Ruger charger Archangel stock kit in WA?

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

Ruger charger Archangel stock kit in WA?

Post by mikey97 » 05 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

Hey all I was wondering on the legality of the ruger charger arch angel stock kit in Western Australia and whether you are allowed to own them and shoot them at the range cheers
mikey97
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Ruger charger Archangel stock kit in WA?

Post by ponkychonk » 06 Feb 2019, 11:42 am

It's a bit of a complicated question and answer, but I'll try to make it as clear as possible:

1 - You are allowed to own the CHASSIS by itself. By itself the chassis is considered an "imitation firearm" under Item 10 of Schedule 2 of the Weapons Regulations 1999. Thus, it is not a firearm in anyway and, despite what the gunshop may try tell you, does not require any form of license or permit to own.

2 - You are allowed to own a Ruger Charger by itself for club shooting as a Category H firearm

3 - Your club may or may not allow you to use the Ruger Charger in the chassis - the answer varies between clubs and you would have to ask your club president / boss etc.

4 - The important part: the legality of actually owning a Ruger Charger INSIDE the chassis is unclear. There is no *general* rule against it - we are allowed to have firearms in chassis's in WA, HOWEVER: I can almost guarantee if the police saw the chassis they would say it is a category D firearm based on appearance - i.e it is similar in appearance to a self-loading centre-fire rifle.
.177Air
.357/.38SP
7.62x54R
8MM Mauser
.303 British
.410bore Lever
12GA Lever
12GA Coach
7.62x38mmR
ponkychonk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal