarm PTA took 7 days for me, handgun six weeks
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 27 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

thunderbird wrote:I applied for a PTA on NSW service website yesterday (paid the $30, as part of the process). I receive the receipt by email right after, but I cannot see the application in "My applications" tab. Any one here knows what would happen after submitting the application online? How can I check the status and roughly how long does it take before the actual PTA arrived? Much appreciated!

If it's for a category that you haven't owned before, you'll wait a minimum of 28 days.
Processing time for A-B seems to be under a week at the moment (in addition to the 28 days)

Once approved, it will take roughly a week for them to send you the paperwork you need to take to the gun shop.

So if you already have that type of firearm (around 1-2 weeks, typically)
If you don't (around 6 weeks)

As the post before me stated, use that link to check the status.
Your PTA won't appear on Service NSW
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 27 Jan 2019, 3:30 pm

Thanks guys. I actually found out how to check the progress as well.

For anyone who also has the same question:
Go to https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/lice ... search.jsp
Enter your licence number and search. The status of the PTA/licence will appear in the result page.
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ranchmonkey » 08 Jul 2019, 3:01 pm

Hi guys,
Did the online PTA and showing as approved through the website...do I now need to await snail mail for the actual form or can shop do it from the web-based numbers?
Ranchmonkey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 09 Jul 2019, 1:15 am

Ranchmonkey wrote:do I now need to await snail mail for the actual form or can shop do it from the web-based numbers?

Need the paper to take possession of your gun - when u do, the shop will fill the form out and give u half as temporary registration papers for your gun .. they’ll send the rest to FAR, who after a while (3-4 weeks) will send u actual registration papers.

Something like that ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ranchmonkey » 09 Jul 2019, 10:38 am

Cheers!
Ranchmonkey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 09 Jul 2019, 12:13 pm

last one i done via online took
PTA lodged on the 7/4
PTA on their web site status issued on the 9/4
PTA in my hand 15/4
Next we need to start lobbying for the return of PTA by email do away with Snail mail would be cheaper for them too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 24 Jul 2019, 11:52 am

My latest one was very quick
Lodged Mon 22/7/19 at 3pm
Application in Progress online 23/7
Approved application 24/7

Now we wait for Australia Post.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 24 Jul 2019, 3:48 pm

Do you think you could enter the PTA once firearms status has shown as approved and send to RMS or do you have to wait until you receive the actual piece of plastic?
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by justgav » 24 Jul 2019, 5:07 pm

First H - Application Date 05-06-2019
Still waiting - so a bit over 6 weeks, into the 7th week.. sigh....
justgav
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 25 Jul 2019, 9:45 am

K2bonsai wrote:Do you think you could enter the PTA once firearms status has shown as approved and send to RMS or do you have to wait until you receive the actual piece of plastic?

I have lodged 2 PTAs yesterday without my physical license in hand. it seems that it takes around 24 hours for the two systems to sync after the FAR portal changes to Valid, allowing you to lodge your PTA on the ServiceNSW website.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Jul 2019, 1:16 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Do you think you could enter the PTA once firearms status has shown as approved and send to RMS or do you have to wait until you receive the actual piece of plastic?

As Plink said, as long as your online status is "valid" the ServiceNSW site will allow you to submit a PTA application ... but it can take overnight from the first time it turns "valid" for ServiceNSW to recognise it ... The "valid" status is F.A.R whilst the PTA application begins at ServiceNSW, so can take overnight for their computers to sync up.

Your online status typically turns "valid" after you do your photo (a few days after) .. but can occur before you actually receive the plastic card (which can take 5 days to receive). ... so you could save a day or two

justgav wrote:First H - Application Date 05-06-2019
Still waiting - so a bit over 6 weeks, into the 7th week.. sigh....

Yeah, from all reports H takes longer as "zhuk" said earlier in this thread .. hopefully hasn't slipped too far from 6 weeks

Understand the "sigh" .. I've got a few things outstanding at the FAR
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws